Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Vibrations (the humming kind)

dwels

Hi,

Not posted on this site before, but have done a few on "the other site" a while ago, so hello!

A while ago, I started getting a vibration through the car at 70+ (on the speedo - i.e. less than 70 :whistle:). It's a little hard to describe, but a kind of deep humming noise and a gentle buzz at my feet. A little like driving on the rumble strip on the motorway - only much less violent.
Then, slowly, this started to happen at lower speeds too, then all over the place. I reckoned on UJs and got my local garage to check them out. They replaced the very front one (with one I supplied from Milner) and everything was smooth as silk again - until I hit 70. The "original" problem was still there.
I don't know if the original vibrations caused the UJ to fail (or accelerated the failure) or if it was totally unrelated. The vibrations don't seem to be getting any worse, but it can't be healthy and it's driving me nuts!

If anyone has an insight, I'd be very grateful!

Cheers,
Dan.

Hello, glad to see you made it across :)

Sounds like it could be tyres? Have you tried swapping/borrowing them with some others to see if it fixes the problem?

where abouts are you? its very hard to describe noises or vibs so its hard to say without looking at the car. have you poked you head underneath to make sure nothing is clearing knackered? are all the bolts/nuts tight? any movement in the ball joints ?

@stumog - I'm South West Bucks / South East Oxfordshire. I have had a poke around and (to me) there's nothing obvious.

@grantw - Thanks - I'll give the tyres a go front <-> back. It may not fix it, but if things change, that'll be a big clue.

Oh and sorry - forgot to say! It's a '94 Auto Diesel 225k miles.

If you have checked the UJ's, maybe wheel bearing?

I posted something similar 2 days ago . It turned out I only needed my wheels balanced again , 15 quid I guess I just lost a balance weight .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back