Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wanted: Bolts. Lots of bolts

Dan W

Garage
Howdy, I'm attempting to service my front axle and lots of the bolts involved are being awkward and either snapping or rounding off.
Tomorrow I'll try and post part numbers if they're needed but for now I need these parts please:

Knuckle Spindle mounting bolts x 8

Oil seal retainer bolts x 12 (this is only a maybe as a neighbour has offered me some good quality bolts with the correct thread, but they're marginally shorter)

ABS sensor bolt x 2 (holds the ABS sensor and connector onto the knuckle)

Crown nuts x 3 (one for each of the tie rods)

The control arm bolts and cone washers x 4 (I'm pretty sure the ones I have are OK but I've yet to clean them up so would rather have some to hand in case there's one or two I don't like the look of)

And finally a front diff filler plug (because even that hates me)

Two non-nut related parts:

Nearside ABS plug (the grey plug that's covered by a rubber boot that connects to the ABS sensor in the knuckle. A piece of wood has hit the ABS wire and snapped the plug because.....)

ABS wire bracket. I'm not sure what their proper name is and I can't find it on the diagrams but it's a metal bracker that takes the ABS wire safely past the shocks and up close to the steering knuckle. Mine had been snapped and has taken out the ABS plug. Need both nearside and offside please.

I would need them by the weekend as I need to have car back on the road next week but can collect them if they're fairly local to Nottinghamshire.
Thanks very much for reading

Last edited:
Just a word of warning, if you are considering the Milner or Roughtrax bolts and nuts then don't. I bought a full set of studs, nuts, cone washers, etc. (I can't recall which item came from which company but they were all rubbish!!) even trying to tighten up the nuts to their specified torque stripped the threads of 2 of the 6 studs in the hub. The spring washers were so weak that they distorted out of shape when tightening down onto them. Those that didn't go out of shape simply flattened, never to return to their sprung position. I ended up getting a load of quality spring washers from my fastenings suppliers and cannibalised a couple of spare hubs for the studs. I used the best from each axle to make a full set. The rest of the "chocolate" bolts went in the bucket!

Just a word of warning, if you are considering the Milner or Roughtrax bolts and nuts then don't. I bought a full set of studs, nuts, cone washers, etc. (I can't recall which item came from which company but they were all rubbish!!) even trying to tighten up the nuts to their specified torque stripped the threads of 2 of the 6 studs in the hub. The spring washers were so weak that they distorted out of shape when tightening down onto them. Those that didn't go out of shape simply flattened, never to return to their sprung position. I ended up getting a load of quality spring washers from my fastenings suppliers and cannibalised a couple of spare hubs for the studs. I used the best from each axle to make a full set. The rest of the "chocolate" bolts went in the bucket!

Thanks for that. The only replacment bolts I've bought so far are the Trailgear hub bolts and cone washers. They are supposed to unbreakable but I'm guessing that's just a marketing gimmick. All of those bolts came out fine though but I'll change them for the sake of it.
I'll avoid Milners and Roughtrax then. I was going to ask at the fittings place about the knuckle spindle mounting bolts but there was some discussion about whether store bought bolts were the correct strength so I may and up going to Toyota as I'm running out of time to do it.

Really need the ABS sensor plug though and the ABS brackets if anyone has a breaker (I've had a look on the EPC and neither of them seem to have part numbers, will try and post a picture though)?

Back