Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Warning, Danger, Tyre Thread Alert

Brian S

Country Flag
england
:lol::lol:
Need to get some tyres for the Collie,
Looking for something 60 or 70% road bias, for the fuel economy, but not leave me stuck when I want a bit of fun
Have been looking at Pirelli Scorpion ATR, Michelin Latitude Cross, General Grabber, BFG

At the moment I have a mixture of Avon Ranger ATT and Land...(something or other) AT which I've never heard of

Guidance (or further confusing:lol:) required

While looking for tyres for Helen's truck i felt i should be getting general grabber as they look more road bias and seem to have a reputation for lasting a long time , the price was good to iirc . But no she want's something more aggressive like my cooper stt so i think it will be BFG's because from what i've read i think they will outlast my coopers .

Looked at Cooper tyres yet?

As above.
I am not driving a Cruiser-yet- but a Mitsubishi Delica and about the tire I had the General Grabber A/T and now the Cooper At3. Both size on 265/ 70/ 15.
I love the Cooper AT3, very quiet on the road and I they have very good grip on the wet.
The General Grabber are also very good but a little more noisy and for this I will go back to the Cooper once needed.
Its nice to hear you thinking when driving... :icon-eek:

As above.
I am not driving a Cruiser-yet- but a Mitsubishi Delica and about the tire I had the General Grabber A/T and now the Cooper At3. Both size on 265/ 70/ 15.
I love the Cooper AT3, very quiet on the road and I they have very good grip on the wet.
The General Grabber are also very good but a little more noisy and for this I will go back to the Cooper once needed.
Its nice to hear you thinking when driving... :icon-eek:

Just been looking at Discoverer ATR liking what I see, but not what I've read.
Supposed to have a 50,000 mile warranty, one review I read said at 25,000 they needed new tyres as they were worn out (caveat) driving style not known) so could of been heavy left and right footed

Going to have a look at the AT3

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I never ever had more then 20,000 on any of my tires... Just to say... I don't know how some can get 30,000 or more... Its a mystery to me...
I had the Falken Wildpeak, they were wearing very fast, especially at the edges. Falken were great on a merc saloon in low profile, not on the 4X4, to me anyway.

Go for the BFGs I have covered 20,000 miles with mine on a LC 100 with mixed driving and plenty of heavy towing, they still look near new.
The on road is very quiet, good in the wet too and the off road is ok, I have been stuck only once in a very muddy field but I was towing a trailer at the time so it was understandable.
The price was slightly above some of the compitition but I feel it was well worth the extra.
I also made sure my tracking was chekef when fitting the tyres as I wanted to make the tyres last as long as possible, I also rotate them too.

Just to add I run a fairly high pressure on the BFGs for general road use 42psi, it feels about right when driving the truck rolls along well and the tyres sit about right on the side walls
Plus it goes a long way to saving the thre shoulders.

Hope Brian isn't thinking I am hijacking his topic :wtf: as this is good info there too.
Any BFGs t1pper? I am not familiar with those at all? The wet factor is important here in Scotland. The At3 were very well priced too, cost for 1 was 72 pounds delivered. Hard to beat. If the BFgs are double that then I am happy with the AT3 and change them once low :icon-biggrin:
Like you, I go between 39 and 42 depending the load.

BF Goodrich ATs (all terrain) mine were around £120 ish each (275/75x16), work well in the wet.
If its any help they have not given me a puncture, I think the carcass of the tyre feels very robust even the physical weight of the tyres are impressive, lastly they look good without being too aggresive.

No worries Little Rascal, all (any) info is good, carry on

My BFG had about 60,000 miles on, on my 120 series, at a guess, they MIGHT have been half worn, but probably more close to 25℅ worn.
Amazing tyres.

Which one's were they Graham, KO or KO2 ?
What were they like with MPG

Last edited:
I never ever had more then 20,000 on any of my tires... Just to say... I don't know how some can get 30,000 or more... Its a mystery to me...
I had the Falken Wildpeak, they were wearing very fast, especially at the edges. Falken were great on a merc saloon in low profile, not on the 4X4, to me anyway.

My Hankook Dynapro RF10s have done 40,000 miles now and don't look even 1/2 worn when compared to the brand new spare. If you go for something like BFGs you might even get more mileage.

Which one's were they Graham, KO or KO2 ?
What were they like with MPG
They were the origin style All Terrain.
Used to run them at 42 psi.
Best fuel consumption was 30 mpg.
They were one size bigger.
265_70_R17
When I sold my 120, I can be sure they would do another 40,000 miles.
Also like to add, I never had a puncture in all the years they were on the 120.
I sold my 120 with 275,000 miles on the clock.
It was very reliable, as we also towed a 2 ton 4 wheel caravan all over Europe one 3 or 4 occasions.
From all around Norway, to Morocco.
Which is another story in itself.

Graham

The mileage you put on your tires is impressive... Let hope the AT3 do close to yours :)
Maybe its because of my driving. As "they"say: Drive it like you stole it :shock: which I often do :wtf: and at 2.5 tons that put some strain on the rubber me think :p
Certainly the BFG look promising. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
the BF's are good. i had the ko1 on the colorado and now i have put the k02's on the 120. Im with Graham easily 80.000 out of them.

If or when I go for another Land Cruiser, be it a 120, or a 100 series, I would like to feel I would do the right thing and first things first, sort out the tyres.

Perhaps with the 120 not being as heavy as an 80 series, gives the 120 a more nimble feel.

I still have one brand new 17 inch mud tyre in my garage.

265 70 R17
Mastercraft (5).jpg

Back