Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

water tanks 2x45ltrs (800w hot water)

chris lc90

i used 2x45 litrs water tanks.and i installed them to the position of the last windows (i use the old bases from the seats) so i didnt loose any space of my car
these water tanks are made for use to the boats(have light blue colour)for water and not the red one that it is for fuel.
one of them i use it for hot water 12volts 800watts 55 degrees Celsious.
the position is vertical.one pump 12v with a 3way valve gives me hot and cold water in a mix that i adjust.

check here

http://s815.photobucket.com/albums/zz71 ... ks%202x45/

3 tips...
1.when i use my searcher lights 700w i do nto use at the same time my 800w boiler
2.the first test it was this: fill the tank with hot water of my shower 54 degrees celsious .the enviroment (room) had 23 degrees.the tank was bare without any insulation.and for the next 12 hours drop one deg every one hour..next morning had 42 deg.
3.i install 2 thermostats to cut off the electric system if i forget it..one between no2 and no3 resistance and the second to the top after no4

if anybody needs more info i ll be around

800 watts, that's a heluva load on a 12 volt system

That's just around 60 amps or so, give or take.

I do like the idea of hot water, but I would try to limit my heater element to around 150 watts.
I suppose with a well insulated 25 litter container, I could have enough for a warm shower at the end of the day ?

Where would I look for a 12 volt heater?

Graham

my first thought was not to use 220v inside the car cause if i cross a river and the water level comes to my windows i ll be killed.(i dont want to have 220v inside my legs :lol: )

also my 700w searcher lights i used to my previous car 1600cc 124hp (toyota starlet KP60)
and the alternator didnt have any problem,so i transfered them to my LC..

800w its not a problem for our LC ,of course i dont use at the same time the searcher lights.
i asked from a shop that constracts similar things for 220v and the boilers of the houses to construct mine for 12v. i gave the dimensions of the tanks and the total length is 39 cm
so its one is about 165w and after 1 1/2 hour i have hot water more than 50 deg celsious that i can keep it for more than 12 hours using good insulation

with 150w u ll have 30-32 deg max.our body have 37 deg. if u live in australia or have summer its ok.but if u live in norway? :cool:

chris lc90 said:
with 150w u ll have 30-32 deg max.our body have 37 deg. if u live in Australia or have summer its ok.but if u live in Norway? :cool:

Hi Chris,

Long time back from Norway, :lol:

Now back in UK.

I am still looking for a 12 volt heater, of sorts, that I can use to warm up a 25 liter plastic container for shower water.

Any ideas ?

Graham

hi graham,
i think that if u buy from an aquarious shop (iam sure u can find there) one resistance 130w-150w its ok for 25 ltrs and 33 deg celsious.. the current will be 220v of course and if u use one small shunt transformer from 12v lighter to 220v u ll be ok.or else u must give it your directions to a constructor to fix it for u..

Graham said:
I am still looking for a 12 volt heater, of sorts, that I can use to warm up a 25 liter plastic container for shower water.

Why not go for a heat exchanger, much more efficitient.

We have fitted inline exchanger that require the engine to be running in order to work as well as 20l tanks that contain an exchanger so you heat the water on the go and then have the benefit for several hours after you stop and it also has a mains element so that you can plug into the mains and heat the water up at camp sites :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Julian Voelcker said:
Graham said:

We have fitted inline exchanger that require the engine to be running in order to work as well as 20l tanks that contain an exchanger so you heat the water on the go and then have the benefit for several hours after you stop and it also has a mains element so that you can plug into the mains and heat the water up at camp sites :)

i have some objections-questions about this..
first u must open new holes to the firewall fot the new incoming rubber pipelines to the cabin,and second u make bigger the "trip" of the water via the pipelines ..maybe this "trip" infect to the temperature of the radiator,engine and maybe needs to change thermostat (opens to 82 deg).
if i have wrong pls forgive me and correct me..

Just use the pipes feeding to the rear heater....... easy!

Thermostat will open at 82, irrespective of the water content

Over the years I've done alot of Scuba Diving, Water Skiing & Sea Fishing & have always used one of these solar showers :arrow:

url

Just fill with water, chuck onto roof of truck/van, hot/warm shower @ the end of the day :thumbup:

sae70 said:
Over the years I've done alot of Scuba Diving, Water Skiing & Sea Fishing & have always used one of these solar showers :arrow:

url

Just fill with water, chuck onto roof of truck/van, hot/warm shower @ the end of the day :thumbup:

Interesting!!! might give that a try!

i have already tried and its good for summer time..or if u live in a sunshine place..but during winter?if outside is -15 deg (north greece during november + 1600mtr altitude)

If it was -15 outside you'd 'ave a job getting my clothes of me for a shower :p :p :p

I alway found it very good for getting the salt & sand out of my hair & off my body @ the end of the day & the water was always warmer than ambient temp even on cooler days :)

Yup I'll second that - works great when in warm climates (like Africa Kev)

Used one daily for 2 months on a rad trip through the USA

sae70 said:

url

I have used a exchange heater (22ltrs) plumbed in to the rear heater behined the drivers seat. Although I did create 3 extra holes, more for conveince in routing the pipes. The original hole was sealed up, also the new holes are also sealed to stop any ingress of water and the whole tank is now covered.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonni_stephen/5409037182/in/photostream/

Stephen

I've a gas shower we set up when static - obviously not in a 'commercial' camp site, but we used it a lot in Botswana and Zim. Basically a double-walled stainless pipe that has a burner at the bottom and the water gets pumped up the jacket. Alter flow to alter the temp - it gets bloody hot quick!!

Gary Stockton said:
I've a gas shower we set up when static - obviously not in a 'commercial' camp site, but we used it a lot in Botswana and Zim. Basically a double-walled stainless pipe that has a burner at the bottom and the water gets pumped up the jacket. Alter flow to alter the temp - it gets bloody hot quick!!
:banana-gotpics: :music-rockout:

Hmmm- ok I'll dig it out and take some pics asap

Cheers

Back