Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What a mistake that was ! Advice to come back required !

Trying to be objective about the OP's criteria, I'm not saying others haven't been.....but lets try and apply some logic;

I'm going to rank each LC series against the OP's own requirements. 1 - being very bad, 5 - being very good. At the end I'll tally up the scores and the series that scores the highest *should* be the most suitable. Obviously how you rank them will alter the score but I'll try and be unbiased and objective - I'm not going to differentiate between petrol and diesel models of a particular series..

Im after :

Something that is almost faultlessly reliable (hence coming back here)
All LC series rank 4

MPG is not an issue as my daily commute is sub 10 miles with maybe a 20 mile trip once a week and 150 mile plus once a month.
120 - 5
100 - 2
90 - 4
80 - 3

When I do go on a long run though id like to be able to sit at 80ish in relative comfort and not be deafened by road noise etc
120 - 5
100 - 5
90 - 4
80 - 3

Id love to be back in a setup with climate control, double din head unit (so I can add a reverse cam and dvd player)
120 - 5* (Not sure you can add RC/dvd player to the built in nav on LC5)
100 - 4* (Not sure you can add RC/dvd player to the built in nav on facelift models )
90 - 3* (No Climate)
80 - 4* (Not sure whether all models have climate)

A large boot to accommodate the odd large dog, some tools and maybe the odd bale of hay.
120 - 4
100 - 5
90 - 4
80 - 5

And finally id like it to be able to fix it and maintain it myself if possible.
120 - 4
100 - 4 (Lets assume that AHC has been removed for conventional shocks/springs)
90 - 5
80 - 5

/

So the totals are as follows;
120 - 27
100 - 24
90 - 24
80 - 24

The winner is the 120, though is is close between the other series, which all tie for 2nd place. However, when you include real life factors such as price and availability, I think the case for the 120 is very solid indeed.

It certainly would be my choice given the criteria above, though how many of us make decisions based on our heads when it comes to cruisers? :icon-wink:

There is a petrol 105 that looks very tidy that has just been posted for sale on the FB group Land Cruiser Mart UK. £8995.
There are around 30 photos, plenty of spec info etc. Originally an Oz import.

Regards,

Rodger

I'd be tempted by that petrol 105 if I was in the market at the moment - looks like a straight truck and nice spec....

I went up from a 95 to the 120 and have not regretted it. ive just come back from a 1300 mile trip to Scotland and it didnt miss a beat. i also had the 100 series in ind when i was upgrading. but i needed to put about another 5K in the pot to get a similar age LC.

I'd be tempted by that petrol 105 if I was in the market at the moment - looks like a straight truck and nice spec....
I missed this 105 when it was advertised the first time by the first owner. I was sold for 3.2k so for him to be asking 8.know is a bit wide guess at what it's worth.

It's been for sale a couple of times at 8k and not sold.

For that money you can get a really nice one in SA and import it in.

No lockers which is why I did go for it in the first place.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Andy - When you say the 120 is less of a truck than the 100 in what ways do you mean ? The 120 appears to be more family friendly and obv smaller but spec-wise they dont appear to differ that much ?
If I ended up with a petrol I expect it would end up on LPG anyways as ive a friend that fits it so would id see my money back in two years of driving. The VED is a good point and im not sure what either the fuel options on either series would be costing me post 2006.

Rob - Splutter away as until id done some reading and looking I dint even know they had loow range etc (I thought they were more like a Honda CR-V) !. From reading up on the 100's it seems the 5 speed is the one to get for some nice gearing on a long trip and going by the prices of early ones I know that £15k plus is where id be looking and in all honesty I dont want that much money in a vehicle that although would be very cabale in every situation id realistically be using to the minimum of its ability 98% of the time :(

Shayne - Care to elaborate more ? Too much road and school run orientated ? Poor space and cabin desing etc ?

Andy - Hilux with a decent spec (mk7) would fit most of my needs but I do tend to keep alot of tooling and paperwork in my boot for work and I would imagine that keeping that in the tub even with a canopy would allow it to get damp and would not be very secure. I suspect id then end up with half of it on the rear seats so id then have a pickup where the most common load transports in the cab lol

Werneroeder - What is the man dfference between the 100 and 120 from your experince of owning both ?

Chadr - Wish id thought of doing it that way lol. Pratical way of doing it and also shows how versatile the LC range is !

Rodger - Ill have a peek :)

Stu - Good to see you are still active and still have the 80 :)

I think the 120 is currently where my head is closely followed by a 100 mainly due to the cost vs use factor but I also need to weigh up the VED position !

Anyone in the southwest / Somerset with a 100 / 120 that fancys an hour or so showing off their truck in exchange for a pint etc ? :D

I missed this 105 when it was advertised the first time by the first owner. I was sold for 3.2k so for him to be asking 8.know is a bit wide guess at what it's worth.

It's been for sale a couple of times at 8k and not sold.

For that money you can get a really nice one in SA and import it in.

No lockers which is why I did go for it in the first place.

Always interesting to hear the history on these things. Looks very tidy though (by photos)...

Andy - When you say the 120 is less of a truck than the 100 in what ways do you mean ? The 120 appears to be more family friendly and obv smaller but spec-wise they dont appear to differ that much ?
If I ended up with a petrol I expect it would end up on LPG anyways as ive a friend that fits it so would id see my money back in two years of driving. The VED is a good point and im not sure what either the fuel options on either series would be costing me post 2006.

Rob - Splutter away as until id done some reading and looking I dint even know they had loow range etc (I thought they were more like a Honda CR-V) !. From reading up on the 100's it seems the 5 speed is the one to get for some nice gearing on a long trip and going by the prices of early ones I know that £15k plus is where id be looking and in all honesty I dont want that much money in a vehicle that although would be very cabale in every situation id realistically be using to the minimum of its ability 98% of the time :(

Shayne - Care to elaborate more ? Too much road and school run orientated ? Poor space and cabin desing etc ?

Andy - Hilux with a decent spec (mk7) would fit most of my needs but I do tend to keep alot of tooling and paperwork in my boot for work and I would imagine that keeping that in the tub even with a canopy would allow it to get damp and would not be very secure. I suspect id then end up with half of it on the rear seats so id then have a pickup where the most common load transports in the cab lol

Werneroeder - What is the man dfference between the 100 and 120 from your experince of owning both ?

Chadr - Wish id thought of doing it that way lol. Pratical way of doing it and also shows how versatile the LC range is !

Rodger - Ill have a peek :)

Stu - Good to see you are still active and still have the 80 :)

I think the 120 is currently where my head is closely followed by a 100 mainly due to the cost vs use factor but I also need to weigh up the VED position !

Anyone in the southwest / Somerset with a 100 / 120 that fancys an hour or so showing off their truck in exchange for a pint etc ? :D
Paulpen, fuel consumption is about the same in the diesels. What drew me to the 100 was space, power (towing a 1 ton camping trailer as if there is nothing there) and visibility. The seven seats are very spacious and you don't feel cramped. The hundie is also much quieter cruising, which I like a lot, especially with a full vehicle, as you don't have to shout over road and engine noise. I drove the 100 up from Chichester, West Sussex, all the way up to Stockport and back, had both on camping trips, through out the country, and the 100 definitely uses less fuel, especially when towing. 5 speed is rare and expensive and I am very happy with the 4 speed auto and at 2500 revs, I am doing around 75mph, which is about the same for the 5 speed D4D of the 120.
I hope that helps.

Whilst I need space I dont need 7 seats (currently anyway) so do you mean in space per passenger or general cabin total space ?
Im starting to think that the 5 speed in the 100 is not as important as first thought - im halfway through reading the 120 press release of 35 pages and the 120 uses a 4 speed auto so I cant imagine the 100 4 speed differs that much ?

Whilst I need space I dont need 7 seats (currently anyway) so do you mean in space per passenger or general cabin total space ?
Im starting to think that the 5 speed in the 100 is not as important as first thought - im halfway through reading the 120 press release of 35 pages and the 120 uses a 4 speed auto so I cant imagine the 100 4 speed differs that much ?

Early 120s have a 4 speed auto, they switched to 5 speed in late 2004.

Not sure how to elaborate Paul i can't fault the 120 at all , nice to drive - comfortable - easy to park - ideal size for me inside and out - goes and stops well as any modern car should and therein lies my dislike .

While in the drivers seat it doesn't feel like a 4x4 at all and while i can understand that would be a plus for some for me its an absolute no no .

Does the addition gear change things dramatacally Rob ?

Thats fair enough Shayne - if everyone was the same it would be a very boring world !

On a different note can someone accept me to the facebook group so i can see the 105 and also how come some 120's have a spare wheel on the boot and some dont ? :)

Does the addition gear change things dramatacally Rob ?

Thats fair enough Shayne - if everyone was the same it would be a very boring world !

On a different note can someone accept me to the facebook group so i can see the 105 and also how come some 120's have a spare wheel on the boot and some dont ? :)

As my 120 5sp is the only auto I've ever driven other than my mothers Micra so I don't have experience, but when I was buying mine (and generally looking at for 100s) the consensus seemed to be the 5 speed was a smoother ride, because the engine needs to rev less between gears, but it makes little difference to the fuel consumption. The 5 speed boxes are "sealed for life". Which of course they're not, but its much harder to change the fluid!

Rear wheels I think are a spec thing. LC3 and 4 have them. Lc5 and Invincibles are underslung.

Re the FB page, you can just follow the page - I don't believe any of us are involved in moderating it...

The 105 has just popped up on ebay ( 172471398279 ) I think that's the one

Cheers guys - think with all this info ill be trying to see and drive a petrol auto 100 and diesel auto 120 and see what they are like in person :)

If I ended up with a petrol I expect it would end up on LPG anyways as ive a friend that fits it so would id see my money back in two years of driving. The VED is a good point and im not sure what either the fuel options on either series would be costing me post 2006.[/ QUOTE]

Whilst I've not owned a 120 I've driven both the manual and 5spd auto versions and I do have a 5spd 100 series so I consider I've enough (just) experience to compare. When I say its less of a truck I mean to say that every aspect of a 100 is just that bit better than a 120. When I test drove ( for 40 miles) a very low mileage 120 for sale in the village I had expectations of it being a "mini Amazon" but it wasn't, more like a better Colorado.
The 100 is big, but not unmanageable, but it is refined, a great place to be on a journey, quieter than a 120 and very comfortable and will tow anything.
These are just my observations and opinions based on my experiences and there are a great many more factors to take into consideration whilst making your choice other than what I think or what my requirements are compared with yours.
Back to back fuel use I guess a 100 would use 20% more fuel right across the board than a 120.
On the point if petrol/LPG and would you get your money back? would you do the mileage to cover the cost and certainly there have been issues with valve seats on the V8 but I think the V6 fares better on LPG.

Just a footnote:-
When Trevor was at mine a couple of years ago in his 120 I asked him if I could have a drive to satisfy my curiosity to which he said" only if I can follow you in your 100". After the drive around we got back my comment was " well thats cured me of wanting one of those" . Trevor's comment, " gotta get one of these".

Hope this helps ( but will probably add to the confusion)

Looking at your regular 10 mile commute I do not think an 80 or 1oo comfort wise is going to be much different, no sooner have you settled in you are getting out.

A 10 mile commute is hardly enough time to get the engine up to temperature in the bigger vehicles. Is there an option of owning two cars? A small Toyota for the commute, gives more miles per gallon, the engine will come up to proper temperatures in 10 miles so you will not be 'clogging it up'. And then perhaps a late non rusty 80, or perhaps a V8 100 for size and the longer commute?

regards

Dave

I had a 5 speed manual 120, so would not really know on the 4 speed auto. Yes, the passenger space is much better and bigger in the 100.

Back