Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What a mistake that was ! Advice to come back required !

Ta chaps :)

Need to get out and drive and view some but all the info and input is greatly received and has certainly helps me narrow my options down from the original list !

Ta chaps :)

Need to get out and drive and view some but all the info and input is greatly received and has certainly helps me narrow my options down from the original list !

I have a 2007 120 LC4 D-4D 5 speed auto, and really enjoy it. My recommendation would be to go for the highest spec you can find, upgraded leather, heated electric seats with adjustable lumbar support, easily convertible radio to double din for reversing cam (£300 will get you a great set up,) etc, etc.

Stay away from the LC5 for radio swap and suspension issues. There's threads on here about both.

Spare wheel was available on the rear door or under the floor per customer order in my year range, take your pick. They both have their good and bad points.

Triple quadruple check before you buy that the copper fuel injectors seals have been replaced for aluminium ones (see multiple threads on here and pradopoint on that subject!!!) or you'll be cursing forever. If they've been done, you should be all good to go. Phoning Toyota seems to get frustrating results, best to call any local Toyota dealer with the VIN and reg number and they will confirm if the change has been done or not. Ask nicely and they will tell you every time the vehicle has been into a Toyota dealership for literally anything :)

The common rail 3.0 litre D-4D engine sounds like a tractor when cold, purrs like a kitten when warm, will sit at 80mph all day long eating road miles with real comfort and ease, tows like a good 'un, and tackles rough tracks quite admirably.

There's a compromise to everything. You want a go virtually everywhere truck, get an 80 or 100. Pay more buying it, then even more lifting it and running it. You want an every day extremely comfortable ride with decent fuel economy, good value for money without breaking the bank initially, the late model 120 D-4D 5 speed auto is hard to beat imho.

Just my 2¢ worth, having looked long and hard at buying any/all of them within my budget, and very happy with my choice.

Out of interest, I live 1/4 the way round the world from the UK, and will be driving my truck back - the long way round. That's how much I rate it!

Good luck. Be philosophical, choose as wisely as you can. It's nice to get it right first time, but if you get it wrong it's not that big a deal, just sell it and buy a different one. Nothing is forever...

Lastly, let us know which way you go, and post photos of your new ride!

Last edited:
An informative post and im back on the laptop rather than the phone so can write a bit more as a reply :)

I would have thought the LC5 would be the one to have ?!

Is it more that the LC4 sat nav appeards to be more of a classic double din affair whereas the LC5 one looks to be part of the dashboard ?

Spare wheel is a here nor there issue - my preference is prob to have on the tailgate as its looks bare without it !

I think when you say
"There's a compromise to everything. You want a go virtually everywhere truck, get an 80 or 100. Pay more buying it, then even more lifting it and running it. You want an every day extremely comfortable ride with decent fuel economy, good value for money without breaking the bank initially, the late model 120 D4-D 5 speed auto is hard to beat imho"
that pretty much where im at in my head currently :)

An informative post and im back on the laptop rather than the phone so can write a bit more as a reply :)

I would have thought the LC5 would be the one to have ?!

Is it more that the LC4 sat nav appeards to be more of a classic double din affair whereas the LC5 one looks to be part of the dashboard ?

Spare wheel is a here nor there issue - my preference is prob to have on the tailgate as its looks bare without it !

I think when you say
"There's a compromise to everything. You want a go virtually everywhere truck, get an 80 or 100. Pay more buying it, then even more lifting it and running it. You want an every day extremely comfortable ride with decent fuel economy, good value for money without breaking the bank initially, the late model 120 D4-D 5 speed auto is hard to beat imho"
that pretty much where im at in my head currently :)

LC5 likely to have air suspension with potential for problems.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
take your time and have a test drive of all of these options. look around them inside and flip the seats about etc. my partner has a top spec 2010 rav4, my father a 2002 100 series. they are both nice vehicles but for the time being at least I still prefer my 80.

ive had it nearly 12 years. they are very repairable for the home mechanic, there not just a hard off roading slog iron, in standard form with new Toyota shocks and springs and 275 tyres on they are a comfortable vehicle good for long distances. choose right and you shouldn't lose any money on it. have a test drive in a good original example. maybe one that hasnt got a 3" side exit straight through exhaust, a 3" lift with 35" mt tyres on it, fag butts in the foot well and a chicken leg sticking out of the centre console.. it might be more refined than you think...

......choose right and you shouldn't lose any money on it. have a test drive in a good original example. maybe one that hasnt got a 3" side exit straight through exhaust, a 3" lift with 35" mt tyres on it, fag butts in the foot well and a chicken leg sticking out of the centre console.. it might be more refined than you think...

There's really no need to pick on fbnss! :icon-wink:

....and is likely to be rotten underneath by now.

IMO the newer it is the sooner it will need rust treatment , my 1998 truck should have been done for the first time a year ago but its along way short of being a lost cause .

....and is likely to be rotten underneath by now.

Not necessarily true, like Shayne both mine aren't halfway through their shelf life yet, just a case of examining them underneath.
Just to note, while we were in Cyprus and being guilty of constant "Landcruiser spotting" the one thing I did notice was the fantastic condition the underneath of the Collies especially were, like from the factory with a bit of dust on and 15-20 years old. Likewise I'm trying to buy a 60 series from a guy there and the condition underneath is like no UK car could be and its 27 years old.
I don't know what the prices are like out there but I guess the UK is the cheapest place in the world to buy Cruisers because they are in the worst condition rust wise.

Underside of mine is pretty decent, only one bit that has suffered badly on the chassis and the normal rear axle turret, but that seems to a common problem across the series not just the 90's

Something I noticed on last years trip, the 100 Series is king if you are using dirt roads, pistes and dodgy tarmac regularly but want comfort or to transport tourists to your desert hotel. 120's are king if your mainly tarmac but want to give your passengers the impression of tough roads.

The 120's are also incredibly popular with European overlanders visiting Morocco, saw more 120's than any other series. 80 numbers seem to be dwindling as the owners move into newer or better overlanders (eg 70 series Camper Conversions).

A surprise was the large number of Jeeps with overlanding mods I saw, these are becoming increasingly common, possibly fuelled by the lack of competition from Land Rover, Toyota etc and the large amount of aftermarket parts available

Having owned a Prado with not a single bit of rust on and looked at a couple before buying they really dont rust - however findinb bits for them is getting increasingly harder and will end up like it is finding parts for an 80 i imagine ?

The 100 and the 120 may not be the most common of vehicles but think that there are enough bits out there for them and also that being that bit newer they should need less.

Good to see it can be done buhtan :)

Having owned a Prado with not a single bit of rust on and looked at a couple before buying they really dont rust - however findinb bits for them is getting increasingly harder and will end up like it is finding parts for an 80 i imagine ?

The 100 and the 120 may not be the most common of vehicles but think that there are enough bits out there for them and also that being that bit newer they should need less.

Good to see it can be done buhtan :)
Hi Paul, there's a good few people breaking 90/95's at the moment on e bay especially as well as our own Steff.
Prices for parts can vary a bit but in general are considerably less per part than the breakers of 80's ask, probably because the core units are cheaper to buy in the first place.

Well things got interesting today !

Have experienced a 120 and 100 today and must say the 120 is more pratical for my needs etc but I think im going to be ending up in a old diesel 100 for the moment as the place selling it has offered me much more than anywhere else for the Navara !

Its a 1999 4.2TD in silver and looks to be an ex farm car so needs a good clean. Scuffs on each corner but can get them sorted out easily enough.

Only annoying thing is that it has AHC but it all seems to work ok currently.

Lets see how 100 ownership goes for a bit if the deal dont fall through and might not feel the need to change into a 120 !

Looks like another deal that going to fall through :(

D40 goes tomorrow so going into a sub £500 Subaru until the lighter evenings come so i can go viewing properally.

Will put a new post up at some point trying to find owers locally so i can see what a good version is like before buying :)

Buy Nathan's 100 Paul, and be done with it!

You'd have a truck for life with that one...

Back