Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

what size winch

No problem with my PC.

mike54 said:
The double line halves the draw on the battery though so it's good for that.

Yes, but as it halves the rate at which you winch-in you run the winch for twice as long (assuming you're pulling equal distances).

There are times when I miss the capstan winch on my Series III Land Rover :(

Bob.

No not neccessarily, Bob. Since your battery is more efficient with a double line, your line speed may only suffer a little as opposed to halving.

There's an interesting demo of that on one of david bowyers videos where he winches a defender up a 45 degree slope. The difference between single and double line is negligible.

That is indeed the weird thing about DC eletric motors.
They always seem to use the power they need to get the job done.

Even to the extent of running hot and burning out the motor, relays or even cables if the entire system isn't dimensioned correctly.

It sometimes feels like its giving 110%, more than it is actually capable of.

Hydraulic winches on the other hand, they run at a preset pressure, the motor runs at a specified rpm and there is an overload pressure at which the winch simply won't turn.
But you won't hurt anything.

Anyway while they are more of a professionals tool, I purchased my Warn about a decade ago. And it has only needed a new winchline and regular maintenance. Can't really fault it.

Sorry, page 71-72 in the pdf alludes to doubling the falls doubles or halves the line speed (but for a small error) the capacity. Not sure if I am readying that wrong?

A lead acid battery will reduce its voltage if asked to work very hard (single line pull). The demo of which would speak makes sense but not because “doubling the line does noting” but rather because of the much higher load on the batteries, the voltage drops. This drop causes the motor to work slower. The double line reduces the load on the battery which allows the motor to work faster which negates some of the reduced line speed.
If given a large enough battery (I’ll bring my 3 270AH for a test) then this would go away as the batteries would laugh at either load.

You will get more out of a battery running it twice as long at half the load than half the time at double the load. The battery will like you for it. Pb batteries do not have a linier discharge.

note: I've moved this to technical because it's kinda slipped from 80 specific ;)

This thread makes me cringe

mike54 said:
btw, see page 76 of the document "rigging.pdf" which details mechanical advantage (or rather lack of when double lining if you take the example of a vehicle in a typical double line scenario)

Seriously? When we say doubling the line the load angle is near enough 0 degrees, according to the table that's a multiplication factor greater than 1.99! I think you may have read the table incorrectly :doh: The multiplication applies to force not power due to conservation of energy.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Guys
Nice debate but it has brought up some questions for me.
When you say double line do you mean as it implies a double line connected to the winch drum???
What is the winch needed to pull an 80 out of mud say up to its axles,???
Is the weakest point the connection (via) the winch bolts to the bumper and then to the connection to the chassis,???
Should a wire/strap bought with a winch be replaced with a higher loading one to help avoid snapping,???
Which is best an electric or winch operated from the engine, pros and cons
cheers

Interesting debate. But answer? 9500 and a single line pull with engine running. Does anyone listen?

Seriously it's a great technical argument but back on planet mud it doesn't work like that there are just too many variables. Tyres, mud, lockers, even the dia of the rope.

It's not worth agonising over. The 9 will do it but if you don't believe it then buy a 12. Just make sure that when you are stuck in the legendary life threatening ultimate winch challenge, that you have somewhere to put the hook!!!!!

Back