Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What wellie boots....?

sae70

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
It's time to replace my 23year old wellies that were issued to me when I became a retained Fireman @ the age of 18 and I'm now..........well you do the maff :D

I'm a bit wellie blind now, there's so many options from £10 Dunlops to £50 Dunlops to £150 Hunters :shock: :shock: :?

I just want a descent pair of wellies for anything between say £20 to £45, any recommendations?

WHY :?:

At £45 you might get a pair of second hand Hunters off ebay. I have a pair and know you pay over the odds fo rthe name but as far as wellies go they are a great fit and have lasted me well to
date.

Steven are you replacing because the old wellies are worn out? because I've got a pair of Brigade issue you can have for nowt, can't say they are 'new' but they have never been worn they've been hanging up in my garage for years, could be full of dead spiders.
I think the size is 11, never worn because that's a bit big for me. In Morden, so's a bit far from you.

warrenpfo said:
At £45 you might get a pair of second hand Hunters off ebay. I have a pair and know you pay over the odds fo rthe name but as far as wellies go they are a great fit and have lasted me well to
date.
Second hand Hunters, never gave that a thought :think: I shall have a search :)

Cossack said:
Steven are you replacing because the old wellies are worn out? because I've got a pair of Brigade issue you can have for nowt, can't say they are 'new' but they have never been worn they've been hanging up in my garage for years, could be full of dead spiders.
I think the size is 11, never worn because that's a bit big for me. In Morden, so's a bit far from you.
Iam replacing my old worn out Brigade issue steel toe, steel mid sole wellie boots as they have started splitting and ever so slightly letting in moisture :( Never thought I'd be offered free wellies :D :D Alas I'm a size 10 :| Get out to your garage and check 'em :) ;)

sae70 said:
warrenpfo said:
date.
Second hand Hunters, never gave that a thought :think: I shall have a search :)

Iam replacing my old worn out Brigade issue steel toe, steel mid sole wellie boots as they have started splitting and ever so slightly letting in moisture :( Never thought I'd be offered free wellies :D :D Alas I'm a size 10 :| Get out to your garage and check 'em :) ;)
Ah! just been out and checked, first for spiders and then size, they have an '8' printed on the inside and I take 10.5's and can't get them on so I don't think they'll be any good for you either and I think the've been used before as well, as there is someones name inside.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cossack said:
and I think the've been used before as well, as there is someones name inside.
Is it SAM :lol: :lol: :lol:

I bought some B&Q specials for £9. Perfectly waterproof but freezing cold. 2 pairs of rugby socks over normal socks and it still gets cold. Wasted £9 really.

Jon Wildsmith said:
We like Hunters :)
That's two votes for Hunters :) :think: That's a worry :)

Crispin said:
I bought some B&Q specials for £9. Perfectly waterproof but freezing cold. 2 pairs of rugby socks over normal socks and it still gets cold. Wasted £9 really.
Mmmm......good info, cheers Crispin :thumbup: Maybe you could donate them to the wellie boot tree, shame I can't remember its exact location :think: I'm sure that it'll come to me though :)

Ah, with all questions there are counter questions, the key thing is what do you want to use the wellies for?

Normal Hunters will be more comfortable than most cheaper brands, but they have soft side walls so are prone to thorn damage and the soles wear quite quickly.

If you want warmth and are likely to be standing around a lot in the cold, neoproprene lined are essential, although can be a little too hot for use in the summer.

I have some Aigle neoproprene lined ones that cost a bomb 10+ years ago, but they have had some heavy usage bashing through thick undergrowth and are still in really good condition. For the summer I stick to ackle boots or use an old slit pair of Hunters.

Julian Voelcker said:
Ah, with all questions there are counter questions, the key thing is what do you want to use the wellies for?
Good point JV :) I don't need a pair of wellies for everyday wear and probably want even see them for 8months of the year! 80% of there entire used life will be when I'm off-roading but even then I want spend all day wearing them, they will be in a wellie boot bag in the truck ready for when I need a pair of wellies instead of my Buckler work boots. I guess I just need something hard wearing with a gripy sole in heavy mud. Oh and easy to get on and off without falling over :D

Julian Voelcker said:
Normal Hunters will be more comfortable than most cheaper brands, but they have soft side walls so are prone to thorn damage and the soles wear quite quickly.
I have to say that after looking at them, they do look to me to be more aimed toward the horsey set :)

Julian Voelcker said:
If you want warmth and are likely to be standing around a lot in the cold, neoproprene lined are essential, although can be a little too hot for use in the summer.
My m8 does a lot of shooting and has a pair of neoprene lined boots that cost around the £90 mark. He's on his second pair as the first pair failed after a very short time! They also appear to be more fitted and less easy to get on and off compared to a non neoprene lined pair, I have a good selection of thick skiing socks that I always wear when off-roading.

Lollie said:
One of the best wellie/walking boot on the market.
Le Chameau Vatna GTX boot.
http://images.uttingsoutdoors.co.uk/ima ... _large.jpg
Not cheap but beautiful quality and comfort.
Nice looking boot but a tad outside of my £20 - £45 price range I'd suspect :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I was just having another quick smooch at wellies and still having the Hunter wellie boot site open I stumbled over these;

The ARGYLL Full Knee by Hunter; http://www.hunter-boot.com/argyll-full-knee/black

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBl_8T9zyAEmMwyuc8f1YzOdXoAY-cypAlNs94o-H20LSzwnlY.jpg

PRODUCT INFORMATION

Our traditional farming boot.

Rugged and hard wearing, these boots are made from heavy duty rubber with calendered soles. A boot you can rely on to just get on with the job.

Upper : Vulcanised natural rubber construction
Outsole : Traditional calendered natural rubber sole
Lining : Quick dry knitted nylon lining
Footbed : Multi-layer cushioned sponge insole
Weight : 2000gms/pair (size 9)

They are only £45 and I've just found them for sale on-line for a penny under £34 with free P+P :D They also do a neoprene lined version of the same boot for only a tenner more @ £55 :think: Mmmm.......now these are a strong contender :D :D :D

I'd go with the neoprene lining - longer lasting, better insulating properties and better waterproofing too. I had a pair of dunflops and threw them away for some fancy frenchie boot (can't remember the name now) that are neoprene lined. Wear them a lot for hill walking with the hound and they're brilliant.

Cheers

EDIT: Aigle boots

Aigle_Parcours_Iso.jpg

They were about the same price (back then) - think they're more now unfortunately ...

Ooh yes - damn expensive now @ £135 / pair :roll:

I have some neoprene lined ones, can't remember the brand but they're nothing special - definitely the business when it's a bit chilly out. Another option worth looking at are muckboots - I've borrowed a pair and they have very good grip in very slippery, slushy stuff. The fancier boots tend to have quite detailed treads, which are prone to filling with mud and getting a bit slippery in my experience. Muckboots are MTs whereas most fancy ones like Aigle, Hunter & co could be seen as ATs :lol:

Also want a pair which has anti vacuum valves. Stops this :
1.jpg

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Crispin said:
Also want a pair which has anti vacuum valves. Stops this :
1.jpg

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
They are my old M/Cycle boots, leather but totally waterproof, still use them now for the mucky stuff :thumbup:

If you have Asda near you, and providing they still sell it, I got mine for £12. Not state of the art as I thought I'll do more driving than walking:grin:

Back