Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wheel studs for spacers

Dan88

Garage
I'm wanting to fit spacers to my wheels, and putting them on the threads seem a couple of turns too short.
I've read all the other threads, and it seems that if I get longer studs for the rear an fit them in the front that this will solve it?
Do to have to get the studs from toyota or can you get them elsewhere?

Dan, do you know, I don't think that we have ever bottomed this. I had a shortie, fitted spacers nooo problem. Others have too. Then some 90 owners stick the rear one son, lovely, then come to the front and the studs are too short. We haven't found a different part number or why they seem shorter. I wondered if it was to do with imports having an intercooler and maybe thicker brake discs, but we disproved that too.

So far there hasn't been a clear answer if I remember correctly but it seems not to be the actual studs that causes the issue.

Anyone else remember?

Chris

I contacted milners, they sell studs that are front and rear compatible. I wondered if they were maybe that bit longer (the guy on the phone said the ones they had are approx 49mm), they'd make my spacers fit?

I live 10 mins from Milners. We tried every stud in their shop at the time. Nope. You simply can't rely on them saying we have those in stock. Not with a stud I'm afraid. I use Milners a lot, but there are quite a few parts like these that simply aren't right. I do tell them when I find one. But I haven't been through their entire inventory.

We tried front to rear, rear to front, 80 studs etc. Nothing gave us the length we needed. You could post them one and see if it matches, but I wouldn't simply take their word for it. They will be convinced when they tell you - because they genuinely believe their computer screen. I have the luxury of parking outside and taking the bit into the warehouse with me.

Chris

This is a strange issue...

I have a UK lwb colorado, 1996 model and when I stuck 30mm spacers on I had no problem. The studs were all the same... and then a lot of people find the front ones are shorter. :wtf:

That the problem with mine, the fronts are shorter?!
I think I'll try to find out the thread size and the spline size and order some longer studs from merlin motorsports...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Try Zeus - they provided me with custom extended studs for my LR 90...

Hey dan I had this issue a few months back and bought in rear studs from Toyota for the front, they still ended up a little shy when tightened up but was happy with the amount of thread covered and all is fine! Toyota studs approx €4.50-5.00

Perhaps there is an element od "120 series" introduced to the 90 series in this department?

There are a few 120 members members who haven't had any problems?
Perhaps Dan, you can ask about the 120 series studs?

Gra.

I looked at this when I fitted my spacers, yes the studs are shorter on my 95 so what I did was counted the amount of turns to screw the normal wheel nut onto the front alloy as it left the factory, then fit the spacer and screw the nut supplied with the spacer onto the factory stud and it was exactly the same amount of turns. So the only difference is the factory wheel nut is enclosed and you cant see how short an amount of thread actually goes into it.

I felt if Mr T thought it was ok that was good enough for me and I fitted them. ( Excuse to show pic :icon-biggrin: )

ours_wide.jpg

Last edited:
I looked at this when I fitted my spacers, yes the studs are shorter on my 95 so what I did was counted the amount of turns to screw the normal wheel nut onto the front alloy as it left the factory, then fit the spacer and screw the nut supplied with the spacer onto the factory stud and it was exactly the same amount of turns. So the only difference is the factory wheel nut is enclosed and you cant see how short an amount of thread actually goes into it.

I felt if Mr T thought it was ok that was good enough for me and I fitted them.

That is a very good way of going about it!!
It made me laugh, I took my wheels off on Saturday to check the spacers where tight and torqued the nuts up and one snapped!
So that's one I have to replace anyway so I might swap the lot!
I just need to know what the length of the short studs are so I can add about 5-6mm for the new ones...
I keep having visions of one wheel coming off and passing me down the road!

That is a very good way of going about it!!
It made me laugh, I took my wheels off on Saturday to check the spacers where tight and torqued the nuts up and one snapped!
So that's one I have to replace anyway so I might swap the lot!
I just need to know what the length of the short studs are so I can add about 5-6mm for the new ones...
I keep having visions of one wheel coming off and passing me down the road!
I am sure that has happened on here, just can't think who.

Gra.

As some have this problem and others don't it makes me wonder if the original wheels are to blame . Is it possible that trucks originally sold with steel wheels came with shorter studs than those with alloys . The original wheels have long since been upgraded to alloy , using the same studs , but steel wheel studs are not long enough for spacers ?

Just a thought , could be a simple answer to a baffling question .

^^^
A fair theory but I don't think it is the case - I'm pretty sure my VZJ95 originally came with alloys, being a UK model "VX" and all that.....but I have the shorter front studs as I found out when I tried to fit spacers (there is a thread somewhere in the 90 section).

As thewormman said further up the thread, it may have been exactly the same on the alloys/wheel nuts but you would have never seen the "issue".

I'm sure that Toyota would have addressed this if was a genuine issue and front wheel failures would have been more common?

Last edited:
Back