Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

When is enough, enough?

Bodhi

Country Flag
wales
Just wondering what are the thoughts of members on here with regards to the maximum mileage they would consider when buying a 80?

Take this one on autotrader for example for me quite a high price even though a 'rare manual' :icon-biggrin: average of 16000 mlies a year, regular oils changes apparently sounds good but the theres that front tow hitch which makes me think of launching of boats has been part of its life?

What's your thoughts?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...l185yg&radius=1500&onesearchad=used&logcode=p

good but theres that front tow hitch which makes me think of launching of boats has been part of its life?

What's your thoughts?
I had a front tow hitch on my first 80 Cruiser when I used to fly gliders, it was very useful for manoeuvring long glider trailers around so this one may not have launched boats.

I had a front hitch on my shogun for manoevering my caravan into tight places makes it a lot easier

You can only judge it by an examination, they are pretty durable and it might be ok but nearly 300k is heading towards "end of life" even for the mighty 80.

The only way to know whether it's rusty is to get underneath it and have a look. 80s can look quite bad underneath, but really, the chassis is over-engineered to the extent that fairly bad looking rust is actually not compromising any strength.

The bodies are starting to deteriorate on vehicles around the 20 years old mark, and this one is 19, so look in the usual places, in the wells behind the rear wheels and the sill ends in front of the rear wheels. There are other rust prone places but just have a good look see.

the engines are fairly bomb proof if well maintained so the mileage really isn't of concern. IMO of course....

They say these engines are designed for 500k before needing to be opened up. So it's going to be close. If it's cheap and you budget for a full vehicle rebuild then why not. I only worry about rust to be honest most other things can get rebuilt.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
FWIW new HDFT-engine is around 8500 GBP, gearbox is around 2000 GBP.....:think:
The guy I talked to at my favourite landcruisershop has a cruiser with 700K km. Still running strong and no need to be opened yet.

My old HZJ engine has a Toyota sticker on it claiming it's good for 1,000,000 km so that's 600k miles, only half way by my math...

My old HZJ engine has a Toyota sticker on it claiming it's good for 1,000,000 km so that's 600k miles, only half way by my math...

Might be worth a look then.

If all is in order whats the market value for a cruiser with this mileage, appreciate it's probably a subjective question?

100% subjective IMO.

Andy CGL may be able to give you what I'd call a "book price" but the answer is what you're willing to pay.

In 2006 I bought my HZJ80. I paid €8k which at the time was about £5k.

It was quite knocked about, not rusty at all, but unkempt. Mechanically it had been neglected, although the guy said it had regular servicing. No tickets to prove it, and I recon regular meant every 5 years whether it needed it or not :icon-rolleyes:

Ive spent a fair bit on goodies, and a moderate amount on repairs. I had it sprayed and the small bit of rust cut out and repaired.

Its no looker, but it's my pride and joy, I wouldn't sell it for anything.

Its value is much less than its worth (or should that be the other way round?) You know what I mean.

Unless you want to buy to re-sell, the book isn't worth opening... JMHO

Might be worth a look then.

If all is in order whats the market value for a cruiser with this mileage, appreciate it's probably a subjective question?

In fairness its market value is a grey area with it being subject to so many variables. I'm a little bit inclined to consider anyone who advertises the way that is worded to be suspect from the start, I have an immediate dislike of anyone who advertises a "RARE" manual model when 99% of 24V's are f****ng manuals.
They are all worth a look if you have got time or inclination as you build experience if whats out there.
Would I give the asking price for this Cruiser, I would probably not, that said however, another buyer might just find it to be what he wanted.

Horses for courses though. Patience is the key, angels and all that.

In fairness its market value is a grey area with it being subject to so many variables. I'm a little bit inclined to consider anyone who advertises the way that is worded to be suspect from the start, I have an immediate dislike of anyone who advertises a "RARE" manual model when 99% of 24V's are f****ng manuals.
They are all worth a look if you have got time or inclination as you build experience if whats out there.
Would I give the asking price for this Cruiser, I would probably not, that said however, another buyer might just find it to be what he wanted.

Horses for courses though. Patience is the key, angels and all that.

:clap::clap:

Youre spot pot on there Andy. Funny though, even though the owner may be an ass, his 80 may be a peach. After all, it's the truck you're buying, not the t**t selling it.

That reminds me, soon after joining this forum some guy came on and annoyed everyone.

He was soon rumbled by Karl and maybe you Andy as a known seller/trader/Shark and when I saw a post on eBay of one of his cruisers and the "rare manual" in the spiel along with all the other rubbish "no tyre kickers" and "it has big wheels" sort of stuff, I couldn't help myself from posting "who writes this crap".

Blimey, I had a PM in seconds and he was really abusive and threatening me with "do I know who he is" and "who he knows" "You'd better watch your back sonny".

Piece of sh!t.

As we've said, go check the truck, buy the truck or leave the truck. If you want it you'll make an offer, it may be less than you pay, you may pay less than he wants, that's the game.

Enjoy!

Personally for me I'd love to have a cruiser with 600,000 on it and still going strong. Be great to show people what they can do etc.

Milage just doesn't bother me in the slightest. If you view a truck and it runs sweet etc then all good.

I'd rather have a cruiser that has drove to Spain twice a year at 50mph and maintained well with 500k miles on it,rather than one with 50k miles that's pulled 5tonne around South Wales for eg.

the body is more important.

:clap::clap:

Youre spot pot on there Andy. Funny though, even though the owner may be an ass, his 80 may be a peach. After all, it's the truck you're buying, not the t**t selling it.

That reminds me, soon after joining this forum some guy came on and annoyed everyone.

He was soon rumbled by Karl and maybe you Andy as a known seller/trader/Shark and when I saw a post on eBay of one of his cruisers and the "rare manual" in the spiel along with all the other rubbish "no tyre kickers" and "it has big wheels" sort of stuff, I couldn't help myself from posting "who writes this crap".

Blimey, I had a PM in seconds and he was really abusive and threatening me with "do I know who he is" and "who he knows" "You'd better watch your back sonny".

Piece of sh!t.

As we've said, go check the truck, buy the truck or leave the truck. If you want it you'll make an offer, it may be less than you pay, you may pay less than he wants, that's the game.

Enjoy!

They make me laugh Clive. He was a dealer from Burton.

300,000 K's is only nominal mileage for these vehicles , so long as there has been a regular maintenance schedule maintained including services , 2 80's with similar mileage depending on how they are driven and maintained can be like chalk and cheese , a careful inspection and knowledge of vehicle history would be advised .. cheers Mick

300,000 K's is only nominal mileage for these vehicles , so long as there has been a regular maintenance schedule maintained including services , 2 80's with similar mileage depending on how they are driven and maintained can be like chalk and cheese , a careful inspection and knowledge of vehicle history would be advised .. cheers Mick

Totally agree Mick.

I'm sure I can remember my old man making me watch on a journey to wales once as odometer went back to zero (5 digit one) he was chuffed as! I would be pretty chuffed having a cruiser on the road with 500k plus miles on it as well. It's just taking the plunge on buying one with that sort of mileage.
My oldman used to tell me to stay away from modded off road vehicles but I buying from a member on here how has modded their vehicle in my experience has been worth while.
He also said the buying an ex Police vehicle was a good idea as it would have been looked after! In my experience not the case.
He was right about a couple of things though, death and taxes :whistle:

Personally for me I'd love to have a cruiser with 600,000 on it and still going strong. Be great to show people what they can do etc.

Milage just doesn't bother me in the slightest. If you view a truck and it runs sweet etc then all good.

I'd rather have a cruiser that has drove to Spain twice a year at 50mph and maintained well with 500k miles on it,rather than one with 50k miles that's pulled 5tonne around South Wales for eg.

the body is more important.

I'm sure I can remember my old man making me watch on a journey to wales once as odometer went back to zero (5 digit one) he was chuffed as! I would be pretty chuffed having a cruiser on the road with 500k plus miles on it as well. It's just taking the plunge on buying one with that sort of mileage.
My oldman used to tell me to stay away from modded off road vehicles but I buying from a member on here how has modded their vehicle in my experience has been worth while.
He also said the buying an ex Police vehicle was a good idea as it would have been looked after! In my experience not the case.
He was right about a couple of things though, death and taxes :whistle:

Its always hard when buying anything.

I wouldn't bother in the slightest if the rest of the trucks good and it drives well.

Like that Karl. I'm proud of mine with 380k km, admittedly that's only 228k miles.

Back