Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Where's the best place for LHD 80's

Sounds epic. Looking forward to a build thread! Forgetting the extra bits and pieces, having an utterly sorted base is paramount. I'd like to have done a full body-off strip down job but just didn't have the room. I appreciate that your question was very specific there hasn't necessarily been a pointer to a vehicle just lots of whys and have you thought abouts, but what about a 105 series? 80 running gear and 100 body. If that was a LHD would it be a consideration. They do pop up occasionally.

There is one at Nene - I looked at it but it has the HZ engine... not sure if the 105 ever had the 1hd-ft fitted?? might be an option if so- trying to stay away from the FTE engines as well - as simple as possible but with as much std power as possible - mine has been tuned by JV and trust me I've hammered the crap out of the engine at times but it's still going - at 175k - running 12 psi with inter cooler etc. Engine hasn't been touched apart from regular services - everything else has been rebuilt for my comfort blanket.....

Sounds like you know what you want and best way to go about it Denboy, be wary of the fauxerlanders that seem to inhabit the interwebs. Lot of people with all the gear and no............well you know the rest

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I don't think that it did, no. It's a bit pedestrian is that engine but with lots of torque. Very reliable though. It seems you can't fit a turbo either so I'm told. But you could drop the right engine in if that's all you could get hold of for the right money. Those Euro prices are off the charts.

Mark's right. Watch out for clueless farkwits.

I have to ask just how common are non UK, European 24v Manuals? Autos, yes, but stick shift? I have to say that if I was building another of these I'd be going for a 24v auto. If that meant having to add a rear locker because it was an import, I'd do that. Probably front and rear. Even though the LSD is pretty good I know. ,But auto is a better choice I think. 80's in the EU zone are very expensive. Ask Mussy!!!

A cheap diesel 80 lhd is the unicorn, holy grail. 18 months ago you could buy for 6 to 8000 euro, which would get you a car that needed most probably another 3 to 4000 of work. Afterwards you had a car of around 15k value. Nowadays the starting rate is 8000 (rare) and most are 10+++. They do exist but you need to check the web daily and jump if you se something you think has potential.

I am am looking for a 4th 80 similar to you as my other three are 12v auto, so I would like something different. It has been a year now and still nothing has come up.

good luck!

Landcruiser HDJ80 24VALVE 190000km automaat

Bewaar
€ 22.000,00

Jezzz - they are having a laugh....I'm looking at RHD to LHD conversion kits and make some dosh....

Hi,
I just imported a 24V from the UK because it was so much more reasonable priced. It is very hard to find a rust free 80 Series at all. 24 valve cruisers are even more rare. A couple of weeks ago, we had an Austrian guy selling a 97 with ambulance doors - GX version für EUR 16.000. Milage was 250.000 km. But offers like that are an exception.
In Europe,there were no 24V auto Cruisers.
I would suggest a conversion to LHD if you have a cruiser in decent shape.
Offers like that http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=225152226 would make me suspicious.
Since conversion does not interfere with any numbers, that should be much cheaper that getting a decent truck.
Usually, if you see a decent offer on any of the portals, it is gone before you call.
Cheers
Christian

Now looking further afield - EU prices do not seem to reflect the fact that these trucks are 26 years old at a minimum and to see someone asking Euro 22K is way way above what I would expect. There are 'other LHD' countries that imported the 24Vd 80.

In some way it does show how lucky we are in the UK...

We are lucky in the uk because not many are aware of how good these trucks are, too many are blinded by the slogan the best 4x4xfar and cant see beyond Land Rover, in the rest of the world they are not as blinded by devout patriotism to brand loyalty.
on my last visit to Hungary I jokingly told a Hungarian that the only car that could tempt me to sell my 80 so that I could buy it was a new double cab 70 series, he looked at me like I was mad and told me it would be a bad idea to do that, his advice was to keep the 80 because it would continue to increase in value, but the 70 would not, and it would be a bad trade.
Take that how you will but I count myself lucky every time I get in my truck that I have a 80 series as a dd.

Denboy,
but that will still be difficult. In the US diesels were not imported. Neither were they in Canada. All they import now, is RHDs from Japan. An their prices are insane. You might be able to get Cruisers from NGO's or the UN from the Balkan. In Germany, those cannot be registered because they don't comply with the emission regulations. We would have to buy expensive catalytic converters to make them fit. And we are talking about at least EUR 2.000 and more. Some models cannot be imported at all because of that.
It surprises me how fast and how much Land Cruisers loose value in the UK. Here, for a decent J9 with a D4-D engine from the early 2002's, we would have to pay at least EUR 10.000 - and with 200.000 km on the clock. In the UK, that would be less than half.
Nice Cruisers can be found on the Arabian peninsula, but almost all of them are petrols. Of course - no rust there.
Cheers
Christian

Back