Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which fridge freezer?

Nothing quite like being stuck in a jam on the motorway, popping round the back and getting a magnum out!
When we travel in the NW of Western Australia we use 2x40L Engel fridges, one as a freezer, and yes its a good feeling getting an ice cream out on the Gibb River Road, we also take a Travel Buddy 12v oven, hot crusty pies n sauce... mmm :)

Vac packing works very well. I have emptied tins into bags, vacced them then frozen them. Less room - well better shape, no tin to dispose of and boil in the bag.

Vac packing works very well. I have emptied tins into bags, vacced them then frozen them. Less room - well better shape, no tin to dispose of and boil in the bag.
Good idea, my missus cooked up alot of meals and froze them in take away containers, they stack up well in a 40L engel

Good idea, my missus cooked up alot of meals and froze them in take away containers, they stack up well in a 40L engel
I think that's the kind of idea we are after so we aren't looking for shops all the time, plus trying to find some of the sauces you like in the middle of nowhere can sometimes be difficult. Freeze it from home then you're sorted

Vac packing it means you can bend it into shapes that fit in the space you have. Round tins are uneconomical wrt space. We tend to use the frozen meals like spag bol for late arrivals at camp. Most of the time we'd do fresh, but sometimes you just need to eat and get to bed. I always double seal my stuff in vacuum bags. I did have one bag of curry open once when boiling in the pan. I went to bed crying.

Vac packing it means you can bend it into shapes that fit in the space you have. Round tins are uneconomical wrt space. We tend to use the frozen meals like spag bol for late arrivals at camp. Most of the time we'd do fresh, but sometimes you just need to eat and get to bed. I always double seal my stuff in vacuum bags. I did have one bag of curry open once when boiling in the pan. I went to bed crying.
Yeah I know what you're saying you can mould it to fit better. Haha crying and hungry! Never a good combination:lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well it's looking more like the snomaster as at least people here have used them and rate it, can't seem to find any reviews on the iron man so that would be a step out in to the unknown

never heard of snowmaster, but here engel is rated best, I have 2 of the MT45 models

Might be worth talking to @stan , im sure he had an ex-demo snowmaster for sale so you might be able to save a few bob on RRP.

Ive just sold our last new snomaster BD/C 60 D to trev
I will have new stock on the way though soon
Forum price is £780 plus delivery normal retail is £820

Ive used this model myself, sold the ex demo unit with a roof conversion recently, cant fault it. I actually used it as two fridges and as a fridge / freezer, thats the great thing with the individual settings..

Hi Stan, thanks for the reply. I've just finished creating my rear shelving/dividing units and realised I haven't got the space for that particular one. I have however seen this

Is the a fridge you sell? The bigger one just won't fit like I thought it would. Only heard of this brand recently so trying to gather some reviews up, seems very good so far!

Screenshot_20170918-213212.png

I have no experience of Snowmaster, but i've had an Engle now for 8 years, used it a lot and its never let me down - just my 2 pence.

Does the classic open from the side? I'll be needing one that opens from the front so it hinges at the back. Otherwise it won't clear the roof enough. Thanks for your help
Yes it opens from the side

I have the Iron Man cube in the 105 that was in Oz. When we arrived in Oz we were very kindly given a large quantity of good quality meat, so we ran the smaller compartment as a freezer and the larger one as a fridge. I can confirm that this fridge/freezer does have seperate temperature controls for each compartment. Running the freezer did consume a lot of power from the battery, even overnight; however we were in temps of 45C day and 30C at night! Once the meat was eaten we ran it as a twin fridge set up which has worked well ever since.

It's 4 years old now and is still working fine. I may have the 105 at Lincomb as a day visitor on the Saturday if you'd like a look to compare. I do hope to pop along to the AO show this weekend, again on Saturday, but I'm not sure if I'll have the truck with me.

Personally we don't have much of a call for a freezer when overlanding, a fridge, be it a large one in this case, does us perfectly and sees us go 5 days on our supplies. I wouldn't want to stock for a whole trip door to door, as part of the fun of overlanding is to embrace the foreign shopping experience. Restocking at the Marrakesh in door market was great fun.

I also think very highly of the Engel fridges, I bought a 35L in 2006 and added a two-zone to it in 2007. It has been used in numerous trucks and cars, as well as provided addition fridge capacity during Christmas periods. I have even braved loaning out my trusty Engel to family and friends, and it's still going as well as the day it was bought, and nearly looks as good. It's a very tough unit, which has coped with a lot of off-road action, it started life in my punch challenge truck!

Last edited:
Thanks for that reply Scott I'm glad someone has had use of the iron man, it looks good on spec and price just nobody to back up these points! Your Engel has lasted well at 11 years! They must be a tough unit. Seems they are all pretty good. Only heard bad reports about the national Luna. Cheers

Back