Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which Nitrac disks

Why Nitrac Garfieldus?

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against them, but I fitted new Mr T standard discs to my '95 80 (when the old ones got thin) and I use Mr T pads.

They perform very well indeed.

Just askin'....

That website is not very clear. after 92 all discs are the same size so I don't know what all the other options are for.

I fitted ADB grooved ones and they are very good. I upgraded my brakes at the same time and it took a while to get 7sed to them. I found them very grabby (I locked them up alot to start with)

At the moment Clive I have whatever disks and pads the motor factor had in stock. To say that the braking performance is poor it an understatement and when I'm loaded for a trip it's verging on dangerous. About two years ago I fitted braided hoses and new calipers. Now I'm about to fit a new Aisin master cylinder and to complete the brakes overhaul I want to fit high performance disks and pads.

I'm a firm believer in looking for research that has already been done and if that research has been done by someone whose opinion you trust and admire then all the better.

This morning I searched the forum and came up with the names Nitrac and EBC but what sold me on Nitrac was this sentence by Chris...

As foot note, the new brakes are megatastic. I mean flippin' heck. They are probably as good as I have ever had on any car. Feel is superb, but braking effect is staggering. Pretty sure I could flatspot all the tyres without much difficulty.

...in post #411 here...

If your brakes are that poor I would be looking at the caliper. sounds like they are not acting with full force.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I also rebuilt my calipers and put new Toyota pads and discs on. Abs kicks in easily so there is no point in me having anything "better". On a non Abs car if you want better brakes with standard hydraulics you need more friction so the pads and/or discs wear out quicker. If you can lock the wheels fully loaded you can't have better braking than that.
If you go for high performance discs you won't have good brakes until the discs get up to a certain temperature, which they won't on the road so you'll be worse off.

Toyota had an offer on full set of discs and pads a while back and perhaps still do. I think less than £300 all in. All in gen Toyota boxes.

My original discs did about 140,000 miles.

I'm not sure I'd go with drilled disks for use off-road - the holes plug up with crap and destroy pads... I'm still considering DBA disks which seem to have a great reputation. Steven Eagel Toyota were doing genuine 80 pads and disks a little ago for a great price. May be worth asking them too.

Wait till you fit the master cylinder before splashing out on new discs and check if your LSPV is working properly. Due to the age of these vehicle both of these are likely to need attention.

I run Toyota pads on refurbished calipers with a new calibrated LSPV, Nitrac discs up front with, I assume, original discs on the back but an old master cylinder. My brakes are less than perfect, but when the master cylinder was in better condition I did notice the Nitrac discs made a big difference over the originals on very long hill decents when fully loaded.

Ah that reminds me Rob last year in Spain I had brake fade after about 20 miles down hill. Like driving with a brick under the pedal. Should have read the owners manual and used the gearbox lol.

I have Nitrac grooved on the front and DBA on the rear. I have added a huge amount of weight to my 80 since then and I can't imagine what the std set up would feel like now.
As regards pads, well you'll hate me for saying so, yet again, but nothing I have tried including Mr T and Green things stops like the new Milner pads. I just don't buy anything else. I have at least 2 80s and I run Milner on all of them. They're the best stopping I've had and they don't wear out in minutes like the old ones used to.

Back