Or rating I should get.
The thing is I may never use it in anger as I do
Not go offroad to the same measures as some
Guys on here. But I do like how they look on d front bumper
Cost is a factor. I don't mind having to do some bumper
Mods for it to fit.
thanks people!!

Welcome to the forum

There are some nice and discreet winch installs done on 90's by other members here (J66P and BlackWidow). Take a look at this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8848&p=56215&hilit=winch#p56215

Can't help with winch type but there is another thread where this has been discussed before. Do a search and you should find it

Oh please no. Not again. Not which b***y winch. We've only just mopped up the last lot of blood!

Nice one Ronan. First post and it's going to cause a punch up!

Glad you made it over here fella. Didn't think we were going to see you. Now we can tell you the real story!

By the way I had some ideas about you shackle installation idea. Will fill you in when I get a minute.

Cheers

Chris

Heya, cheers Chris!!

I have an idea too, got some offcuts of heavy
Stuff so gona make something up and use
70x50 heavy box to extend out.
Will put a plate across too and may mount a winch on it.

Can get a champion 4500lb for 200 yoyo delivered
Just wondering is it man enuf if needed

you could do with a 9500 upwards really but then again if you were only going to use in light use you could always get a snatch block and you should be able to get yourself out the crap most of the time but it will be slow

For a LWB, a 9000 or 9500 winch should be sufficient for self recovery with no rush, I had a Superwinch ep9 on the jeep and cannot fault it, will buy another for the LC. For a SWB you may get away with a good 8000. As for brands, the Superwinch was mid to high priced, nothing like the Warn ones by about 50% if you look around. I have used Warns on other peoples rigs and they are nice, for a premium. D4x4 think their superwinches are made of gold at the moment (near £1k mark). There are cheaper brands that have lasted people ages, and I have heard real horror stories about other cheaper ones. Even of the same make / model. So you pays your money and takes your choice. Larger power winches should draw slightly less power as they won't be working as hard, but you risk snapping the cable / rope if you pull to hard whereas a ~9000 will usually stall with cable. I tend to err well on the side of caution and use a double rope pull. the ep9 is fast enough on lower loads that it can be faster than some winches on a double line pull than their single line pull.

I got my old one from PG winches before the chap died, it sat on the jeep for 4 years with medium use pulling a lot of Cherokees and Landies about (usually with the front bumper up against a tree or it's back end tied to a tree as the jeep was too light to pull something that much heavier) and no maintenance at all. The plastic seal in the end of the motor was just starting to perish when I sold it and was considering replacing that with a rubber washer or some RTV.

I found a link on here last night on one of the write ups for the EP9(I) for ~£500, but cannot remember the link now (red something I think) and that was with vehicle specific cabling.

Of course, the Gigglepin twin motor 8274 is possibly the "carsberg" winch, but fitting that on the front may be an issue :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Here we go here comes the punch up............ :pray: :lol: :lol:

On mine I have the Warn M8000 which is perfectly good enough for the job. Now I don't do competitions so speed is not an issue so 8000lb winch is fine. I do have 2 snatch blocks but as yet have only ever used one. The winch worked all day on the winch training day(the pictures that some one kindly linked you too) and most of it was done on a single line pull. The over heat cut out did cut in a couple of times, but that is no hastle just wait a few mins to cool down and your good to go again.

Some will tell you that the warn is not that good and I would maybe agree if I was using it for competition (Hello Chris :romance-grouphug:). There is one weekness with the warn.........it does not like water and after a few deep wading days I managed to kill it and only found out when I went to rescue someone at Lincombe and it was a no go, I had to back out and let Chris do it. :oops:

Just one other thing to remember is that winch will be mounted well in front of your truck and the weight may be taken into consideration as well. For the Warn I put OME plus 50s on the front to compensate for the combined winch and winch mount weight.

If you want I think that I can find some photos of my build and can post them on here if you like.

Steve

That does look like a Warn copy, have never come across them before so can not answer your question.

Steve

That looks a lot like the one I've got, so far it's been OK, but it has not had any 'severe' use. I have taken the solenoid bridge off and mounted it on the side of the transmission tunnel in the passenger foot well to avoid dunking it in the water. It easily copes with my 80 fully laden.

Cossack said:
I have taken the solenoid bridge off and mounted on the side of the transmission tunnel in the passenger foot well to avoid dunking it in the water.

I to have made an alteration to solenoid pack. I have have done away with it altogether and got one of these.http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?page= ... &Itemid=14

They are a real space saver and can be tucked out the way.

Steve

BlackWidow said:
Cossack said:
I have taken the solenoid bridge off and mounted on the side of the transmission tunnel in the passenger foot well to avoid dunking it in the water.
I to have made an alteration to solenoid pack. I have have done away with it altogether and got one of these.http://www.devon4x4.com/index.phppage=s ... &Itemid=14 They are a real space saver and can be tucked out the way.Steve
I did think of getting one of those, but the existing one is not in the way of passengers feet so I didn't bother.

I just took my winch off for some maintenance which i want to do at my leisure so refitted the winch bumper. Only ever used it once in the snow and didn't really need to as a strop would have done.
After driving around today the truck feels so much better without it, the steering especially, and might be just me but the motorway seemed a bit easier.
I am now struggling to find a reason to put it back on after doing it up. I normally off road with others so recoveries are not too bad and i think a Tirfor might fill the gap in what i need. Also means i can unload the truck when just doing road work.

Steve, my only real gripe with Warn is the quality of the parts. I had the 9000 and it pulled fine, no issues, but after a year of mild weather and not much use, I found like you that it was rusty, didn't work occasionally due to something somewhere sticking etc. All things that were made more aggravating by the price tag. So it's not that Warn are 'no good' it's just that for half the money you can get something equally good perhaps actually slightly better and with great back up service.

Chris

Back