Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

New lower mounting bushes on the rear shocks. Fitted new shocks around 18 months ago but one of the outer bushes seemed to have split and perished quite badly so replaced them with the poly bushes from Milners.

its lunchtime and I stopped for a coffee, I have done a bit of the IC install, took a while to blow the bugs out of the AC condenser but it cleaned up ok. Drilled the holes with a hole saw, and fitted the IC and trans cooler
2018-02-02 12.48.46.jpg
2018-02-03 10.50.34.jpg
2018-02-03 11.49.20.jpg
2018-02-03 11.49.36.jpg

So far I'd give the kit the thumbs up, all seems well made, good solid brackets and comprehensive instructions

Last edited:
Measuring up / designing some brackets to fit bmw x3 seats in my 60. After many iterations they are almost ready to take to a fabricator.
A water jet machine should be able to cut them out in no time then just need a bit of folding.
The x3 seats have the same mounting hole footprint as the popular e46 and probably others which took a while to find out.

Last couple of days been more of rattling vibration noise coming from the engine bay. First impressions & inspection only showed the small pulley bearing but driving it more the day after it stated to become more permanent.

I thought it was the relatively new water pump but turns out it was the main belt pulley becoming somewhat loose. Hard to believe but kinda means having to. check once every so often it seems.

Simple fix as you never know what you'll find. Thankfully noise gone happy motoring once again.

Installed a pair of voltmeters. The left one will display the left battery voltage (which has been draining) and the right one will show combined voltage of the pair of batteries. A relay will be utilised to ensure they only come on with the ignition switch.

DD74E910-B2BB-48A5-B250-7D08600162ED.jpeg
Once wired up the charging status should be easier to monitor

Installed a pair of voltmeters. The left one will display the left battery voltage (which has been draining) and the right one will show combined voltage of the pair of batteries. A relay will be utilised to ensure they only come on with the ignition switch.

View attachment 139998
Once wired up the charging status should be easier to monitor

Nice touch there Ben looking perfect :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice touch there Ben looking perfect :thumbup:
Luckily there was a spare space with a blanking plate so very straight forward dervis. Mounted them on a sheet of matt black 3mm thick perspex which was easyto cut and drill

Got the OEM winch working (it's only been used once in 20 years). All except the clutch lever that's seized solid.

Yesterday I continued playing with the arb compressor. Picked up some freebies from one of.my customers. ( still need a few more bits to finish it off)
Attached a quick release do hicky to the rear bumper, Chris made a port for air on the bumper.
20180203_131813.jpg
I dismantled half the drawers looking for somewhere to poke the air line through only to discover one in an accessible place anyway.
20180203_131819.jpg
I left a big loop under the car in case I get an air tank at a later date. Routed the pipe securely fixing it to the floor.
20180203_135619.jpg
Then I put the drawer back in. Using the template supplied in the instructions I drilled four holes in the wrong place in the back of the carcass to attach the compressor.
IMG-20180203-WA0002.jpeg
The top holes are now "slotted"
Anyway it is now secure.
20180203_163032.jpg
I need to get a right angle elbow for the outlet to attach the pipe as it's very close to the rear seat and need to change a couple of the connections from whatever it is they are to whatever the free stuff is and it'll be done. Tested it on the front tyre that was looking a bit squishy and it inflated it from 20 psi to 35 in less than a minute. Much faster than the Ring compressor I have that would probably do the same in ten minutes.

You're getting pretty handy there Nick. Your powers are growing.

Very slowly! I confused myself on the internet looking for fittings so I asked the guy at one of the places I collect from. So I went in yesterday and ended up with free stuff:) said I could have a tank too when I get round to it.

I’ll bet that’s noisy though (not that it really matters) I’ve got my single ARB mounted on rubber bobbins... it’s still noisy...

No pics but did a job on the rear bumper lights.. they were visited several times by the rusty goblins.. had thought about buying replacement units, but used what I had in stock. Drilled out the old lamp holders and wired in new ones that I mounted into the lamp unit. Sealed it up and away we go

No pics but did a job on the rear bumper lights.. they were visited several times by the rusty goblins.. had thought about buying replacement units, but used what I had in stock. Drilled out the old lamp holders and wired in new ones that I mounted into the lamp unit. Sealed it up and away we go

Grab hold of some pics if you could! Might benefit us 90 folks as the rear lights rusting out is a common issue.

Best I can do .. phone was in charging when I was out in the shed.
IMAG1786.jpg

It's a place that gets the brunt of the crap from the road, and a bad design (never originally intended by Toyota)

Bulb on the passenger side was rusted into the holder and had to drill out the whole lot. 25mm hole saw did the job nicely leaving the new holder a tight fit. Wrapped in self-sealing silicone wrap and a bit of sealant to finish it off. Tied the cables up and see how it goes..

Could have done a more comprehensive job including cleaning off the back of the units, but fitting it in between elderly relatives and rugby matches!

Would someone please tell me what is wrong with these that might justify an mot fail :icon-question:

View attachment 36976View attachment 36977
Hi Shayne. I am pleased to read this, my Toyota passed its MOT today, with a couple of advisories, one of which is slight play in nearside steering rack mount. I haven't yet had the opportunity to crawl under to check it out, but how bloody difficult is it to do this on one's Jack Jones?

A few jobs on Silver Phoenix today. Fixed central locking so 3 doors work, utilised the skills of Nick to break into the rear passenger door so need another mech to fix. Drilled and extracted snapped drive flange studs. Found why horn packed in, found my abs fault, tidied up the many cables on the battery terminals. Tomorrow is rear axle oil seal and try and get Lodar remote to work (might be simple as new battery).

Back