Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Sanded and removed as much rust as possible from back axle and surrounding bits and bobs and put on two coats of por15. That stuff is excellent but at the same time terrifying. I have to go to work tomorrow looking like a Dalmation :D

Replaced front brakes flexible hoses - to calipers and from body to axle. took a bit of heat to crack the nuts but all good. rears to do next weekend.

Well i had the mot test done on the truck today .....

i got 6 advisories (listed below)

1. Parking brake lever has little reserve travel.
2. High level stop lamp has light sourses not illuminating (thats cos i stuck a sticker over it)
3. Nearside Anti-Roll bar linkage has slight play in a pin/bush
4. 1x orange marker light inop
5. Aux belt has teeth missing
6. Nearside front hub seal has very slight leak.

Emmissions ......

Fast idle test (2500-300 rpm)
CO .. 0.30 .. 0.01 %vol
HC .. 200 ... 11 ppm vol
.. 0.97- 1.03 ... 1.004

Idle speed test (450-1500)
CO.... 0.50 ... 0.00

Overall results .......... PASSED

Other than the advisories ..... it's passed ... :dance: :dance:

Tek-Tanks fresh water tanks

I had the two new bespoke fresh water tanks installed in the truck. The water tanks with battery boxes were designed by me and Tek-Tanks to fit perfectly in the truck behind the front seats. Tek-Tanks manufacture all sorts of tanks for the marine industry. www.tek-tanks.com

Attachments

• photo 1 copy.jpg
    photo 1 copy.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 81
  • photo 2 copy.jpg
    photo 2 copy.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 69
  • photo 3 copy.jpg
    photo 3 copy.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 67
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Very nice Marius.

I am in discussion with TeK Tanks about my needs after having had the discussion with you at the Elec day.

Thanks Warren.

I am in discussion with TeK Tanks about my needs after having had the discussion with you at the Elec day.

That is very good news and I’m glad you are going with Tek-Tanks as they are an exceptional company.

Replacing thenfusible link today, I got stuck yesterday next to the road with a shaved off wire that goes to the fusible link...

Well if it clears up....
Replace front discs with new slotted ones. replace pads, rewire part of charging system that I fried, but crucially investigate the rather unpleasant noise coming from my drive train when in CDL on the overrun. Oh and tidy the man cave so that I can actually get through the door to start working.

Hmmm.

I made a start on doing my underbody protection. I am using Sikaguard products because I got them for a very good price. The actual application is easy enough, and it dries very quickly which is a bonus. It's the prep that is taking most of the time. I'm using a combination of a wire brush attachment in a drill, a wire brush and a screwdriver to get the rust off first. Most of the rust is off and so far so good, but ran out of usable daylight, so will finish tomorrow.

Here are a couple of before and after pics of the front wheel arches.

IMG_0883.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

Last edited:
I had the two new bespoke fresh water tanks installed in the truck. The water tanks with battery boxes were designed by me and Tek-Tanks to fit perfectly in the truck behind the front seats. Tek-Tanks manufacture all sorts of tanks for the marine industry. www.tek-tanks.com

Those tanks look good Marius. :clap:

And mine ;) Got a good 10mm of grip on the nut now.. Thanks Chris.

This weekend starts the overhaul of all areas of the silver cruiser post the Africa trip.
Front Axle rebuild of what's worn, CV's need repacking. Got all the parts from the trip so no more money to spend :)
Brake service (thanks for the kits Ian)
Rear actuator to go on
Bushes need looking at..
Remove OEM roof rails as they aren't functional and just means we can't get in to any parking garages!
Horrible / costly jobs to do:
- Ruby needs a new paint job. What is it with the maroon cruisers and the laminate coming off. I have mug sized patches all over the bonnet and front panels now.
- Rust. I hate rust. So starts the body restoration. Dinitrol plus quite a bit of body work going to be needed on some areas.

In for the long haul with running the 2 80's now. Can't beat the driving experience and our new Golden Retriever puppy will be big soon!

Fitted the triple washer jets, inside LED dome lights, new blade wipers and side LED's last night in the dark after receiving the shipment from London yesterday - couldn't wait till the morning!

And, I'll be doing it outside in the driveway with proper tools in the SUN :dance:

QUOTE=Chris;289589]They are a standard thread I believe. Any plug that matches will do, I'd guess and as they're the filler, they aren't exactly critical. I welded nuts onto mine as well. Socket kept slipping off. I'd do an e-bay trawl and see if Ford, LR etc match but are 1000% cheaper than a T one.

Chris[/QUOTE]

They look great Marius, just remember there is water along the way and that might be a LOT of weight you may not need (depending on your plans of course). Have a look at a Lifesaver purification jerry can. We used it daily and it served the 4 of us 100% the whole trip. Not one bout of any sickness at all.
Filtering along the way means you can carry a lot less.. :)

Thanks Warren.
That is very good news and I’m glad you are going with Tek-Tanks as they are an exceptional company.

Fixed the heater control not being able to select fully cold (not important in this weather, but let me check the air-con in preparation for summer) and checked over the alarm module. Reckon I might replace it, so I can remote start a fuel burning heater before the proper cold arrives

New parts arrived from Toyota to replace the pickup tubes in the tank, hope that cures the starting issue

Fitted new pickup tubes to the fuel tank - that's a bit of a game getting the thing lined up so the strap fit again!

Nice easy starting so far, but I think I've got either a vac leak or something else is making a constant whistle - gah! Well, I didn't buy it expecting it to be immaculate

Now where can I get some Sikagard 6050 to get the underside of mine all protected....

Thanks Matt.

I know it’s a bit over the top but we wanted a modular design that could hold up to about 80L of fresh water for those long stays in the deep desert. We are also fitting a long range fuel tank and two big solar panels to be completely self sustainable away from civilisation.

They look great Marius, just remember there is water along the way and that might be a LOT of weight you may not need (depending on your plans of course). Have a look at a Lifesaver purification jerry can. We used it daily and it served the 4 of us 100% the whole trip. Not one bout of any sickness at all.
Filtering along the way means you can carry a lot less.. :)

Replaced all the seals and dust covers on the near side front brake calliper. One of the pistons was seized solid and I had to replace it. Ran lout of time, but need to do the off side one next.

Back