Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch wiring, which battery?

Richard Jackaman

I'm installing a TDS 9.5 winch on my 80 and was wondering if it matters which of the two batteries I connect it to?

Cheers

Drivers side is the safest, the passenger side battery is the one that switches to 24v for starting, assuming yours is still 24 volt start?

Thanks Jon.

Thought it would be the drivers side but best to check. Vehicle it's still 24v start.

Cheers

If you speak to David Bowyer @ goodwinch he can tell you exactly what you damage when you power your winch off the LHS battery, he has a 80 with a winch which is used for towing his show van, from what I have learnt all accessories should take their power from the RHS (driver side in a RHD 80) battery.

The winch will pull power from both batteries but the existing negative connections on both batteries are not good enough and need uprating. You can't put in a nice thick cable negative terminal to negative terminal because of the 24v changeover so the passenger side contribution will be via body and engine paths but not much you can do about that without converting to 12v start. With 12v start you can just add the extra cable to join the negative terminals.

Back