Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Windows slow and jamming

There should be 4 part numbers Clive. They are all different. You'll find on the rear ones there is a white or a yellow stripe across the edge of the rubber. The white one should go against the B pillar on the right side and the yellow against the left side against the B pillar. Look as you remove them, you'll see the marking. I know as I did mine yesterday.

I do like that truck Clive. It looks either to be an amazingly good conversion or a factory produced one. Rare as hens teeth if the latter I would imagine.

I think it's a conversion, but it's well done...

Certainly not a common sight even here!

I'm on my way home now, gate A10...:dance:

There should be 4 part numbers Clive. They are all different. You'll find on the rear ones there is a white or a yellow stripe across the edge of the rubber. The white one should go against the B pillar on the right side and the yellow against the left side against the B pillar. Look as you remove them, you'll see the marking. I know as I did mine yesterday.

You scared me then Chris, and you're right (of course) :lol:

Thanks for the heads up... !

IMG_6566.JPG

I've just noticed the address of the dealer...

Hilux Street :lol:

I'd love to get my hands on full a set - amayama out of stock for all but one... can anyone offer pointer for getting them from Dubai, Qatar or the like?

Mine came from Dubai yesterday via Amayama. I think to get them direct you need to know someone over there really.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Bingo! Just tried again with the numbers on Clive's invoice - all in stock! Maybe I fat fingered before...

Thanks, Chris and Clive!

I had my drivers window stuck closed. Wouldn't move at all when the switch was operated. It had been getting slowly worse until it gave up altogether. There were no blown fuses, the operation of the switch was checked and there was power getting to the motor in both up and down directions. I decided to take the system to pieces to find out what was the cause of the problem. After I took the whole mechanism out (best to have an assistant hold the glass up till ready then lower gently or it may drop suddenly into the door cavity) I removed the 3 screws holding the motor onto the gearbox and removed the motor. I found the rotor wouldn't rotate and was stuck in the body (physically stuck, not held by the magnets). A few GENTLE taps on the body holding the rotor and it came free. The bottom bush had become dry and combined with corrosion from condensation inside the motor, the whole thing had become seized. A quick flush out with contact cleaner (electrical solvent) and it was all clean. Re-greased with some grease + PTFE and refitted the rotor into the body and it spun like new (hard to hold in the center of the magnets but good enough to prove it will now rotate). The hardest part of reassembly was holding the brushes back to refit to the gearbox. I ended up fitting the rotor to the gearbox so I could gently pull the brush wires back and insert the rotor all the way and then with help, held the rotor down in the gearbox with tiny screw drivers (take care not to damage the wires on the rotor or commutator) while the body was lowered onto the rotor. This takes a steady hand as the magnets are quite strong and want to pull the rotor up out of the gearbox. Once together, refit screws, reassemble mechanism and test. The assumptions are that the rest of the mechanism is in reasonable condition and the motor brushes are still serviceable. Hope this helps someone.

I am going to Dubai in Feb next year. Does anybody have an address to go and get new parts? Also I believe there is a holy grail massive scrap yard there full of Land cruisers.

I am going to Dubai in Feb next year. Does anybody have an address to go and get new parts? Also I believe there is a holy grail massive scrap yard there full of Land cruisers.

I suggest you google for it, or even youtube may assist.

I know its difficult sometimes, because the UAE websites are often in Arabic and dont come up on English language searches, but some will and maybe it will be enough.

I would suggest a Toyota Main Dealer parts department, I did this in Doha, Qatar and got very good prices and they had what I wanted in stock.

If you look at my post #24 above you'll see the prices in Qatar Ryal (QR), on top of that I got discount of 18%, no idea why but who's to argue!

1 QR = 22p

The front window rubber surround was 207 QR = GBP 45.54 then I had 18% discount = GBP 38.59 No tax no nothing, put it in your bag and act dumb coming through customs.

The trick here at customs is to have a carton of cigarettes in your duty free plastic bag on arrival. Go through the Green NTD gate, and if they stop you, show them the cigarettes. Usually they can't be bothered with all the aggro of forms and stuff so they look no further.

200 cigs is the limit here and one time I came through with a 600 pack. "It's too much" said the guard, "OK, sorry" says I... "I wasn't sure of the limit". "No worries" he said, "have a nice day".

Last edited:
I did in the first place Google Clive and no luck. I remember ther being a post on mud about it also.

I have found a Dubai parts thread there and have left a post.

In Dubai it is better to buy parts from one of the many retail stores rather than the main dealer. There is a large cluster of these stores around Baniyas Square. The best way to get there is on the metro.

If you look at this street view map

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@25.2...4!1sJ4yy6PWucH_qVABden1xqw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

the metro exit is on the right of the picture. You need to walk past the shop with the red fascia and you are in car parts central. If you have not been to Dubai before the metro is an excellent way to travel. The stations have multiple exits which are numbered. Sorry, I cannot remember the correct exit number. Just look for the shop with the red front, it sells body building supplements.

On street view if you walk past the body building shop you will come to a right turn just before the Tara Hotel. Turn up there. Go along that road a few shops and you will see this entrance on the right

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@25.2...4!1s7sf2amrc__1vhS9IbeUmAw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Go in there and go to the furthest shop on the right hand side. You are now in http://papyrusdxb.com/
Ask to speak to Jeethu, he has the first desk on the left side of the shop. I have a long standing relationship with them and they will order stuff in advance for me and I can pay on collection. They will probably not do that for a new customer. You will have to order, pay cash - no cards excepted, and then collect the next day.

You will need to go with the part numbers, rough descriptions of the part will not cut it.

Last edited:
The front window is still working fine. I should probably look at the slow one in the back before it fails. It would be terrible to have one stuck down!

Ok just to report back on my own findings - bit of a disappointment with the new window rubbers! I had already cleaned and Wurth'd the old ones last summer with good results, but come the winter, the more temperatures dropped, the more my windows didn't!

So off to Amayama.com and a box stuffed with new window rubbers arrived 7 days later. Couldn't wait to get one fitted (owing to the weather I can only do 20 minute bursts outside, even with gloves on, before having to retreat inside and thaw my hands), and the result... 6.5 seconds down to 6.0 seconds!

I guess that, my truck having been garaged it's whole life, my window rubbers weren't bad enough to get any real benefit.:rage:

Anyone interested in a new set of window rubbers? Three brand new, one new but for 6.0 seconds of light use? :icon-biggrin:

Discovering Amayama was the silver lining!

So, whilst in Qatar, I took a trip to the Toyota Main Dealer Parts Department and asked for new window seals.

Then sat waiting...

View attachment 109956

Yippee, they had them in stock, QR 631 the lot, all 4 windows! :text-woo:

That's £139. :dance:

I hope they've given me the right ones :oops:

Part nos. 68151 60010 front and 68142 60011 rear.

When I left the building, what should drive past me, but this...

View attachment 109957

View attachment 109958

View attachment 109959

It was a bit of an old workhorse, but interesting nevertheless to see one...

Ah the not so glitzy part of Doha ... The industrial area.
They send me here every couple of years, strap me into a helicopter and then promptly dump it in a swimming pool and turn it upside down !!
That pick up is great.

Ah the not so glitzy part of Doha ... The industrial area.
They send me here every couple of years, strap me into a helicopter and then promptly dump it in a swimming pool and turn it upside down !!
That pick up is great.

Spot on :lol:

The industrial area is the pits, not a glitz in sight!

It was raining when I visited, and the road is so bad, the Toyo dealer had put a pathway of pallets to get you from your car to the front door without having to wade in the mud :lol:

Certainly not for tourists...

What were the old rubbers like? Could you hold them out horizontally in front of you or were they still pliable? Mine made the difference between not working and working but rain and cold slow them right down.
Next stop motors for me. Chris has reported very good results from the Milners motor replacements for not stupid money IIRC.

Back