Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Yellow tops

Unfortunately Steve when Johnson Controls moved Optima manufacturing to Mexico standards fell, perhaps more accurately dropped through the floor!

A typical 'old style' vehicle charging system will keep any of the Optima range in good condition i.e. 14 + volts, whereas modern systems really need a DC/DC charger as the operating voltage is a little lower, Many of the newer vehicles use the ECU to control alternator output as opposed to the alternator's own regulator.

We/us/caravanners have got by for donkies years with the old style 10 amp supply running from the car all the way to the battery 20 foot away, but that assumed plenty of miles before parking up. The hype over the last few years about DC/DC chargers being the dog's dangly bits only applies to certain circumstances. You have seen my setup, nothing changed in seven years, my fridge is not a modern one, and probably uses twice the current of yours, and 240 hookup or not I have zero issues.

Give the age of your present Optima's, I would purchase a couple of decent marine dual purpose batteries, perhaps two thirds the price of Optima's or less and throw them away after four or more years of fit and forget reliability. Bolt them in, no special charging systems ect...ect.

Regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Unfortunately Steve when Johnson Controls moved Optima manufacturing to Mexico standards fell, perhaps more accurately dropped through the floor!

A typical 'old style' vehicle charging system will keep any of the Optima range in good condition i.e. 14 + volts, whereas modern systems really need a DC/DC charger as the operating voltage is a little lower, Many of the newer vehicles use the ECU to control alternator output as opposed to the alternator's own regulator.

We/us/caravanners have got by for donkies years with the old style 10 amp supply running from the car all the way to the battery 20 foot away, but that assumed plenty of miles before parking up. The hype over the last few years about DC/DC chargers being the dog's dangly bits only applies to certain circumstances. You have seen my setup, nothing changed in seven years, my fridge is not a modern one, and probably uses twice the current of yours, and 240 hookup or not I have zero issues.

Give the age of your present Optima's, I would purchase a couple of decent marine dual purpose batteries, perhaps two thirds the price of Optima's or less and throw them away after four or more years of fit and forget reliability. Bolt them in, no special charging systems ect...ect.

Regards

Dave
got me thinking now.........could buy more goodies with savings!

There is a seller on eBay called surplusamps who I got a yellow top from. All he does is trade in used and new batteries. A lot are either from critical equipment that get changed on date regardless of condition, or are from stocks that are approaching or have slightly exceeded their shelf life. The one I got from him turned out to be a bit poor and tested as dud at my local motor factors. Without quibble he offered to replace it free of charge. I decided to go for a new one for which I paid the difference. Couldn’t fault his service.

Might be worth a chat with him and see what he’s got in.

Last edited:
There is a seller on eBay called surplusamps who I got a yellow top from. All he does is trade in used and new batteries. A lot are either from critical equipment that get changed on date regardless of condition, or are from stocks that are approaching or have slightly exceeded their shelf life. The one I got from him turned out to be a bit poor and tested as did at my local motor factors. Without quibble he offered to replace it free of charge. I decided to go for a new one for which I paid the difference. Couldn’t fault his service.

Might be worth a chat with him and see what he’s got in.
Thanks for that, still thinking which way to jump!

Back