Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Known faults

Mark Whiteside

I'm looking at a 2001 4.2 vx tomorrow
Is there any known faults i should be looking at
And are they as bomb proof as the 80

One of the things to watch for is the torque converter fault, fixed some time in 2001 (May?) so manufacture date can be important. Before that date there were lots of instances of a washer in the torque converter breaking up eventually killing the box. Pre failure symptoms are the TC staying locked up when coming to a halt and stalling the engine or at least vibrating like a bugger. Shifting into N and back to D clear it I think. Some people have had success changing the TC before it has chance to destroy the box.

If it has AHC then that can be problematic in a number of ways so check it rides nicely and has good compliant damping but not overly soft or bouncy. Driving up and down cubs should be barely noticeable bumps.

A VX should have an electricaly adjustable streering column with a little joystick on the side of the column. The motors are not very long life and quite expensive so check it goes in and out and up and down. Not a hard job to fix and Mr Rubie could quote you a cost for parts I'm sure ;)

Can't help you much with the engine but I think there's a common fault with an electrical connection on the injection pump and a fuel leak that can run a small amount of diesel along the wiring loom into the truck.

A 2001...
depends on production date then:
The TC-problem is for HDJ100 up to june 5, 2001 production. First 100 with the new, modified, converter was frame no. 904005603 (last 9 digits)

Another issue on early models was the weaker 2 pinion front diff, but that was only up to Aug 1999. Anyhow, first frame # for HDJ100 with the new 4-pinion was 008011850 (9 last digits)

Rust, of course. E.g. under tailgate.
Otherwise, Jon covered it all, as ususal :thumbup:

Had a look today
A little tatty scuffs on each corner
Drivers seat a bit worn
Every thing works and seems to drive well
189 on the clock (would this mileage be an issue)
All for £7000 what do you think

I'm not keeping up with prices Mark but it sounds reasonable. Can't see that mileage being any less acceptable than if it were on an 80 which is no big deal really :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's with AHC then? Did you check the state of the spheres?

What about the converter? Before or after? or has it been fixed.

For 7k, the mileage is a a tab too high for my liking. Check all of the electrics, especially the AHC and the steering column. Another thing to check for is oil leaking into the tray underneath the car. Otherwise do the standard thing, check that it comes with a comprehensive service history (this should answer the torque converter problem) and get the car HPI checked just to cover the basis. I'd say you should consider having the car inspected by the RAC and AA as well but they are both charging a arm and a leg for the service, money which can be better spent going toward a LPG conversion. As always, buyer beware.

John

The Dark Dude

I had the lc over the pit and had a good look over etc
What are the spheres i assume something to do with the suspension

Yes the spheres are for the suspension, mounted 2 a side on the outide of the chassis rails but there's not really anything you can usefuly visually inspect on them. They are the main thing that fails on the AHC and are not cheap to replace. Inspection is mainly achieved by observing how well damped the suspension is and that it changes heights easily.

Inspection of the spheres is done by observing the number of graduation that the level of the AHC fluid changes in the resevoir, when changing the ahc level from Lo to Hi.

Step by step:
1 put the ahc in Lo
2 wait for 20 secs after it has reached Lo
3 take note of the level in the ahc reservoir
4 change the ahc to High
5 wait 20 secs after it has reached Hi
6 check the level of the fluid again

The level can be read on one corner of the reservoir where there are small graduations. The amount of fluid used to change the height of the car corresponds to the reduction in volume of the gas in the 4 spheres.
Less than 7 graduations means that the spheres are shot. 14 grads means they are good as new.

Conditions for this test include:
Has to be done with an empty car.
The suspension has to be adjusted to the specified standard heights.
The Neutral Pressure has to be correct (i.e. the coil springs and torsion bars have to do their part of the lifting)

uHu said:
Inspection of the spheres is done by observing the number of graduation that the level of the AHC fluid changes in the resevoir, when changing the ahc level from Lo to Hi.

Step by step:
1 put the ahc in Lo
2 wait for 20 secs after it has reached Lo
3 take note of the level in the ahc reservoir
4 change the ahc to High
5 wait 20 secs after it has reached Hi
6 check the level of the fluid again

The level can be read on one corner of the reservoir where there are small graduations. The amount of fluid used to change the height of the car corresponds to the reduction in volume of the gas in the 4 spheres.
Less than 7 graduations means that the spheres are shot. 14 grads means they are good as new.

Conditions for this test include:
Has to be done with an empty car.
The suspension has to be adjusted to the specified standard heights.
The Neutral Pressure has to be correct (i.e. the coil springs and torsion bars have to do their part of the lifting)
Is there a way of checking each sphere separately or front to back

You should be able to bounce test them like a conventional shocker, but with the engine running so the valves are powered. The rears went on mine and on small bumps you couldn't really tell but on bigger bumps the back end would bounce about very noticeably. I changed all 4 and it was like a different car. Ian can supply them so it might be worth getting a price so you have a bottom line ;) Changing them is easy.

Well, easier than changing the tap on your kitchen sink - to put it into perspective.

But yes, I agree with you, we are not all Jon :)

Ok, I should have qualified 'easy' and now uHu has done :thumbup: but I know Mark and know he would find it an easy job to change them :)

Back