Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 Squeaky Rattly rear axle

SteveS

I've had this squeak/rattle from the rear for many thousands of miles so I think it is more cosmetic than serious but it would be nice to cure it. Symptoms/facts so far:

seems to be on both nearside and offside - or possibly just in the middle
applying the handbrake make the noise stop (take a look at the video for the noise - wait until the truck is properly going - it is the high frequency squeak I want to cure)
happens over corrugations, pot holes etc
recent full overhaul/service found nothing mechanically wrong and everything works as expected
handbrake recently tightened but this did not affect the noise

I think that even though the noise stops when the handbrake is applied it my not be the actual handbrake itself - I am wondering whether this just slightly alters the way the axle sits in the mounts. I've tried large lumps of sponge in the handbrake cable to determine if this stops the rattle and it doesn't

Thoughts anyone?

https://youtu.be/jzXLoHtVqZY

Sorry Steve, I have similar symptoms on my 80 and I've never got to the bottom of it.

There's moving parts, we know that, but which one(s) are making that noise?

The vid I took of my axle in motion is a wider angle. If you run it, you'll see other things moving as well, as they should, but it does the opposite of narrowing it down.

Body mounts came to my mind, they're rubbers I guess and if dry they might squeak. The 80 axle is similar to the 100, (I'm guessing) except mine only has drum brakes on the rear, no discs or calipers.

I see what you mean about the handbrake cable, but if you've wrapped it to stop any cable to metal contact, it's unlikely.

I've thought of shock absorber rubbers and the top and bottom bushings have all been replaced.

It's not your tailgate is a it? The sound would transmit through...

Sorry, no more to offer....

Thanks Clive - no not tailgate sadly. Tomorrow I'm going to check all the torque settings on the rear bushes to see if that gives any clues. I'm thinking possibly jet washing in case water provides a bit of lubrication and/or there is some grit that can be removed - bit of a long shot. A also thought about a little squirt of silicone spray around the polybushes....not sure if that will cause more problems than it solves though

I'd be wary of lube on the polys, unless someone advises. The wrong stuff would knock them out in an instance.

I'm not envious at all.... :liar:

Happy and safe travels.... :thumbup:

Back