Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 Series Packing system

Did a trial fit-out today with the major components:

The 40 litre Waeco and the Fiamma tank - quite snug, but there is a bit of space
PackingSystem001.jpg

The leisure battery fits behind the fridge just as I hoped :p
PackingSystem002.jpg

The water inlet will be the right hand set, and I think I'll take the outlet from the middle at the bottom of the tank
PackingSystem003.jpg

There should be enough room then for a small drawer above the fridge, as otherwise SWMBO can't see in :D
PackingSystem004.jpg

And I think a shallow drawer in front of the water tank, and a full-length drawer above it. Then the 'wings', with the right hand one housing the water pump, hoses and tank filler.

A top platform, over the top of the fridge and the top of the drawer, with cargo rail and csrgo rings, will finish it off, the whole lot carpeted I think.

I measured up for the fridge slide from Jim and I think it'll all fit. The one Jim has uses turnbuckles and bolts to hold the fridge to the slider, so the bulky handles will come off :)

It's not going to work as a full wood box, though, so a steel frame will certainly be needed.

Now to work it out :shock:

PackingSystem005.jpg

A bit of searching has brought me to Handy Tube systems. Basically a clip-together system. I know that that's not enough on it's own, so planned to at least rivet the lot together. Anyone used this stuff, and is it useful? Or should I use angle-iron and flat-bar and get it welded up? I quite like the modular approach...

Edit - they have some of the square tube with a lip on it that supports a 15mm board, so making the top layer suddenly becomes easier :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Gary, I have seen the tube system used fairly extensively, with a previous employer. It worked well, was used to make custom fit tables and drawer unit external frames, for a production factory setting it did prove to be sturdy doing a good job over a number of years of fairly heavy use. The only area that might be a challenge for you could be if you are going to include a non 90 deg angle e.g. at the back of the cage guard, as I am not clear if they make many angle joining pieces other than 90 deg. :?

Thanks Anthony - great info. I looked at that - all angles are 90 degrees only, but not a problem - there's only a 5cm difference front to back and the wings can rest on 'out-riggers', I think. This may just be the answer to my dilemma - I would only need wood for base / top and drawer units as opposed to an entire frame.

Cheers

Hi Gary,

I've seen the tube system used well in the past, rivets will work well.

One warning on the tank, a customer installed one last week and was struggling to get it to seal around the outlet. It's difficult to tell if the external nut was just week or the fitter was being a little cak handed but the nut kept on jumping on the thread so we ended up using silastic around the seal on the inside and a different plastic nut on the outside.

Gary, The other solution you could consider, is to use one of our local machine shops to make / weld up the frame for you from angle iron or even box section, assuming your plans are accurate therefore you will not need to have the vehicle with them during build up. They also get powder coating done if reqd.

I have used a small company in Dalkeith for some welding, they were very good and did it with no trouble there and then. They have also made a complete stainless steel exhaust for a friend with in a few hours. There are a few other companies in the area which I know people that have used and would do so again.

Just wanted to pop an alternative option into the mix if I am not too late, may save you valuable time. If you want any info. just let me know.

BTW I have no connections with the companies, just am / know satisfied customers.

Anthony

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Anthony. I started work last night on new drawings using the 25mm tubing system - so far it seems to be working OK, and should be a simple assembly (considering I have two left hands with thumbs only :? :D )

Funnily enough I was looking for a powder-coater for my Wildsmith Sliders, and have found one in Straiton next to Costco who will be open on Saturday, so will see what they say.

The fridge slider has arrived, and things are looking a bit less roomy in the back now - hopefully the 25mm lift will get me a little more room across the rear, as it will take me over the initial little lip on the wheel arch covers. I don't really want to hack into them like Jon has done on his :shock: I'm out about 3/4" at the moment ....

I should have the basic design finalised tomorrow, so will post another screen-shot for critique!

Cheers

Good news Gary, I am aware of the coater behind CostCo, one of my friends has used him on a number of occasions, seems pleased with them. If for any reason they are not suitable for your slider, I can give you another couple of names to try, both in the Haddington area.

One of which both my friend and I have used a reasonable amount over the last two years, we have had 20 wheels a chassis and various sundry items coated. So clearly he has done the bizz to our satisfaction, just collected 10 wheels from him the week before last. He too is available on Saturday's.

Well us boys need to have toys after all what would we do with out them :p

On a seperate note if you need another set of hands to help once you get going with the construction, let me know I can always pop round.

Anthony

Y'know Gary, I still think there is merit in simply using copper water pipe as a frame. Any idiot can solder Yorkshire fittings and they don't even need to be water tight do they. You can get T's, 90's, straight couplers etc. Dead easy to cut. You can have 15 or 22 mm. There are even couplers to have 22 AND 15 mm together. Easy to drill into and either rivet or self tap. Also has the benefit of being very cheap.

Chris

Now there's an idea.....
A bender (spring) is also very cheap

Inspired idea, going to try that one for the sides to my drawers system.

I'm just wondering how much water you could store in a frame made out of 22mm! It's what the pipe is designed for after all!

.38l per meter. Well, it's a cup of tea.

Ok, I'll get my coat.

Chris

Battered and Blue said:
I'm just wondering how much water you could store in a frame made out of 22mm! It's what the pipe is designed for after all!

.38l per meter. Well, it's a cup of tea.

Ok, I'll get my coat.

Chris

I had thought the same but decided not to mention it... :oops:

Or pressurize them with helium to make the truck lighter ;)

Paul said:
Or pressurize them with helium to make the truck lighter ;)

Imagine that springing a leak when you arrive at border control.

OK - take 2 ...

After fitting the fridge slide and re-measuring, looks like the back of the 120 is painfully narrow - by about an inch :evil:

So plan 2 is to remove the 40% wide seat on the second row, and fit the water tank there, using the seat mounts as tie-downs. So the frame in the back now looks a bit like this:

PackingSystem2.jpg

I may still fit a shallow drawer above the fridge. Where the slides are will be two trays so I can fit 4 x Wolf-Pak 'ammo' boxes - the high-lid kind. On top is a wooden base, which will have the cargo track and tie-downs ....

Bit disappointed, but this will work just as well .... :roll:

OK Gary, lateral thinking question here.

Just how much do you really need a fridge? Could you do with a small cubby box sized cooler between the seats. Shops are available in most countries and sell cold drink, milk etc. Just asking. It is a space hogger and would give you more flexibility if you ditched it. Cool to have a fridge, but vital?

Chris

I'd avoid using copper tube, it will bend / give. I thought about this when doing my 80 & very soon dismissed the idea.
As Im a plumber it would have been very cheap & easy to do but I wasnt happy at all with it.

I have mounted 2 Fiamma tanks vertically, no problems with leaks on the cap or joints, they are held in place with ratchet straps so are easy to remove for cleaning or if I only wanted to use one.
they are linked via small lever type valves so I can use either i or the other or both together.
Sureflo pump and a tap at the rear.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/AndyWhite ... 6991361090

Andy

I like your setup Andy - great for long vehicle-dependent travel.

Chris - sorry buddy, the fridge / freezer is a must. Where else would I keep the ice-cream?? :cry: :shock: :lol:

I'm looking really at a long-term packing solution for when we finally get to go to Morocco. Probably next year as not too much of the expensive stuff left to do now ;)

I agree though that if we were just trundling round Europe and not straying too far off the beaten track we could probably make a plan. But I intend to stray off the beaten track as often as I can!

Cheers

Back