Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

12Valve v 24 Valve Towing.

IRLGW

I picked up a 20ft boat from Falmouth last weekend and towed it to North Wales (via Bala) and probably the first time having towed a fairly decent weight ( 2700kg) over a big distance. If anyone has driven from The southwest up toward the M5 on the A30 it is pretty undulating. However once the gradient kicked above 6% the speed seemed to shut off pretty rapidly and had to drop to 3rd gear. Generally power doesn't seem to be an issue but was wondering if the lower powerband in the 12v means it struggles to sustain higher revs under load. It didn't really cause any major problem but would be curious to know if anyone has towed significantly with both engines.

I have the fuel pump mods done but did notice a lot of extra smoke so wondering am i needing to look at injectors or this just normal.

I am running 265/75/16 as well.

fuel economy was crap. Av speed 56mph. Towing a 500kg trailer down= 20mpg.

Loaded trailer home 14mpg! normally I average 30 on the motorway@60mph unladen.

Sounds to me like the turbo was working overtime but couldn't keep up a T in boost controller might be a worthwhile investment i certainly felt the difference after fitting one even without upping the boost because it prevents the wastegate opening prematurely .

my 12v auto with 315s on feels a bit like that without towing (it is weighted up a bit for overland) I've learnt the knack of knocking it back into 3rd at just the right point goin up hill, but it does it from 4th to 5th too, feels like a slug on some of the long steep motorway slip roads.

previous owner reckons the injectors need doing, so that's on me list of to do's

I remember towing a broken down 7.5 ton flatbed that was probably 3.5 ton empty. That was down to first gear going up Duncton hill but made it ok.
Truck is an auto 81. Recently had my injectors serviced and she is pulling like a train now…but without the 7.5 tonner on the back. [emoji6]

Last edited:
I remember towing a broken down 7.5 ton flatbed that was probably 3.5 ton empty. That was down to first gear going up Duncton hill but made it ok.
Truck is an auto 81. Recently had my injectors serviced and she is pulling like a train now…but without the 7.5 tonner on the back. [emoji6]

Duncton Hill..... Know it well.

Yes might look at one of those boost controllers. Its not really a big problem but the truck drivers are forced to overtake because the speed drops off so rapidly. I have an intercooler that I was going to fit so might try that as well but would be interesting to note the difference if I had to make the same trip again.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There was nothing wrong with my turbo and i had already upped the boost a bit by messing with the actuator , i bought the turbosmart controller more out of curiosity than anything else but i have no regrets .

Back