Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1996 Colorado vs 1997 2.8 Patrol GR

J4COB

(I posteted this on a Patrol forum. I'll try it here to see the differing responses.)

Hi all

I curently own a Discovery 300tdi 1995 which I am looking to replace with something a bit bigger (and a lot more reliable).
I'm looking at buing a 3ltr diesel Prado 1996 or a 2.8 Patrol GR 1997

they are both coming in around the same price £4000 ish.

I will be hoping to do some overlanding with my wife and two young kids.

The Patrol is a bigger car on the outside, but how about internally?
Is there much or any extra space over the prado?

Also my disco is full time 4wd so is the Prado, good for going from tarmac to snow to tarmac to snow etc.
is going from 2wd to 4wd to 2wd etc etc easy in the patrol? I wouldn't wat to be stopping each time..

any help appreciated

thanks jake.

I like the Patrols, I really do - I assume this is a 4 door? The Patrol, size-wise, is on a par with the 80 series, so bigger than the 90 you're comparing with. Patrols are known for bullet-proof drive-trains, but flaky transmissions, IIRC. Also, dealer support and after-market components seem to be completely non-existent inthe UK. Is there a Patrol owners club?

The Patrol has a beam axle up front, I think? Vs the IFS of the 90, so the 90 will be more comfortable to drive. I also think, with the Patrol being bigger and running the 2.8 that it's under powered 9or so I've read - not a lot of steam there). The KZ-TE in the 90 is not an F1 engine, but is a more than capable one, especially with the slightly smaller and lighter body.

Depending on where you're taking i t (e.g. Africa) you're more likely to find parts for a Toyota than a Patrol.

At the end, it'll be your choice - but make sure you take SWMBO with when you go for a test drive - coz her comfort will need to be taken seriously!

Good luck!

I think Gary has covered most of the bases - none of the Patrol diesel engines are great (either underpowered or unreliable or both). The most reliable is the 4.2 N/A diesel which is a serious donkey. The 2.8 will struggle pushing that heavy body and the Prado will feel very nippy by comparison. I would expect the Prado to be substantially lighter on fuel too.

The key differences IMO will be the solid front axle versus IFS - if it's for general use around the UK then the IFS probably has more upsides than downsides. The other difference is the amount of interior space - the Patrol is a bit roomier, although the Prado is surprisingly spacious.

Obviously on this forum you would expect people to be pushing the cruiser option and I am no different in that regard. :mrgreen: Oh and welcome to the club if you buy the Prado :lol:

I looked at both and what swing it for me was the respective communities. The Nissan forums weren't very useful or friendly, and there are virtually no accessories available for them in the UK. Whereas I found 2 or 3 very friendly online forums for the Landcruiser and there are some accessories to be found in the UK (although nothing like the availability in Australia).

honest suggestion.
the 2.8 will be small if you are looking at a 4 door in the patrol ... so i am told.
the Playdo has a time bomb for a diesel engine and since you have already had some experience with money pits i would suggest you stay away from the Toyota light duty land cruisers unless it is a gasser.

Crushers said:
honest suggestion.
the 2.8 will be small if you are looking at a 4 door in the patrol ... so i am told.
the Playdo has a time bomb for a diesel engine and since you have already had some experience with money pits i would suggest you stay away from the Toyota light duty land cruisers unless it is a gasser.

I think you are a bit wrong with what you are saying here.

Firstly the Patrol 4 door is a very big 4x4, as big as the 80 series. Im not too sure on inside though.

Secondly what do you mean by a "time bomb for a diesel engine"? There are many people who own these vehicles and dont have a single problem. Some do, and the most common one would probably be the cracked head, However there are ways to prevent/ check to get your cooling system in top condition. Other than that the colorado models do not suffer from any other major fault.

I have a 16 year old one that has 160,000 miles on the clock and still going strong....

My opinion is to have the Toyota, major reason why is that if you are going overlanding you are bound to come across loads of toyota parts than Nissans... Secondly the IFS will suit a more comfy ride for travelling. And finally you will be able to get most/all of the parts to prep it from the UK.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
im not a fan of 90's, so i think id pick the Patrol! :thumbup:

I will not make this comment unless it is completely understood the I am firmly grasping one of Bob's Trees (sorry bob)

my 90 has 175k on the clock. Starts first time, don't burn any oil, transmission is smooth and sweet, only problem there has been and is likely to be in the next "X" years was a broken control arm mount. oh and the stupid god damn alarm system. Engine runs sweet as a nut. I am still very much inclined to believe that the head problem is very much more an issue on the autos due to the additional strain put on the cooling system.

I love my 90 more than any other car I have ever owned and I really feel that the decision to buy one for the purpose it is designed for would never be regretted.

I have absolutely no idea what the patrol is like. It may well be very good. All I can do here is express my opinion of what I feel is a neigh on bullet proof truck

Have to agree with Chris above. Colorado/prado is pretty bulletproof. 170k on mine with no faults, just wearing parts. The Patrol is sluggish in the 2.8. Big truck but not as versatile as the Toyota for an everyday machine. The Colorado does everything to some degree

A lot depends on what your going to use it for? Overlanding out side of the UK I would go for the Nissian. If you plan to do anything with it in the UK the 90 Land Cruiser is the way to go. The Petrol is too wide for the UK as it is wider that a 80 series!!

Paul

Not wanting to sound obtuse...but...Quite odd paul that you say for overlanding you would go for the Pat when everyone else says toyota due to parts availability. I have never done any foriegn travel but everything I have read so far pretty much says "Go Toyota...The parts are easier to find." Ok If your vehicle is in mint condition and not likely to suffer any problems then poss risk it. But when taking a 10,12,15,20 year old truck that far I would want to know that I could replace what needs replacing, Plus the fact lets face it...If your gonna do it...Do it right. (Insert "it should be done in an 80" smilie here)

This is probably more of my friday liquer'd up drivel but hey its what I think

Chris

Chris Green90 said:
Not wanting to sound obtuse...but...Quite odd paul that you say for overlanding you would go for the Pat when everyone else says toyota due to parts availability. I have never done any foriegn travel but everything I have read so far pretty much says "Go Toyota...The parts are easier to find." Ok If your vehicle is in mint condition and not likely to suffer any problems then poss risk it. But when taking a 10,12,15,20 year old truck that far I would want to know that I could replace what needs replacing, Plus the fact lets face it...If your gonna do it...Do it right. (Insert "it should be done in an 80" smilie here)

This is probably more of my friday liquer'd up drivel but hey its what I think

Chris

That's kinda like my point about the 90. It's not as good off road as an 80, but its still not bad. It's not as refined on the road as a Passat, but I've driven a lot worse, and its pretty good on the juice for a big (if not enormous) vehicle. Can't say the same in all cases for the Nissan. Even the newer 3.0 is underpowered.

If he was talking about an 80 series I would say the 80 series. But I would say a 90 is going to be a bit small for 4 people. The Petrol is a great 4x4 and if you planned right parts would not be a problem. Yes Toyota is going to be easer to get parts, but people use Pug 205s and Citreon 2cvs for over landing and seem not to have much problem with parts. There is a couple of people going around the works right now in a London Black Cab, it runs a Nissian engine!!

Paul

I believe the Colorado has the edge when it comes to ride comfort and power on road. However it's hard to beat the Patrol for off road prowess and size (sure, an 80 series might do it but we're not talking decent 80 series money here). My choice would be the Patrol simply because while it might not be as comfortable, it is bigger than and just as reliable as a Colorado plus you get the extra confidence of not being held up by any obstacles. Parts may not be as plentiful as for a Toyota but they're still out there. There are people all over the world who drive Nissans, including in the harshest and most remote places on earth.

This is all my personal choice and you might decide that a collie is big enough, and that power and ride comfort are the more important aspects in your decision.

It's worth remembering that if your routes take you on corrugated roads you will be able to cruise faster in the IFS collie before rattling your teeth out, although airing down the tyres a little on any car will do wonders on these roads

Jim.

i posted the 2.8 would be small (as in too small engine) for the large 4 door patrol.
i would not hesitate to buy a 4.2L patrol over the Playdo.

well you mentioned overlanding in a 90 so here is my 2c worth..
I'm biased but there is no doubt the 90 will take you where you need to go!

Depending on how much stuff you need it might be a little small, but as usual, the more space you have the more you pack.

Martin & Nicole have driven their 90 all over: http://myoverlandadventure.com/

I drove my '97 Colorado the length of Africa.
Here we are in the Congo:
IMG_1918.JPG

During the trip my only issues were a clogged radiator from mud-plugging, causing overheating. Quick and easy fix. Then towards the end the front anti roll bar links snapped. This was due to the salty UK roads.

Also, to be totally fair, it did have a head crack when I first got it :roll: , so this unfortunately is an issue with the KZTE. If I was doing it all again, I would probably choose the 3.4 V6. But not unhappy with it at all - the rest of the vehicle is excellent. After 20,000+ km's through Africa, and some really really bad 'roads' and offroad travels, there are no rattles, squeaks etc

Goes like its new , with 150k on the clock :clap:

ignat said:
After 20,000+ km's through Africa, and some really really bad 'roads' and offroad travels, there are no rattles, squeaks etc
Seriously? My 80 was pretty good before it left to Mongolia and now its got plenty of [strike:198vp2ee]rattles[/strike:198vp2ee], [strike:198vp2ee]squeaks[/strike:198vp2ee] err character. Even got the windscreen rattling :shock: Either the roads are pretty good in Africa or I drive like a lunatic :think:

If overlanding is your priority then for piece of mind I would go for the heavy duty Patrol and leave the light duty Prado/Colorado at home, but if you want to mainly use it in the UK with the occasional 2 week trip to Morocco then go with the Prado. Neither engines are bullet proof so they are even on that front.

Rob said:
... the heavy duty Patrol and leave the light duty Prado/Colorado...

What makes the Patrol heavy duty? And the Colorado light duty?

Good point about the head on a 90/95. It is the Achilles heel on that vehicle. Charlie and Nina went to Vietnam and back in there's and other than the odd broken shocker mount, the only problem they had was the head. And man was it a problem. I'd go D4D or 1KZ-TE with replaced head and a few miles to test.

The great thing with the 80 is that it's very simple engineering, all nice and big - two spanners and a smacking stick and you're about sorted.

Whatever you take, prep is the key and probably second is having the basic skills to fix stuff - and the parts to do it.

Not been there myself. Would love to , but I'd do it in a vehicle that I knew inside out what ever I went in.

Chris

Back