Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1997 80 series

Outwardly I'd say that looks like a very good car. Top money, but worth it if it's 100%. The owner seems to know more than you'd perhaps expect of someone how just drives one of these. Nothing by way of history, previous owners etc though. No bidding, but no buying option either. with 93 k on it just how bad could it possibly be underneath? If you are looking for an 80 then this would seem to be a strong candidate.

Genuinely I cannot see a single fault. OK non genuine batteries, rad cap on the opposite side to mine. ? Even the aerial is straight. If there is a catch, I can't see it. This one is surely worth a visit. Andy I know you don't like red. But you have enough already.

Don't like the cloth interiors but as you say, looks tidy. Another 30mpg merchant - not Bob is it? :think:

Dave, I am no liar and have had 28.9 out of mine with some rubbish tyres on and supermarket diesel, and that was prior to a proper axle service etc etc. 30 really isn't a fantasy you know. Now, 36? Hmm stretching it a bit I think.

I'm just getting used to the beige interior in my green GX but it just doesnt go with red.Like you said Chris, at that mileage it could be good, and theoretically should be good too. Still only an examination by someone who knows about these things can determine this.
Regarding fuel consumption best I got in my GS on a run was 27-27.5 wheras that import auto 24V always did 25 mpg.

Andy

Am I missing something guys?

Wasnt this the one that made nearly 10k a month or so back?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It says it is fitted with a:-
proper manual gearbox
Were some fitted with wrong manual boxes then :doh:

I smiled at that too!

I think some are more proper than others, mine has a crunchy synchro on 3rd, not proper at all! :thumbdown: :lol:

Karl's right this is the same one as listed a month or so back that sold for £10k! See my thread "parallel 80 universe" same photo but that was in the midlands somewhere.

Spooky - is it money laundering or a straight forward scam. I will investigate!!

Oh yes! Hmm, something odd there then.

I don't think theres anything dodgy about the truck being listed twice , the seller has no other vehicles for sale so perhaps its just a shrewd private seller who listed it the first time as an auction with a sky high reserve price just to see what someone might pay with no intention of actually selling . Now he is selling buy it now at a price he thinks is fair without risks of auction . Someone who doesn't enjoy haggling perhaps .

By using the same pictures from the advert that HE bought it from? Doesn't that strike you as being remotely odd?

Like i said i don't think it was actually sold the first time around , just ask how long he has owned it to know for sure there's no point in him telling you anything but the truth because its in the log book .

I keep items i've been outbid on in ebays watching for sometimes up to a month after they sold , its surprising how many "sold" items are relisted by the same seller - sometimes within the hour .

Last edited:
If you sold the car for £10K and the buyer pulled out you would then offer it 2 the second highest bidder that was offering £9.5k just say you wouldnt advertise it for nearly half the price.

there is lots of scams at the moment offering cars at half price what they say is you cant view the car you must pay with paypal and they then send the car to you as they work out of the country.
i am not sure what sort of people fall for it. i have found a 120 and a mog which were to good to miss and both had the same stories.
stu

I have tried to find the original add but there's no record on ebay. But if the original was for sale in Bradford just like it is now then maybe. But if it was elsewhere in the UK I'd still call that odd. And in the screen shot originally placed in the other thread there is no seller name.

Maybe some one bid it up for him and in the end no one actually bought it when it closed.

Seller Celica 202 location Stoke on Trent. Well that clears that up. All perfectly normal and above any suspicion. That's Stoke on Trent, West Yorkshire. Ermmm hang on...

Are you thinking what I'm thinking Chris, they may well be cousins, ( ask Karl)

Andy

Oh of course, I was selling it and I drove it to my Aunties where I left it. But she was on holiday so I used HER computer and I forgot that she lived in an identical looking house in Bradford. Anyway, I did sell the truck for £10 k but the bloke didn't want the reg number as he was Lithuanian and it was bad luck for him. Then, I remembered that I had another identical red 80 in the garage that had been my Uncle's. That was SORN and had no plate on it. So I put this one on and put it up for sale. Since then I realised that I sold it for too much money so decided to sell the other one for half the amount.

There's probably a really simple true story.

It gets worse look at the old add and click others items from this seller , he breaks cars and the 80 is in the background sat on wooden blocks .

Back