Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1kz-te shutting down by itself! (engine failure) Help....

Hi
I know this was a couple of years ago now but did you ever get to the bottom of this problem? I'm having the exact same issue. I'm going to take a look at the ECU to see if there's obvious capacitor damage but it would be nice to know where else to start looking.
Many thanks
had a similar issue on & off for almost 2 years . it was temperature related i.e. when it dropped below zero the problems would start .It was finally traced to the fuse/relay box near the steering column (RHD car) some dry joints on the pcb. someone had been in there before &
DSCF3980.JPG
the box was loose - moving it would stop the engine.hope this helps

had a similar issue on & off for almost 2 years . it was temperature related i.e. when it dropped below zero the problems would start .It was finally traced to the fuse/relay box near the steering column (RHD car) some dry joints on the pcb. someone had been in there before &View attachment 100205 the box was loose - moving it would stop the engine.hope this helps

Thanks Goodoldboy. I took the cover off the ECU and there was a very slight amount of corrosion around one of the capacitors.I sent it to anything electronic in Nelson,NZ and the fixed it and sent it back for $220 including freight.Problem solved. They said they do about 10 1kz ECU's per week

anythingelectronic.co.nz

Thanks Goodoldboy. I took the cover off the ECU and there was a very slight amount of corrosion around one of the capacitors.I sent it to anything electronic in Nelson,NZ and the fixed it and sent it back for $220 including freight.Problem solved. They said they do about 10 1kz ECU's per week

anythingelectronic.co.nz

anythingelectronic.co.nz
phew that sounds expensive - a mate of mine fixed it , took him about an hour & cost me a decent bottle of Rioja , about $30

Hey guys, having a very similar issue with my 96 Prado. Goodoldboy (if you can remember) were you describing the ECU under / next to steering wheel yeah, not the main ECU behind the glove box? I've done fuel filter and had the main ECU done, and short of replacing the injector pump itself, I'm hoping the smaller steering column ECU might be the cheaper option!

Back