Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2nd AHC sensor fails Toyota admit design fault.

tonytone

I just had my 2nd front AHC sensor fail.

Symptoms are very hard , almost solid suspension, nose up in the air.

Funnily enough no error codes where showing on the AHC system.

So I decided to speak to Toyota customer care about it. They told me the following;-

The warranty was extended from 3 years to 5 years on this part as modifications have since been made to the part ,unfortunatly your sensors failed after 6 years and 7 years and so we are unable to help you with the cost of replacement.We did not do a recall on this part as it was not regarded as a safety issue.

So it seems they admit there was a design fault but chose not to do a recall as it was not regarded as a safety issue.

So the question is ....If a part is changed due to bad design was it originally fit for purpose and as in my case 2 of them have failed do I have any legal rights to pursue this ? They do after all cost around £280 each.

I hand this over to the panel to discuss.

With my warranty head on.

The original failure is open to debate, but what are the dates of the first one failing and the second one as there could be a parts warranty claim to be had. It is usually 12 months but some companies do 18.
If you have evidence that the part was updated that can also allow an appeal. Also, who fitted the part?

I should clarify this a little , the original failure was the passenger side sensor 12 months ago(6yrs old) , the most recent failure is the drivers side(7 yrs old).

First replacement was done by the toyota dealership at which time they advised me that the other one would probably fail soon . How right they were 12 months and 3000 mile later it failed.Wow those toyota techs are good.

Failure was due to water ingress causing corrosion to the springs, and lots of black dust.

Depending on ho youlike to do things i am sure you will find a second hand one as there are enough people n here who have removed thier AHC and still have the parts lying around.

I am be wrong but would think for £100 someone must be willing to sell theres

Julian V had some off me when I took mine off and I know he's removed the AHC from a few so worth giving him a call? When I opened mine up (it's a 2001) they were spotless, no sign of anything getting in there on all 3. As for 'fit for purpose' then as they lasted longer than the period of time the manufacturer was prepared to warranty them for then doesn't that mean they were 'fit for purpose'?

Back