Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

35's how much lift?

Gary820

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Sorry if been covered before but can't seem to find much.
To get 35's under my 80 how much lift will it need? Would rather do suspension then body lift. I've had a look at the iron man 4 inch kits but does it need 4 inch? Don't wanna jump straight in without some info from people who've been there done it kinda thing. Know how to get big tyres under a trooper lol, lc still new to me.

Thanks in advance.
Gary.

My 80 had 35's when I bought it with a 2" lift. Never offroaded it with that setup. Apart from being sluggish all seemed fine. Quite a few folk running that setup on ih8mud.

It depends really on what you want to do with the truck. Are you going to offroad and overland it or is it just a run about? 4" lift would be good for offroading and be fine overlanding (Olazz has done a fair few miles now on a 6" lift and 35's with no issues related to the tyres or lift). If you just mosey about with it and like big tyres then 2" will be fine.

What are your plans for your truck?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Forgot to say Truck will be getting used off road, it's only a shiny for now lol. not necessarily after massive flex and anti roll bars are likely to stay on, the odd scrub of tyres isn't a major concern but cutting into body work with them is!

Mines running 33s and a 2ish inch lift (less on the front, more on the back - don't ask - previous owner :wtf: ) but doesn't foul at all. 35s and serious off road - yep, I think 4" is about right. Agree - wouldn't go near body lifts.

Last edited:
Forgot to say Truck will be getting used off road, it's only a shiny for now lol. not necessarily after massive flex and anti roll bars are likely to stay on, the odd scrub of tyres isn't a major concern but cutting into body work with them is!

You generally won't need to trim body work until you get into the realms of +37". The wheel wells on an 80 are pretty cavernous compared to most other 4wd's.

Have you already got a 2" lift? Or are you trying to decide between 2" & 4"? If you have the 2" lift I'd say go with the 35's and see how you get on. If you don't have any lift then go for 4".

Are you going to regear?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Assuming the standard bump stops are in place, and the springs or dampers don't bind before the axle can reach the bump stops, then the height of the lift is irrelevant.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the input. It's currently as it left the factory underneath. If I bought a 4 inch kit and people then say only needed 2 inch I'd be kicking myself lol.

Ref re gearing was gonna see what it's like, I know mpg will be horrendous but not too fussed about that lol.

35's? Girl's tyres :lol: . I don't think you need a 4" lift. I have 37's on mine and a 4" lift. It's more about the bump stops really. Which tyres? Some claim to be 35" but they simply aren't. BFG and Cooper usually are what they say they are. But others like Silverstone etc aren't.

Chris

Girl's tyres lol, first time heard that...like it! I tried the old troop on 35's and could only get half lock with 4.5 inch lift (including body lift) big hammer would've been needed lol.

They're bfg's and made my 33's look small! (Half worn mastercraft's so prob more a 32)
So do you think 2 inch lift and stock bump stops or longer ones. Either way want new shocks and springs rather then spacers.
Not looking for massive flex going for the theory lockers are there to be used, had big flex before and found it a bit worrying at times, in all fairness had to rely on back end to flex as front didn't move loads so was technically unbalanced. front locker used to compensate for lack of flex
2 proper axles is new to me lol.

If 2 inch is enough do the panhard rods need anything doing to them, also seen bushes etc for castor correction, or is that no such an issue?

OK there is a lot in there. 2" lift on an 80 doesn't need castor correction, nor extended brake lines, drop down oxygen masks or panhard adjustment. 4" does. You can do a little castor wiggle if you want to, if the steering feels less positive, but you shouldn't need to.

You should lengthen your stops but by the same amount as your lift really. It's this that stops your tyres mashing your arches. Now if you go for the full 4", pretty much everything is in the kit. Well with an Ironman kit that is. That is if you want to fit Ironman. I have twice and said I wouldn't after the first time. If I do it again feel free to punch me in the face. I like the ride very much, but the quaility of the finish is utter shite and the support that I have had from the main people who sell this has been non existent. "Oh yes, sure we'll pop one in the post to you, err sorry we'll do that now, oh right well he's not in at the minute, did we? I don't remember that" Other people\s experinces will be different I am sure. If you buy some, just lacquer it first.

I am running 35's at the second on the road and they look a bit lost with the lift that I have. I know that Gav had 35" Procomps and a 4" lift and it looked Boss. But not sure he would have had rubbing with a lesser lift.

Chris

Thanks for the info Chris.
Drop down oxygen masks?! Quite a comprehensive kit then lol.

I don't mind putting the work in if I have to, if don't have to and costs a bit less it's more Money for petrol.

Been having a look at some lift kits and thinking of going for a pedders kit.
Looks like it'll give a good lift on mine, quotes a ride height of 800mm and mine is sat at 710 mm! Bit if sag on the springs then lol.
Had a look on ih8mud and there's quite a few running 35's with 2 inch lifts.
Soon as house extension is done gonna get some stuff ordered

I can't tell you much about the Pedders stuff other than it looks good quality and nicely finished and they are forum members :thumbup:

As I have said before, just make sure that the tyres you get ARE 35" or all this will be for nothing. Many are not what they say they are.

Chris

Yeah looks good stuff, noticed they were on the forum too.
After reading some opinions about the iron man stuff thought I'd have a look around. Read the article in tor where fitted it to the patrol and for the price worth a go imo.

Got bfg mt's and measure true. Going to collect some parts and do all other bits and pieces in one go.

If you want to really use 35"s how they should be used then 3" of lift really is the minimum this offers great articulation and no scraping with adjusted bump stops. 3" would be my recommendation

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

These are Fedima 35x10.5x16 on a two inch lift, tyres actually measure about 36.75 x 11.5, imho 2" lift is not enough.

20130326_155203 (Medium).jpg20130326_155223 (Medium).jpg

36x12.5
DSCF0010.jpg

37x13.5
DSCF0019.jpg

standard bump stops, maybe a little tweaking of the back of the wheel arch. Keep as much up travel as you possibly can imo, keeps the truck more stable when you twist it. I ran 35x10.5 Simex ET's on the green 80 for a couple of years on a barely 2" lift no other mods.

Thanks for the pics and input.
Plan is to go with the pedders kit. I'm gonna order a set of their spring spacers (20mm iirc) just incase I need a little bit extra, if don't need them sell them on and if I do I've paid postage once.

The kit quotes a height of 800mm and mine is sat at 710mm at the rear so should give my truck a good lift.

These are Fedima 35x10.5x16 on a two inch lift, tyres actually measure about 36.75 x 11.5, imho 2" lift is not enough.

View attachment 6302View attachment 6303

Just a bit confused by the photos 898kor. Is the RHS Rear on an invisible axle stand or something similar? If yes then that makes some sense. The RHS tyre looks like its touching the rear bumper or at the least very close.

PS it's comforting to see an 80 on here with more colors than mine ...!

Last edited:
Just a bit confused by the photos 898kor. Is the RHS Rear on an invisible axle stand or something similar? If yes then that makes some sense. The RHS tyre looks like its touching the rear bumper or at the least very close.

PS it's comforting to see an 80 on here with more colors than mine ...!

Hi Clive,

No, the pictures you see are with car in the same position, the front nearside is parked on two laid down wheels to give the articulation.
The bumper is a self fabbed thing based around when it stood on 33's - now being changed!

Colours... hmm! - parked it up a year ago to cut out the (ruined from off roading) sills and replace with the box section that you can see, did that, then grit blast the underneath, left it for 9 months and now back on it - building bumpers etc etc and cant decide what colour its going to be!

Back