Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 rear winch bumper build

That's some very smart, and neat work there Chris :clap: Once you've finished tinkering and had the powder coating done, it's going to look the absolute business :thumbup: Well engineered.

Because, Paul, there is a hoofing great piece of channel behind there. If you look at the build, you'll see that this bit in the last pics is just the over-bumper. The fancy bit. Behind that is the actual winch bumper. It fits flush up to the outer part so that when it get hit, there's no room for deflection. All the wheel carrier assembly hangs off that too. It's a bumper of two halves in fact! It'll be fine. I intend to run a piece of strip under it too.

Chris

Holding off on the PC at the second until I am completely happy. Changed the hold open latch today as the other one seemed too bendy and I could see disaster looming. Quick spin on the lathe later and here's a steel one. Hmm, much better.
Works a treat.

Chris

[attachment=0:12rnjdzt]P1000866.JPG[/attachment:12rnjdzt]

Attachments

• P1000866.JPG
    P1000866.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 332
Pin looks good Chris... how have you fitted the spring? I see from your other pics the box section its fitted to are closed off.. :think:

It was. I had to touch it here and there with an angle grinder. :whistle: Next version might need a removable cover. Not a welded one :roll:

The pin incidentally has a hole through it to fit a roll pin. The springs and shim washers to adjust it are all held back by the pin which sticks out enough for the spring to rest on, but not enough to stop it moving in the housing.

Chris

9 years later....
20210514_173744.jpg

Hi Chris, i'm sure i'm being lazy, stupid or both. I may have skipped re greasing the bearings over the last few years... Top one is ok but as you can see the bottom one could do with some attention. Can you remember what size/ what theyre off of so i know what to ask for as a replacement? Cheers Chris :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Blimey, not sure if my records go back that far. You might need to put the calipers on there. Let me see if I can track it back. They were a common size. All we need is the pin diameter and the internal bore and we can match it. Buy some bloody grease too!

Ahh now I didn't make that pin Nick. It was a bought one. Came from JW in fact, might have been a Slee one at that so I didn't get the bearings for it myself. Still not difficult to replace though.

Last edited:
It was a bit difficult to open the last month, but still smooth,this last week it went crunchy! I've lost the locking wheel nut thing so taken me a month of searching before I gave up and hammered a pipe omtonitbto remove the wheel.the top bearing is fine and still full of lovely clean grease. I shall nip down to midnight motors later as he has everything imageineable in that shop, cheers Chris :)

Think the top nut is 24mm. Ahh see what you mean sorry. To get the spare off!

Yes, it's all a bit heavy together, it was a 28mm. Had a good rummage through a lot of grandpa Thomas's tools and found one. I need to get me a "puller" though to get the rest of the bearing off. The one I have isn't big enough, still can't waste money on new tools :)

I've got spare bearings for those if your new one doesn't work out Nick. There should be an oil seal in the bottom of the hub as well to keep the water out ...

Thankyou I removed the bottom bearing race and found some numbers
20210516_150615.jpg

a quick google comes up with bearings so yay for that :)
i still need to remove whats left of the bearing on the spindle though, my puller isnt big enough, i shall ask the mechanic at work. I can't see an oil seal though?
20210516_175959.jpg

Attachments

• 20210516_150625.jpg
    20210516_150625.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 32
A bit of heat and prying would probably shift that, and / or cut most of the way through it with an angle grinder. The oil seal would be in the very bottom of the hub, the bit you've took off that's part of the wheel carrier. Normally it would trap that bottom bearing in place in the hub. Periodic re-greasing of the bearings would probably help though :icon-rolleyes::lol:

Thankyou John, ill give it a go. Definitely no oil seal there though. Up till about a month ago it was fine and removing the top cap just showed lovely grease in there, it was only last week it started making a horrible noise so I investigated further. I believe once every 5 years could still be classed as periodic....

It's amazing it's lasted that long.

a grinder may do it mate but be careful. I'd try and go most of the way through then chisel it.
or just give some heat then try and chisel and turn

Don't think it will take much doing. They weren't a press fit.

Apparently an unmaintained one can rust on....

Back