Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 rear winch bumper build

Well we're nearing the end of the build on this. At last. Memo to self, stop working on other people's cars :roll:

Got some natty little LED lights to go on the carrier

P1000807.jpg

Accessed through the back via neat plastic caps

P1000809.jpg

But then the issue was how to power them up given that the carrier has to swing. Yes, I could have mounted them on the bumper over the number plate, but with the carrier open, they were very exposed and I figured I'd knock them off in a heartbeat. I tried the curly flex off a phone charger but that lasted 10 seconds. I decided to give it a rest and put a new liner in the MIG. It had been getting a bit scratchy. Sorted.

Now if only I could find something to run the cable in that was flexible, strong and could be secured at either end. Hmm, ideas idea. Nope not a clue. :think: :think:

HANG ON

MIG liner???? :idea: :idea:

Yep, made a little clamp to take one end, threaded the wire through the middle

P1000811.jpg

And put a clamp at the other end too

P1000813.jpg

And there we have an indestructible flexible conduit.

Did a bit more fettling on the latch mechanism, which works absolutely brilliantly by the way. Very easy, very secure. (Patent pending :whistle: )

P1000812.jpg

And voilà, Bob's yer Mother's cousin as they say.

P1000814.jpg

P1000815.jpg

Right, next job.

Chris

Thanks mate, I'm thinking of knocking them out. Bumper and winch mount with carrier. £55.49. Whaddya reckon? Too steep?

Chris

I think ill order 100 now and i want sole rights to sell around the globe. Ill draw contract up in a min. Have you kept a tally on hours spent on it :think:

Are you happy with it, anything you would have done different if you did it again? Im looking forward to see how tight the carrier is.

Karl

Tight; It's as tight as a ... Erm let's not go there. It's tight. OK leave it at that.

Right I shall get cracking in fact, I'll knock 10% off for that order Mate. Good doing business with you. That includes fitting by the way, anywhere in the World. You see making these things at home is so cheap. There's hardly any effort goes into them. Actually I shouldn't charge you at all really. All in there's probably only about £3 of materials and maybe an hour - perhaps an hour and a half in making one.

Come up to Holymoorside tomorrow for a look. I'll pay your diesel, no worries. :thumbup:

Chris

Attachments

• P1000817.JPG
    P1000817.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 262
top marks Chris, that looks fantastic! :clap: :thumbup:

looking forward to seeing it in the flesh. :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I know how much time is involved in making stuff mate always swallows the hours up. Does look good.

What time are you there from and what time do you leave? Im at the yard first thing but may have a shoot over for a look but carnt play as i havnt got anything to knock about at the min.

karl

I was joking, but if you are coming over, text me. I won't be going first thing as I want to whip my alternator off. So probably around Midday. The other Chris is going up in his buggy.

If you do come, stick me a side light in please :whistle:

Chris

Cheers Carl. This one actually went pretty much according to the plans. Plans - well I say plans, I mean I didn't hit too many 'Oh fook' moments in the entirely bespoke build.

Some may call that blind luck. I wouldn't argue. Much. Actually at all. :lol:

Chris

Only joking? and I was just going to put an order in and say put the kettle on. :lol:

Chris said:
Tight; It's as tight as a ... Erm let's not go there. It's tight. OK leave it at that.

Right I shall get cracking in fact, I'll knock 10% off for that order Mate. Good doing business with you. That includes fitting by the way, anywhere in the World. You see making these things at home is so cheap. There's hardly any effort goes into them. Actually I shouldn't charge you at all really. All in there's probably only about £3 of materials and maybe an hour - perhaps an hour and a half in making one.

Come up to Holymoorside tomorrow for a look. I'll pay your diesel, no worries. :thumbup:

Chris

download/file.php?id=89

so when are you putting in the low level bumper lights so the rear wheel doesnt obscure any lights :whistle:

Il get my coat :lol:

looking really good Chris :thumbup:

Joe

Sorry Joe, lost me. What obscured lights? Do you really think I would build something like this and obscure any lights?

Number plate clear - check. Illuminated - check
Brake lights - check
Side lights - check
Indicators - check
Fog lamp - only one required - check

What am I missing?

Chris

Sorry Chris i was just pulling your leg as the uk colorados had to have low level lights because of the spare wheel.

Joe

Ahh you had me worried there mate! Of course I did a rear bumper for a Colorado if you remember and that had low lights in there. So much easier in an 80! No fancy plastic.

Had to work out the dimensions so that I can get the 37's on there without blocking the lights.

Chris

That's an awesome build Chris :thumbup: :clap: - you're just wasted in your day job! ;)

Thanks buddy, but I am significantly better at my day job than I am at this stuff. Trust me.

Chris

Actually, in truth I am not sure what to do about the OS fog light. It's not fully obscured with the 33" tyre on, but just about. With the bigger tyre on, it will be. Now I can go for an MOT with no tyre on and nothing is covered at all. But as you only need one fog light, what do I do if I leave the tyre on? If it's there but not working, it will fail. If it's there but obscured, I am guessing it will fail. If I blank it off - I am guessing it will be ok?

Might pop into my local MOT place and ask them. Stupid really. How often do I use the fog light on this truck?

Chris

Back