Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series rear bearing adjustment tool

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
We have been discussing this SST recently and with my rear bearings and seals beckoning, I figured I'd do a proper job as with the rest of the build. No short-cuts this time. I am sure I could buy one, from the States yadda yadda. But then I wouldn't be able to post this, would I.

This is the little blighter that needs torquing in a rather bizarre ritual.
P1010505.JPG

First turned a piece of stainless to size and threaded it.
P1010506.JPG

Found a piece of thick plate which was then threaded to take the bar.
P1010507.JPG

I then reversed it in the lathe and turned the plate down into the main section for the SST

P1010509.JPG

Added some knurling so that the locking ring could be done up hand tight

P1010510.JPG

Then I had to make the three pins

P1010511.JPG

I made those from hex bar too so that could be screwed in easily. 8mm on the plain end and threaded 8 x 1 on the other. BTW the PCD was 57mm

P1010516.JPG

Next I cut down the centre spigot where drive from the torque wrench would be added. And added a little detail.

P1010514.JPG

Following that I needed to drill out the three holes and thread them to accept the pins.

Ahh digital read outs, eh?

P1010515.JPG

And then just a bit of twiddling and finishing and hey presto, a bearing tool. In a matter of mere hours.

P1010517.JPG

Does it fit? Will it work? Oh you doubters you ...

P1010518.JPG

P1010519.JPG

I made up something similar a couple of years ago but it was much cruder and decidedly less professional looking. 3 dowels made from the unthreaded portions of some old coach bolts a had lying around and welded to a piece of steel plate and an old socket welded on the back. Only decided I needed one after starting the job, mistakenly thinking I could improvise somehow and manage without one! Come to think of it, that's the last time I saw it. Must be in the garage somewhere.

Bloody marvellous, round of applause for that man. You have some talent there Chris

Thank you Warren. I appreciate that. But whilst I am getting better at this stuff, I still don't seem to be able to get that factory finish look. Other people make stuff (look at some of Ben's work) and they look like something from an ARB catalogue. I guess in the main that's what happens when you make things out of scrap. It's very functional and an accurate piece of work, but just lacks that final polish.

Still, another tool to add to the box. Incidentally, I measured the stub threads and they are not the same as the fronts. So you couldn't swap the locking ring for 54mm nuts and tabs.

Nicely made Chris.
It looks better then the tool I borrowed from my mate at Toyota lol.

Very nice work.

I'd love to be able to do things like that. I normally just bodge bits together with a wielder lol

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That looks awesome Chris, nice work. :clap:

I particularly like the knurling! Nice touch. :icon-biggrin:

Thank you Warren. I appreciate that. But whilst I am getting better at this stuff, I still don't seem to be able to get that factory finish look. Other people make stuff (look at some of Ben's work) and they look like something from an ARB catalogue. I guess in the main that's what happens when you make things out of scrap. It's very functional and an accurate piece of work, but just lacks that final polish.

Still, another tool to add to the box. Incidentally, I measured the stub threads and they are not the same as the fronts. So you couldn't swap the locking ring for 54mm nuts and tabs.

Thanks Chris. :thumbup:

You're being too hard on yourself Chris, that looks no worse than some off the shelf tooling I've seen.

Well it's better than anything from Amtech that's for sure....

More importantly the engineer in me puts functionality above form.

Looking pretty is all well and good, but it's totally pointless if fails the intended task - the Oberon wheel tool for Ducatis is a perfect example of this.

Beautiful work Chris, as usual :clap:

Question.

Unless I'm missing something, which you know I usually am, when used to undo the bearing collar, won't the hex just unscrew from the tool? :think:

I'm afraid to get the reply to this, so I'm hiding for a few posts :lol:

Probably some thread lock and done up real tight will stop that Clive. Very nice Chris. I went for the sticky out bits on mine and cut the profiles to grip them into the end of a 54mm socket I made from aluminium, back when I had a milling machine.

Seems most people just chop a bit out of a large socket
Milling machine you say?

C

Sorry Clive, missed that question
No it won't unscrew. Didn't go to all that trouble only to miss that bit trust me

Seems most people just chop a bit out of a large socket
Milling machine you say?
Better fit if you mill the slots so it can't slip off and I was making sockets anyway. 54mm sockets were much more expensive 10 years ago and not many places to get them so a home made aluminium one was something useful to do with the miller :shifty:

Thanks Justin. Going to give it a spin this weekend. Rear seals and bearings to do. Possibly on both trucks.

Tell us what you find Chris. I might have a look at mine but doubt if there is much wrong?

Yes, I'm curious too. Like Frank I doubt there is anything wrong but looking at the MUD write ups about it,I'm interested.

Back