Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series Rebuild

Declan

Country Flag
ireland
So I have this for about 4-5 years and only getting some motivation to start it now :tearsofjoy:

It's a 12 valve manual, diff locks, disk brake rear axle.

As you can see from the pictures below the body has seen better days, got a small smack on the o/f corner, rust under the rear window and some in the n/r sill. Underneath is rust free.

Everything perishable underneath is going to be replaced, bushes, disks & pads etc

Front axle needs a rebuild so going to remove it then strip, sandblast, repaint it and put it all back together.

Silmilar will be done with the rear axle except for the rebuild.

Here's a few pictures anyway so ye get an idea!
IMG_0148.PNG
IMG_0213.JPG
IMG_0214.JPG
IMG_0215.JPG

What's your target Declan, to be smart or will it be used for pay-and-play use?

Most of your battle-scars are fairly superficial by the look of it, the hardest part being the painting after repairs (depending on the quality of the finish you want) and the cost of trim parts, unless you can get them from a salvage yard.

@karl (here) or Garry @80Breaker will likely be of assistance for salvaged parts.

The front axle rebuild will be the most expensive part, depending on what you have to replace, CVs and shafts (if needed) can set you back a bit, always go for genuine Mr. T oil seals. Assuming the front diff is OK, the cost is limited though. The swivel bearings in the knuckles are not unreasonably priced.

What's your target Declan, to be smart or will it be used for pay-and-play use?

Most of your battle-scars are fairly superficial by the look of it, the hardest part being the painting after repairs (depending on the quality of the finish you want) and the cost of trim parts, unless you can get them from a salvage yard.

@karl (here) or Garry @80Breaker will likely be of assistance for salvaged parts.

The front axle rebuild will be the most expensive part, depending on what you have to replace, CVs and shafts (if needed) can set you back a bit, always go for genuine Mr. T oil seals. Assuming the front diff is OK, the cost is limited though. The swivel bearings in the knuckles are not unreasonably priced.

It'll hardly ever be off road so just going keep the suspension standard, might look into a poly bush kit though. Have a set of bf Goodrich all terrains ordered along with all seals for front hubs and cv joints. Bearings are good as far as I can see but i might end up ordering them later..

Yeah the body work will set me back a nice chuck but that's a long way away yet! I'll definitely look into getting second hand panels etc

Sounds like a worth while exciting new project Declan. Wishing you many hours of enjoyable labour & pints of beer :obscene-drinkingdr:

It'll hardly ever be off road so just going keep the suspension standard, might look into a poly bush kit though. Have a set of bf Goodrich all terrains ordered along with all seals for front hubs and cv joints. Bearings are good as far as I can see but i might end up ordering them later..

Yeah the body work will set me back a nice chuck but that's a long way away yet! I'll definitely look into getting second hand panels etc
gary 80 does reconditioned body panels, professionally restored and primed ready to paint. good as new really.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks like you'll have a bit of work to get it like your fathers!!

Best of luck.

I've a couple of 80s they're a great machine!!

So this is how it's sitting at the moment, hate working on the ground but can't have the lift help up for a few weeks or months :disrelieved:
IMG_0529.JPG
IMG_0530.JPG

IMG_0528.JPG

Rear axle is out and just had a quick go over it with a wire brush
IMG_0524.JPG
IMG_0525.JPG
IMG_0526.JPG

It should clean up well but will take forever to sand and grind everything, so thinking of investing in a cheap sandblaster?? Anyone ever use or buy one?

Front axle is just about out and should be by the weekend. Disconnecting the abs wires was nearly the hardest part :tearsofjoy:

So got the front axle out today and had my first two broken bolts! 4 new shocks are in order now after breaking this one :coldsweat:
IMG_0548.JPG
IMG_0552.JPG
IMG_0553.JPG
IMG_0556.JPG
IMG_0557.JPG

Broke another bolt on the bottom of the hub but luckily it drilled out handy enough and I had a spare hub to get another bolt from! King pin bearings are pretty bad so going to get 4 new ones along with new wheel bearings while I'm at it.

Good going Declan. It'll be worth your while checking that your lockers are working while you have the axles off. Much easier to work on while they're accessible.

Good going Declan. It'll be worth your while checking that your lockers are working while you have the axles off. Much easier to work on while they're accessible.

Yeah I'll be doing that at some stage, may read up about them cause I've no idea how they operate!

So a long needed update on this!

Haven’t been working on it much due to work but I’ve been collecting a few new parts for it,
So far I have everything rebuild the front axle, seals, bearings, disk & pads, new callipers etc
Ordered all new Whiteline bushes from roughtrax that arrived yesterday along with new track rod ends
089727D6-0480-4E62-BDB2-8C22B49A5EBD.jpeg
CA79923B-25B5-4BD8-8D5C-69FB81EC403B.png
6414CA37-9B82-4133-99BD-8B66B774DBBB.png

Not sure how I missed this thread first time around Go Declan. Good (and very familiar) work. That's a really good looking back axle actually.

So I got the new swivel bearings in, along with the new inner axle seals, gaskets, cv joints etc.
The diff was put back in too, checked over the diff locker as well and it seemed fine.
32DD0ABA-F4DE-4F27-97B5-0158FB3B3FBF.jpeg
A27991DF-722B-4A56-AD6F-752257A639C5.jpeg
8FE38F37-0733-4A2F-BFBC-27DBF705449B.jpeg
E93ED510-6007-4A72-AC5A-12BC6672D3AE.jpeg
782E620C-431A-4D81-9FDF-B506C35B174D.jpeg

Have the new wheel bearings in as well,
What way do ye lads set them up? Seen a few different ways to do it, some say 15pounds for the inner and 45pounds for the outer and just leave it at that?

]138692[/ATTACH]

5B4ABEA2-381A-4FA4-A83A-52116DC67F52.jpeg

Last edited:
Back