Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Absolutely Gutted In Morocco

Glad you're safe and well (finger nail aside) Byron. I had a similar experience after I changed my starter solenoid contacts and after a while the cover screws fell out causing the spring to become a heater across the contacts. Fortunately I had a fire extinguisher and could get the bonnet open. I think I disconnected both batteries in around 40 seconds such was my focus.

Last edited:
Oh noooo.....

Just spotted this Byron. So, so sorry for your loss - not only of Mr T but all the stuff you couldn't get out.... heartbreaking, even though you've had some interesting events before (cue thoughts of a flying mast ).

Hope you recover physically and emotionally soon.... maybe a trip to Tokai will help?

You're in my thoughts.... take care, and if I can help in any way please let me know.

Byron - so sorry to read of the disaster. BUT at least everyone walked away from it.

Expensive, mentally f%ked off, why me, what happened, etc etc all thoughts in my mind when I rolled my truck in Libya so I truly understand how you feel.

However - take the time to ponder, you walked away, lost a few items no doubt some things that were personal. Give it a few months and start the plan to build another.

Fair play to you Byron you seem well set to tough it out so i'm sure you understand "its only metal" because we can't turn back the clock . Onwards and upwards the next one will be better , its a glitch in the grand scheme of things your home still stands proud and strong and i'm sure it contains things of infinitely more value than that which is lost .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Glad nobody hurt and all safe, as one guy said one day a campfire tale but you do feel connected and proud of preparing for an expedition so feel for you Byron. Appreciate the detail of events and the help from fellow travellers, but you are alive today. A reminder to us all about safety.

I've been having thoughts on this and by what you've described, Byron, I'm pretty certain this was some sort of electrical fault that started this. You said it started behind the headlight, which is where a battery lives. That your efforts couldn't put it out suggest a battery feeding into a fault. This could have been a battery gone bad I suppose, I guess we will never know. It would be interesting to find out what was behind there and the possible cause. Mainly to help us avoid a similar situation. PM me if you prefer but only if and when you are comfortable, and apologies if this is too much too soon. It's just my troubleshooting nature if you like.

I really felt for you trying to get that bonnet open. That proved the pivotal point I think.

Time heals. You'll have another Cruiser. It will be great. Truth is, this is such a rarity.
Best wishes
Rich

If i remember correctly Rich there's some sort of relay / change over gizmo under the drivers side battery tray, i have heard of melting before, sure it's happened to a couple of people on here but could have been that " other " forum.

If i remember correctly Rich there's some sort of relay / change over gizmo under the drivers side battery tray, i have heard of melting before, sure it's happened to a couple of people on here but could have been that " other " forum.
Yes I've heard this too, it's the intake air preheater relay I believe? Not sure what engine Byron's truck had, that system is on the 24 valve iirc but not on the 12 valve. I don't know any more than that. It's a possibility I suppose if it were fitted.

In that case it looks like something else. I'm gonna leave this for now in case it's a bit too soon for Byron but maybe one day it will all drop into place.

I have just read this thread and wish thank you all for your your kind messages of support.

It is understandable that you are keen to know what the hell happened. My iPad was recording our track the whole time so I have accurate timings.

First the base facts. I was travelling in my 'overland' cruiser which is a 1991 80 series that I have spent several years preparing for a trip to Cape Town.

For some reason the car was a real character and got christened 'Mr T' after the big guy in the 'A Team' (ancient TV series).

We had been driving for hours across hot desert, both on piste and totally off road, so at around 17:45 we decided to take a short break at a 'signpost' (actually a great concrete block) around 60km south of the nearest town (Es aram).

It was a very hot dry day (around 40C) with a strong and bone dry breeze. I left my engine running and popped the bonnet to check all was well. As 'car' people do we all clustered around looking at the engine bay. I was mainly interested in ensuring the batteries were still properly secured as I had experienced problems during the 2015 Morocco trip and had made changes to the battery restraints. The engine was running at a normal temperature, Batteries were secure and there was no sign of any problems at all.

I closed the bonnet and we set off at 18:01. I was driving with the windows open and at 18:07 I smelt burning rubber and noticed a wisp of smoke from the bonnet on the drivers side. Immediately I called for help on the CB, stopped the car, shut off the engine, pulled the bonnet release catch, grabbed my fire extinguisher and ran outside.

There was a small amount of smoke issuing from around the rear of the DS side light with a few very small flames. I blasted the area with the extinguisher (CO2 with powder). The flames and smoke disappeared so I went to fully open the bonnet to finish the job - no joy. Rushed back and pulled the bonnet release again but there was no resistance at all. By this time Mark, George and Mike had come running with extinguishers.

I grabbed my tools from the car and we tried to smash open the bonnet. I tore off the front grill in a desperate attempt to get at the bonnet release (probably where I lost my thumbnail). The fire had started up again as the strong breeze was blowing directly on the front of the car and the fire was growing fast. It began to dawn on me that I was going to lose the car.

Mike yelled at me to grab my documents so I began emptying the car while the lads continued to try and get the bonnet open. Almost everything is stored in boxes so the car was empty in less than a minute (at least that is what I thought) and so I crawled underneath with the idea to crush the fuel feed line - I quickly realised that was an insane idea and abandoned the attempt.

Soon we had exhausted all four fire extinguishers and a lot of water trying to keep the fire subdued and the bonnet cool while we attempted to force it open and we were forced to admit defeat as the fire grew to frightening proportions. I jumped in the back to remove the gas cylinder and we retreated about 50 metres off carrying the boxes with us.

It was then that I realised some of the stuff I had chucked out of the car was being destroyed by the radiant heat of the fire even though it was 5 metres upwind! This was small (expensive) stuff that we had not noticed on the ground in our haste to get away from the fire. It was impossible to save this kit as the radiant heat was now so intense we could not approach. My wooden chopping board 5 metres upwind was reduced to charcoal even though it was not touched by the fire at all.

The whole period from the first whiff of smoke to raging inferno was 9 minutes. Absolutely terrifying.

I will post re our thoughts on the events and what action we took next tomorrow.

For now it is suffice to say that as we had saved all of my water, food, wine, gin and most of the beer we cracked open bottles and cans to hold a wake for Mr T - a brilliant car.
Dear Bryan, we are very happy you escaped physical harm. 9 minutes of craziness. Then all the troubled rethinking about what you could have done otherwise. Fortunately time will bring rest to all these thoughts.
Wonderful to hear the fast reactions of the team and equally to read the supportive reactions on this forum. Empathy is the way to go. Glad to see that such a community exists. Let me know when you will be in France. You will be welcome to enjoy some good wine and stinking but extremely good tasting cheese to chase away the residues of burning rubber.

Thinking retrospectively when I used to prepare racing cars we used to have an externally accessed battery master switch by order. A martial, or someone else, could turn the battery off in the event of fire risk from battery. On the 80 you could put one,two in a hole,door in the grill?

Hi Byron, sorry for your loss.
all these years of TLC gone in 9 minutes. Heartbreaking!

Thinking retrospectively when I used to prepare racing cars we used to have an externally accessed battery master switch by order. A martial, or someone else, could turn the battery off in the event of fire risk from battery. On the 80 you could put one,two in a hole,door in the grill?

something like this :
https://www.autosportcompany.nl/fia-hoofdstroom-kit-elektronisch.html

I've been thinking on the same lines, but I guess on an 80 I'd need 2, one for each battery.

I'm not so keen on the "relay" type, because a fire may soon burn out the small wires that operate it, or its circuitry, unless I'm mistaken.

I'd prefer the idea of a mechanical big knob "hit-to-kill" switch, if anyone makes such a thing, mounted in a place as close to the batteries as possible, yet accessible without having to open the bonnet.

I'm wanting the same to install in the winch main power supply circuit, in case the solenoids stick in the closed position.

That's a tough time you've had there Byron, just glad you are ok.

It surprises me there aren't more stories like this tbh, I will def be carrying extra dry powder extinguishers from now on, decent ones at that.

Back