Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

active suspension fj 100

younas

hi guys ive got 99 model amazon v8 petrol, im having problems with active suspension which goes on highest setting and switch does not respond, after leaving vehicle switched off for a while it seems fine but no response from switch. this problem has arison recently. help! :|

Sounds like one of your height sensors is faulty.
There is one on the rear axle and one for each wheel up front.

Typical behavior is that the ahc adjusts to max or min height, or does not respond. Sometimes it will be ok again after switching ignition off and then start again.

Solution is to measure the sensors, and/or take them off (one at the time), open up and check inside for corrosion. The rear sensor has the harshest "climate". Then clean out, ensure good connection, reassemble with a better seal. Alternatively change for new sensor; but they are not cheap, and a new one does not necessarily last longer than a repaired one.

Do a search here and on ih8mud for more info.

Thought I'd add a bit on AHC sensor maintenance, so here goes:

It is fairly easy to maintain the AHC sensor, particularly the rear one as it is easy to remove. When you have the sensor in your hand, with the lid off, you can see how simple it is. It consists of a body with a shaft through it, and a 3-pin connector at the back of the body. At the outer end of the shaft there is an arm which transfers the suspension movement. The inside end of the shaft has a little arm or rotor with two brass sliders/springs which provide the connection to the carbon resistance traces, which are on the inside of the lid of the sensor.
Then the important part: The connection between the 3-pin connector at the back, and the carbon traces on the lid, is provided by three little brass coil springs, which are just squeezed between the connector at the back, and the lid at the front. These springs corrode. Pull them out of their little holes and clean both the bottom of the holes (connects to the 3-pin connector) and the springs. You might need some contact cleaner and some emery paper.
The problem with the sensor is that the lid, with it's O-ring, doesn't seal well. And it looks like the lid bends slightly. So you have to seal it better. I haven't found the right method yet, tried with vaseline and with silicone. It would possibly be good to put an aluminium plate over the lid, to support it so that it doesn't bend, and then use longer screws.

Pictures:
1342797403_47d1fa7755.jpg

This is the sensor on it's bracket, without the lid, in a vice. The part between the jaws has the hole where the cable clip is attached. The part pointing straight up is where the bracket is fastened to the car body with two small bolts. At the bottom of the photo you see the arm which is connected to the leading arm of the rear suspension via a ball-joint.

1342796995_d7100c831c.jpg

Pic #2 shows the "rotor" with it's two sliding springs, and the three holes for the springs. at the left side, towards the connector, next to the three holes, you see a bit of "pollution" in the o-ring groove, where moisture has made it's way in. It looks like the pressure of the three spings is to much for the lid, and makes it bend. You can also see traces of corrosion at the bottom of two of the holes.

1343686818_6b6af93824.jpg

This pic shows the lid with the carbon-traces, and the O-ring. And the three springs, two of them a bit corroded at one end. In this pic I have filled the sensor with contact cleaner.

To locate the rear sensor, you just look in above the front part of the rear left wheel, when the car is lifted to High. Or crawl under the car (unless you have access to a lift or a pit). I found it easiest to crawl under in front of the left rear wheel. Removing the wheel could make it easier, although I never did. It's easy to see which part it is that senses the suspension travel. Undo the linkage (one little nut, 10mm spanner); the electric plug and detach the cable from the bracket; and remove the two bolts holding the bracket to the body. Voila, the sensor is yours.

thanks for all your help, we have found the faulty sensor which is OSF and not cheap at all from dealers! we will try to repair as suggested and failing that is anyone aware of any place that sells them cheaper or even landcruiser breaker anywhere?

What's the outcome on this one? Repaired?
Which sensor was it?
And what is OSF????

i had to have vehicle repaired from dealers as no option available. i opened up the old active height sensor and all springs inside were brocken and beyond repair, osf is driver side front. it is working as it should enjoying driving again esp in all this snow in uk!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
uHu

Thanks for this great article on maintaining the active suspension on a FJ 100. Did you finally find a workaround on keeping the Height Sensors springs and contacts from turning into rust? It does seem that this represents the weakest link of the FJ100 Amazon as well as one of the most expensive to fix if replaced with new. The other thing is that I'm really surprised about is that no one has yet as managed to source a UK supplier of those coiled brass springs.

John

The Dark Dude.

When I opened mine up they were good as new so although they obviously can go bad it's not universal.

Jon Wildsmith said:
When I opened mine up they were good as new so although they obviously can go bad it's not universal.

Jon

The question remains, how ARE YOU going to keep them that way?

John

The Dark Dude

As long as the sensors keep the weather out, they do not need any maintenance.
They will in the end wear out tho', when the carbon trace is worn out where the moving contact spring touches it. I've seen one example of that.

If the seal is not good they will not last long. So any PM will be to check that they are sealed well, or just wait for a sign of malfunction and repair, if poss.

Dark Dude said:
The question remains, how ARE YOU going to keep them that way?
that's easy, take them off and leave them somewhere safe where the elements can't get at them :lol: (I removed my AHC :) )

Am I a muppet? Life must be sweet riding on springs and shockers. The upgrades you've made on your FJ100 have been SO BIG, that you could see them from outer space unless you happen to be blind and living in Tottenham. Hopefully by the end of the week I should be the proud owner of a Amazon. Then we will talk.

John

:cool: :cool: :cool:

The Muppet

uHu

No problems! If my AHC Height Sensors goes up the swanny, I know where I can lay my hands on a pair of nearly new........JON!

John

The Dark Dude

Back