Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Advice for 100 series garage repair.

Simon Scott

Country Flag
united_states
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2000 landcruiser with 200,000 on it. Its in incredibly good shape for the year and overall I'm happy with my purchase.

Since owning it, I have had to replace the rear pads, rotors and starter motor and have all the fluids redone.

Prior to the starter motor fix at Findley Toyota in Flagstaff ($900+) - wow - the AC which was blowing nice and cold is now blowing warm. The service manager there is not convinced it is their fault or responsibility to fix it.

As a non-mechanical person, I don't know what to think. Does anyone here have insight as to the event? Could it be purely a coincidence? Or, could it be that the replacement of the starter motor could have affected the AC?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Simon

Hi Simon, there is no direct link between the AC and a starter motor replacement. If I were you I would have a reliable refrigeration engineer check the system and top up the gas. It may be that the previous owner had topped it up to sell and that refrigerant has now leaked out.

There are some simple checks you can do first. Identify the AC pipework from the compressor, there's a bigger pipe running to a port in the bulkhead, then from there a smaller one running to the front, through a radiator type matrix (the condenser) then back to the compressor. Check that there is no damage or corrosion accompanied by an oily patch on any of the pipes. Check also at the joins for corrosion and dusty oily patches, these will be historic, not recent. Also look where the shaft goes into the compressor behind the pulley/magnetic clutch assembly for oil. This will give you some idea as to whether there's been any damage or historic leaks.

Thank you both for your answers. I'll follow your advise. You know I am a displaced Brit and I did not realize that this board was in the UK ! Go figure.

We've got members all over, Simon, it's just that Mud may be more useful being US based for recommendations of garages etc. more local to you.

Back