Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Advice required on better grip in snow - keep getting stuck!

Dont be so suspicious Roger!

If it still has the same tyres on from when you bought it last year, that is your problem. They were quite worn then, and they wont have grown tread since....

A decent AT tread will do you fine, not sure what you have at the moment, Grand Treks possibly?

Easy on the right foot in snow.

Pete

Hi all,

Thanks so much for all your advice on the tyres/grip issue in January. Haven't been able to get back on here until now (and yes Roger it was a genuine enquiry!!!!:hand:).

OK so I dropped the tyre pressure and locked the hubs in the centre of the front wheels - problem solved immediately. I haven't unlocked the hubs yet as we've had snow continuously since January. I plan to unlock the hubs as soon as this snow buggers off completely (I believe that's the right thing to do so as to reduce wear on the diff and improve MPG).

The tyres I have on have excellent grip/tread although may well not be the ideal 'snow-tyre'. I appear to have a really good, new Dunlop tyre as a spare on the back and then four 'Radial Maxxis 751' tyres running on the vehicle. I've never heard of them so not sure whether they are crap.

Anyway, here's the beastie in the snow ...

beastie.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Maxxis are pretty good tyres so as long as you've git decent trad depth you should be ok with them. Iirc that version looks a lot like a BFG AT ... And mine are fine in the snow. Not as good as the Cooper STTs were though ...

Hi all,

Thanks so much for all your advice on the tyres/grip issue in January. Haven't been able to get back on here until now (and yes Roger it was a genuine enquiry!!!!:hand:).

OK so I dropped the tyre pressure and locked the hubs in the centre of the front wheels - problem solved immediately. I haven't unlocked the hubs yet as we've had snow continuously since January. I plan to unlock the hubs as soon as this snow buggers off completely (I believe that's the right thing to do so as to reduce wear on the diff and improve MPG).

The tyres I have on have excellent grip/tread although may well not be the ideal 'snow-tyre'. I appear to have a really good, new Dunlop tyre as a spare on the back and then four 'Radial Maxxis 751' tyres running on the vehicle. I've never heard of them so not sure whether they are crap.

Anyway, here's the beastie in the snow ...

View attachment 6207

I made the assumption that you may not have been genuine because you didn't come back with the answers to the various questions that people had asked.

We have had in the past certain people who have asked spurious questions just to waste our time and fuel their desire to be noticed.

I am glad that you have solved the problem and can now enjoy the benefits of a 4x4 in it's element. The tyres you have fitted are an AT type (All Terrain), one up from an AP ( All Purpose) and one down from an MT (Mud Terrain). For snow and ice, the AT will be the best choice but lowering your pressures may not be necessary. The tread pattern on an AT tyre picks up snow and retains it. The snow trapped in the tyre grooves can then grip the snow on the road. If you lower pressures, the tyres flex more as they rotate and eject the snow instead of retaining it.

Roger

Angel,

I know that it's tempting, when there's snow about, to "play" by finding an (empty) car park just to see what happens when you do certain things. Personally, I think it's a good idea to practice, even doing the wrong thing purposely to learn what to do to correct the error.

Us boys especially, like to "gun it" just to feel the wheels spinning. I don't know why, we just do. You'll notice that after doing that, the snow retained in the treads gets polished and the bond or grip that Roger has described, is much reduced.

This is why it's good advice to drive gently in snow conditions. Gently doesn't mean painfully slowly, it just means no jerks or sudden movements (snachy clutch releases, hard acceleration, swervy steering and the like) that could brake the grip that's so essential to going along in the direction you want to go, and of course stopping again the red side of the traffic light instead of buried in the side of the green-light car that unfortunately acted as you're breaking system!

Gentle driving is easier in an automatic, but with care it can be achieved in a manual, and it improves your driving skills no end. Passengers like it too, they end up at their destination feeling relaxed, instead of disheveled and feeling like they've just been rattled around in a tin can.

Lovely looking 70 BTW (there really is something about black that's so irresistible!)

I always have to remind Helen when it snows to drive in the highest gear possible all the time and start changing down gears so she arrives at lights and stop signs etc in first gear without even using her brakes .It's a bit extreme and no help at all if you drive an auto but Helen get very nervous about driving in snow and touch wood this method has worked for her and not once has she had even a potential mishap despite driving a very long front wheel drive car .

On snow too!

GG AT2s, Gra will vouch for them.

Remember, the camera never lies...

Excellent grip!

snow business 007.jpg

Fitted these on the rear when the snow arrived, when in L4, 2nd gear and low rpm. Up here in the sticks of wales the 70 has taken on some fair drifts. The trick I have found is when on a un broken track to go slow - the grip is there! To try as soon as traction is lost pull back and have another go. after upto 5 go's it will get through. By going balls out fast results in a 2hr dig out!

It has failed also, when the drifts are above the fence posts and taking up 30m of road!
All fun tho!:icon-biggrin:

I can't remember the exact number but the Eskimos reckon there are lots of different types of snow. In the UK it's usually a little wet, great for making snowballs ( the drier stuff in Norway is crap for this) and also good for compressing with a mud tyre and driving through it, much like a cog and rack railway. If you can keep off the excess power it works well.

Roger

It's 50 I believe Roger, but in truth I think that they have 50 words for snow, not that there are actually 50 different types of snow. In reality there are only two types. White and yellow.

One you can eat and one ........

C

View attachment 6242

Fitted these on the rear when the snow arrived, when in L4, 2nd gear and low rpm. Up here in the sticks of wales the 70 has taken on some fair drifts. The trick I have found is when on a un broken track to go slow - the grip is there! To try as soon as traction is lost pull back and have another go. after upto 5 go's it will get through. By going balls out fast results in a 2hr dig out!

It has failed also, when the drifts are above the fence posts and taking up 30m of road!
All fun tho!:icon-biggrin:

Simex Trekker Muds, I presume. What size are they? 285/80/15's?

Simex Trekker Muds, I presume. What size are they? 285/80/15's?

Yes man! They're 290/80/15's close! Very keen eye there Clive! Great on snow/mud/rock, but on the highway they like to go in a straight line! More like those twin wheeled barrows you find in stable yards! Lol :)

Back