Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ATFfluid change.

wobbly

Garage
Time to change the gearbox oil.

Ive got Comma mineral ATF - I was going to go for semi-synthetic but decided on mineral as I reckon that would have been used originally.

I know I can drain off a small amount from the drain plug, but whats the best way to drain it completely?

Ive read about disconnecting a line from the rad., and pumping it into a container by turning over the ignition, but is this a safe thing to do, dont want to damage the gearbox giblets.

What about using a vacuum bottle to suck it up the dipstick tube - bit too narrow maybe?

Cheers

Pete

You can suck it out of the dipstick tube but you will only get slighty more than half out.

The quickest (and cheapest) way to replace it entirely, is to use the ATF pump to push it out. When I did it I pumped out 2l into a measured container, then topped up with 2l of fresh ATF, before repeating - so that the box never ran dry. You'll need to do this 7 or 8 times, until the stuff coming out looks as clean as the stuff going in.

You can't get all of it 'out' no matter what you do. The torque converter is half filled at rest and the only way to get that out is to dismantle the entire car. The service interval and process is there for a reason. Drain what comes out and refill. That's all you need to do. You can get a bit more out if you drain and then run the engine for a moment, but seriously, you don't need to. Leave it parked overnight and then drain it. Measure what comes out, put the same back in. Trust me, it's not going to drive like a Masseratti just because you got an extra litre out. Save your time. Refreshing the fluid is what you are doing and all that needs to be done.

I refreshed mine a couple of weeks ago. I'd read in numerous places that I'd only get 2 litres out through the drain plug but was surprised to find 5 litres came out. I've no idea why.

When I did my Surf everyone said you would only get a couple out and I got nearly 5 out !

Ill be doing it the way Chris said when it comes to it !

Whats the genearally accepted way to check the level though as ill need to know that once I fet the ATF cooler !

Thanks.

I will drop what comes out of the sump, check its not got water in it, and refill same amount.

Its not a difficult job as access is good due to the lift.

Cheers

Pete

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would imagine draining the fluid after a nice hot run would maybe improve how much you get out as the fluid would not have settled so much in the torque converter area...

Back