Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bank Holiday Camp Sites

Jacob100

Supporter
Any recommendations for a quiet last-minute spot away from the masses this bank holiday?

A tall order, I know, but for the April one we got lucky and had the grounds of a Georgian pile all to ourselves for a tenner a night.

The North / Midlands / Norfolk / Suffolk. No facilities necessary. Anywhere nice and quiet considered ...

Jacob you could give Cool camping dot com a try dont know much about them only looked at the site looks low key camping oh and have a nice time wherever you get too

Cheers Steve - and I like how not even a web address will make you reach for the .

You could have a look on here:

https://nearlywildcamping.org

I have not tried it but have heard some good things - I guess it'll depend on where you go tho.

Cool camping used to be good but i've found that these days everyone knows about it so they tend to be busy and expensive, plus the criteria of a 'Cool Camping site' seems to have been lowered over the last few years so its now more 'OK'ish camping'.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You could have a look on here:

https://nearlywildcamping.org

I have not tried it but have heard some good things - I guess it'll depend on where you go tho.

I have come across that one but I just can't bring myself to pay for websites (except this one, of course). Wouldn't mind having a look at it though.

I've had a good run lately with certificated sites, pubs with pitches and even a couple of private gems on Airbnb. Maybe we should start a list/thread on here as a resource.

Last edited:
When i wanted to get away, I would go up to the White Bear Pub In Masham... Home of Theakstons Beer cracking little pub and village ... Couple of basic campsites........ Its all probably a Centre Parcs now... Have fun anyway Mate...

When i wanted to get away, I would go up to the White Bear Pub In Masham... Home of Theakstons Beer cracking little pub and village ... Couple of basic campsites........ Its all probably a Centre Parcs now... Have fun anyway Mate...

Thanks Higgy - on that list now. I’ve always associated Masham with Black Sheep beers. Googled it and came up with this. Interesting.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co...heep-brewery-masham-north-yorkshire-1-4278171

‘Neither brewery owns pubs – actually Theakston’s do have one, the White Bear, cheek-by-jowl to the Black Sheep site – so on many bars across North Yorkshire, the rival products compete head-to-head. “Masham folk tend to drink either Theakston Best or Black Sheep Bitter,” one local tells me. The stronger beers – Old Peculier and Riggwelter – are “mostly for the tourists.”’

Thanks Higgy - on that list now. I’ve always associated Masham with Black Sheep beers. Googled it and came up with this. Interesting.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co...heep-brewery-masham-north-yorkshire-1-4278171

‘Neither brewery owns pubs – actually Theakston’s do have one, the White Bear, cheek-by-jowl to the Black Sheep site – so on many bars across North Yorkshire, the rival products compete head-to-head. “Masham folk tend to drink either Theakston Best or Black Sheep Bitter,” one local tells me. The stronger beers – Old Peculier and Riggwelter – are “mostly for the tourists.”’
I first went there in the late 70s .. I would go with my brother in law in his old ERF. to deliver the Malt... we would hand ball it off (Hessian sacks)..... Then have a pint of 'Grunt futtocks' Old Deridgerble'. Or what ever it was called.... For 'me' Pay..

Once again the forum delivered.

7A4F9B09-B136-4FB7-8AEF-4CEE408F5C97.jpeg

Thanks Mike (@chapel gate) for spectacular views, hospitality and a drive in the Unimog.

Jacob did your eriba shrink when you washed it

That’s how big the field is. Splendid isolation.

Please refer to original post. Suspect it is going to be mayhem this weekend. Ideas welcome.

Last edited:
We've struggled to get somewhere. Eventually we got a site in the Manifold Valley. Basically a field. They've stuck a toilet block on wheels in there and some bins but that's it! Well that's all we need. It's been very very busy in the last few weeks. We tour the Peak on our bikes ever weekend and there's been camping where we didn't even know there were sites. This weekend there were a lot of people packing up. I suspect the next wave is imminent.

Sounds similar to Torgate Farm between Buxton and Macclesfield where we went last weekend. £5pppn on a friendly working farm with not much more than a bog and some bins. Brilliant site.

Last edited:
Back