Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Because it was too nice a day for everything to be good

whereisgibson

Go out for a little drive today to enjoy the weather and notice there's something amiss with the LC. Shakes on power a little in 3+ gear (not 2nd at same speed), noticed a leak coming from the rear diff where the shaft meets it. No such isses last weekend on the motorway and it's been sat since.

The whole point of buying this vehicle was for reliability. Spent about 2.5k on no-holes-barred servicing too in the one year I've had it to get it to mint mechanical condition. Double Grr!

And I'm meant to be moving house with it next weekend. Not a happy bunny.

Look on the bright side. At least it's not on fire!!!! :angry-extinguishflame: I spent a year on mine getting it to that point. Triple Grrr.

Chris

Sounds like output shaft seal. That's not a big job. Wonder if the judder is a worn spider joint and that in turn has caused the seal to wear? That is only splash fed really and as long as you keep checking it and topping up the diff, it should be ok. Checking the spider joint isn't so easy when the prop is on. Is it hot after driving?

How much driving have you done in it lately - maybe it just needs a decent run to get everything warmed up, loose and working again? As Chris suggested, the rear diff/prop-shaft/vibration story may well be linked and is a fairly straight-forward fix.

whereisgibson said:
Spent about 2.5k on no-holes-barred servicing too in the one year I've had it to get it to mint mechanical condition. Double Grr!
Out of interest is this work you've done or work you've paid for? I wonder whether over zealous but slightly misguided maintenance might not have caused your problem... E.g. over-greasing the slip-yoke on the propshaft.

Hope you sort the problem soon :thumbup:

Thanks guys. The prep work done to it has been from various places, to bring it up to a point where I can look after it myself. I limped it to Oxford and it didn't get any better along the way. Clicking and thunking coming from back there.... we shall see. I will call Frogs Island on Monday and explain to them why a now abandoned LC was dumped in their garden over the weekend :)

With that much done maybe you could be upfor cruiser of the month, then we can see what you have done.
Maybe a list to help with any work you have done and any known errors could show from people with experience.

I had to drop my front prop off to establish the source of some symptoms like your Martin - the front spider on the front prop uj was as stiff as anything in one direction. Driving around in two wheel drive is very entertaining :cool:

Hope you get sorted.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Over greasing the prop is a classic for knocking out diffs or rather the pinion bearing, just a chance, have you checked the axle breather is not blocked,would be a nice easy fix right?

regards

Dave

It was down to 3 very sad UJs, the one in the rear just giving up. Genuine parts put in place, which now brings the running total into the category of "let's not try to keep score anymore" :)

I'm ok to do a cruiser of the month, if people want to see an LC80 with zero modifications!

Back