Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Best tyres for my 80 series

sapper59

Hi guys
My 1995 80 series needs some new boots. Its a choice between BFgoodrich or cooper Discoverer ATR . I do mostly road with a little dirt track and fields. I would be interested in your opinion. Also need to get my wheels referb any good companies around the south.

Hiya K, BFG's every time, bloody expensive though, there's a new place opened in Wycombe that does powder coating, hear good reports & seen one set of spoked wheels off my mates vintage car he's restoring, their very reasonable as well.

Cooper (now owned by Avon) are the top selling 4x4 tyre in the US and very highly rated/respected over there and price wise compare favourably with the BFG's. Cooper would be my choice of the 2.

Without a shadow of a doubt, the BFG AT KO.
Sure they are not cheap.
But cheap buys cheap. :lol:

Seriously, the BFG is the one to go for, as it is as good as a "fit and forget"
Huge miles, and reinforced side walls in the fight against puncture and side wall slicing.

Gra.

If you want an A/T tyre for the 80 then there are no decisions to be made, just go for the the BFGs. I have had mine on the LC since I bought it and they are great apart from in very wet conditions on the road and deep sticky mud (although with 3 difflocks its not usually a problem) . Very durable as well, my rear tyres have taken so much of a beating (mostly on fast sharp gravel tracks on my adventures) I get comments when I get MOTs like "I have never seen a tyre in this condition that is still road legal and holds air"

IMHO, BFG AFT KO are shockingly bad in the wet, they will last forever though, but stopping & steering in a hurry you can not. Personally I'd prefer a bit more wear than lack of stopping ability.

We have them on a Santa Fe & its horrendous on them compared to its old Michelin boots.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Another through is Maxxis tyres, they do not last as long as BFGs or Coopers but cost a lot less. So you could get 2 sets for not much mors that a set of BFGs.

Paul

i'll second mr sideways. BFG at's are hard as hell, slidy in the wet and crap in the mud. They also cost loads. The main thing going for them is that they last for absolutely ages. I wouldn't have another set though. Plenty of other tyres out there with more modern patterns for less. Unless you're looking at doing galactic milages, you might want to look to other manufacturers.

Would the BFG's not start to perish before you could get the max mileage out of them?
Unless you do a decent amount of miles in a short period of time.
How long before the rubber starts cracking - 5/6 years?
10K miles/year would yield 60K over a 6 year period.
Food for thought...

joinerman said:
Hiya K, BFG's every time, bloody expensive though, there's a new place opened in Wycombe that does powder coating, hear good reports & seen one set of spoked wheels off my mates vintage car he's restoring, their very reasonable as well.

Hi Mate
thanks for the advice can you give me a number or address for the powder coating in Wycombe.
Thanks Keith

Yes but not till next week, my mate who used them is on his hols, back on monday, will ask him then.

ajnabi said:
Would the BFG's not start to perish before you could get the max mileage out of them?
Unless you do a decent amount of miles in a short period of time.
How long before the rubber starts cracking - 5/6 years?
10K miles/year would yield 60K over a 6 year period.
Food for thought...

60000 miles out of a set of tyres! I'd be more than happy with that, even at BFG prices.

I went General Grabber AT2 because I couldn't quite stretch to BFG at the time. I am very happy with their on road and off road performance. Although they do suffer slightly in wet mud. Good in snow too. Had them for about 20k miles, at current wear rate they'll easily do 30k, and could quite possibly be legal for up to 40k, but off road performance will be seriously compromised for the last 10k.
A good tyre, but BFG AT next time.

The Bridgestone 694's are highly rated on pradopoint as the best road biased AT tyre.

The BFG would be my choice for offroad, but they are 50/50 road offroad tyre. They can be a bit stiff/bouncy on road. These also reduce your fuel consumption by about 10%.

But I guess from your comments you are 80% on road so you should look at road biased tyres to get the best economy, comfort and braking.

Back