Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brit Pig Build

Ben, just a thought. I might be tempted to run two pieces of angle along the body and mount the plate just off the firebox. Say a couple of mm. Maybe even adjustable. I think that the pig will get so hot that the plate maybe more of an incinerator than a cooking ring. Dunno, but worth thinking about. It's thick plate and once that gets going, it could be too hot. I'd also perhaps mark it up and drill some holes in it to lighten it a bit. It will also help to cool it faster once you put the fire out. If you cook brekkie on it and have to get away by 9 in the morning, that thing will still be glowing like Chernobyl at lunchtime.

Chris

Chris said:
If you cook brekkie on it and have to get away by 9 in the morning, that thing will still be glowing like Chernobyl at lunchtime.
LMFAO!!! I like the idea of Ben glowing green whilst cooking his lunch :lol:

I carved up my gas bottle over the weekend; well, removed the top handle & the bottom foot ring... I wondered if the bottom foot could be used in some manner to provide the support for the hotplate Ben... It might need extending but it could be a neat solution - ultra recycling!!! :lol:

When you cut the the door into the top, did you run the grinder in at a 'flat' angle towards the bottle rather than vertical? I'm assuming that this is how you managed to get it so that the door shuts against a ledge... I bottled (pun pun pun!!!) cutting the door in... Plus I need to find one of those hinged - B&Q maybe??

Keep it up man :thumbup:

thanks guys. :thumbup:

i can see where your coming from Chris. :think:

maybe i should do some tests using a digital thermometer with the pig fired up, before i decide how to mount the hot plate.

the hot plate wont always be used for steaks and burgers etc. some times i might just stick a frying pan/kettle on top. :cool:

Gav i did think of re-using the bits i cut off the cylinder, hence why i havnt put them on the scrap pile yet. :thumbup:

might have another look at it tonight. :dance:

was talking to my mate and he reckons with the other 2 sections of chimney made and fitted the pig will get a lot hotter, as it will have a lot more drawer on it. :think:

Gav ive sent you a PM mate. ;)

PM rec'd - muchos gracias amigo :cool:

Are you going to make your hot plate swingoutable like the Aussie pig seems to be dude or more simpler on/off operation?

If you do leave a gap, swingable outable would be a good idea. Once the pot has boiled, you can move it out to simmer :dance:

Fancy smanchy.

C

hmm not sure really. :think:

on the ozzy one they come with 2 hot plates, so you can have one lift off hot plate on the top of the pig, and one swing out one on the side. :think:

Gav just realised i didnt answer your question. :oops:

yes i cut at a flat angle all the way around, i also used a very thin 1mm inox special cutting disc. i found using a half worn 4.5" disc, allowed me to get a much tighter cut, so it ended up being almost a perfect circle. :dance:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ben said:
yes i cut at a flat angle all the way around, i also used a very thin 1mm inox special cutting disc. i found using a half worn 4.5" disc, allowed me to get a much tighter cut, so it ended up being almost a perfect circle. :dance:
Cheers for the pointer Ben; I have a few worn out discs kicking about... Will see what mess I can make of the affair :p

With regard to the hotplate, the swingoutyness could always be a refinement in the future if you leave the one you have there loose :cool:

This is a very similar looking thing Andrew - if not the same. But seems a little cheaper. I am fancying one myself and the tent that goes with it. But in time for Lincomb???

Hoping that Ben's little piggy will be ready for launch then, although I know it's going to be a struggle to get there wit the exams.

Chris

http://www.belltent.co.uk/index.php?mai ... cts_id=351

Hmmm Bell tents seem to have some nice goodies - and they're just down the road from me. Might take a wander across there next weekend ;)

Sorry for thread-jack!

Oooh are they? I love their tents.

Have fun. Would you check out that stove Andrew if you go. I really want a tent with a stove in it. If that's not much good then it changes my plans.

Back to Ben. Sorry mate.

Chris

hey chris how about a mongolian gher, they come with all the homely comforts and i think there is a co. that imports them.

may be a camel to go with it as well,purely for the authenticity of course.

Home comforts? Ahh but whose home? Mine or a Mongolian Yak herder? Don't fancy sleeping with me granny. :shock:

Chris

Your granny is a Mongolian yak herder???

The mind truly boggles. Strange folk in Yorkshire - bet you've got Hobbits, too?

Sorry :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew, i like that stove you linked to, nice and portable. :clap:

i also dont think its a bad price. :clap: :thumbup:

Chris, those tents with the stoves/wood burners inside do look good. :drool:

i was watching Ray mears the other day and he had one and was camping in the snow. :thumbup:

So with Lincomb fast approaching, i decided i needed to crack on with this project. :)

ive been welding all day at work, making some gates for an industrial estate, so decided while id got the MIG welder set up id finish the welding on the pig. :cool:

P5020001.jpg

first job was to go grind down the shit ARC welds where the chimney and nuts under the pig were welded on, and re-do them with the MIG.

P5020002.jpg

P5020004.jpg

P5020005.jpg

that done i carried on making the other 2 sections of chimney.

P5020006.jpg

P5020007.jpg

i do love how easy it is to get perfect welds every time when using a MIG. :thumbup:

just a shame the gas bottle rent is such a con. :thumbdown:

P5020008.jpg

P5020009.jpg

P5020011.jpg

P5020013.jpg

needed to work out how to mount the hot plate next.

i did really want to weld a strip all the way around the hot plate, and then scribe this to the contour of the pig, but i knew this would be a lot of work, so decided to just use to pieces of flat for now.

P5020015.jpg

P5020016.jpg

im not sure if it will get hot enough, with the edges of the hotplate not being sealed to the pig. :think:

P5020017.jpg

P5020018.jpg

P5020019.jpg

all the legs and chimney sections fit inside perfectly for easier storage and transportation. :cool:

P5020024.jpg

P5020025.jpg

need to test it, to see how hot, the hot plate gets. if it all works ok then its ready for a clean up with a wire brush, and then a coat of black high heat spray paint. :thumbup:

i want to buy a nice expensive cut of steak from a decent butchers to christen it with! :dance:

Looking forward to seeing this man :cool:

On the Oz pig, the body of the pig seems to be cut away around the hot plate or am I not seeing it properly... :oops:

thanks Gav. :thumbup:

hmmm.............that would be easier than scribing the hot plate to the profile of the pig. :think:

decided to test the pig tonight. :animals-pig:

i wanted to see how long it takes to get up to temp. so idecided to light it and see how long it takes to boil some water. :)

P5040002.jpg

P5040003.jpg

P5040007.jpg

P5040008.jpg

P5040014.jpg

it didnt take too long for the kettle to boil, so i decided to try and cook some sausages.

P5040018.jpg

they seemed to be cooking well.

P5040020.jpg

so decided to cook one of my favourite dishes!

sausage and egg muffins. :cool:

P5040021.jpg

very lightly toasted muffins, with a slice of cheese.

P5040022.jpg

P5040023.jpg

perfect! :dance:

P5040024.jpg

P5040025.jpg

P5040026.jpg

P5040043.jpg

now im happy with how its working, i need to give it a good clean, and wire brush it all over ready for painting. :thumbup:

Make your way to the top of the class Ben. Very well done chap, nice job.

:clap: :clap: :clap: Top notch Ben, the end result looks fantastic! I think you've earned you beer and muffins :thumbup:

Back