Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Buying an 80 - deal breakers

Seems like the thicker pinion was just a general update they did on those diffs and it probably applies to the 90 rear because it's the same part in some 120's and maybe now the 150. If the end of the pinion was being twisted off on the front of 100's then it's not hard to imagine it happening on the rear of a 120 seeing how they're still a heavy truck with reasonable power output and a small diff :mrgreen:

I think everyone has covered all you need to know, one thing I like to see on a supposedly well cared for car is matching tyres...well at least across the axle and an even wear pattern, this can expose an expensive bent axle...and yes it does happen. The early 12 valves are real good on torque and economy (if that is on your mind?), my recently purchased 94 manual returned 26.33 mpg on a recent trip to sunny spain so you do not have to wait for a later one. This was with a small leak that occurs at the top of the filler neck for the first couple of miles. This was at speeds between 65 - 75 mph with one stop for fill up and another for munchies.

Price guide........., I paid £2900.00 for mine 1 month ago with three months MOT and 2 months tax. Two owners from new with 180,000 verified miles., it needed a radiator and the front axle swivels overhauled, second gear a bit reluctant to engage when coming down the gears, fuel gauge sender needs replacing, Interior perfect, bodywork real good other than a small patch of rust on an outer sill, underneath solid. Fitted a pair of new rear shocks and sent it in for an MOT and passed no problems. I am a mechanic by trade and have done plenty on the 80's so no labour costs involved in putting it right.

Faults to date, idle speed lowers slightly when pointing uphill seems to be a common issue but I have no concerns about it at the moment, Brilliant cars, take your time and let the knowledgeable people on here guide you, good luck!!

regards

Dave

Dave, now you're talking my language! Can you find me another like that please! :p

Chris

Chris, I only paid £2200 for mine, with a FSH and everything working (even the diff locks!!).

Paul

Aarrgh! That's just taunting me now. Never mind. There ae vehicles around, they are not that rare, but these price differential is vast. I dunno what the guide prices say, but some at £2200 and the same vehicle elsewhere at nearly £9k is just ridiculous and make it hard as a buyer. I need to find something not on e-bay or autotrader where I'm not bidding against the whole of the UK. I need to find on on a local forecourt taken in part ex for a new Fiesta!

Of down South West for a couple of days in the morning. Have to keep my eyes peeled :shock:

C

Battered and Blue said:
Dave, now you're talking my language! Can you find me another like that please! :p

Chris

I forgot to mention the FSH on a printout longer than my lounge carpet ;) FWIW I spent about 6-7 weeks looking through the auto trader and eblag collating prices ect PM me for my Excel spreadsheet of cars in my price range complete with the areas they were for sale ect, I know it's sad but I do like to make informed decisions :geek:

I then flew to the UK and went to look at my shortlist of eight, well for starter's there are a lot of people out there selling 80's who are shall we say................'economical with the truth' if you like you like?

I only road tested two out of the half dozen I actually got to see as the rest were cr*p and I did not even start the engine they were that rough. from my experience I would go for good sound bodywork first and then look at the mechanicals as it is easier and often cheaper to bolt things on than to get a decent paint job at a realistic price.

Whilst it is true the prices for these cars in good non 'off roaded' condition is starting to creep up I would not rush into buying the first one I saw, there are a few good ones left mate.

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Chris

Stick with it mate, gotta create and then hold the image of the one you want in your mind.

I waited months for the right one to appear, and my criteria was quite strict

metallic green
manual
vx
no aircon
no cruise
fsh
preferable one owner
close as poss to 100k
not off roaded

and thats what i ended up with.

found it on pistonheads one Sunday evening and collected her next afternoon - even though the seller said dont come because someone else said they were coming to buy. I went anyway (bought a one way ticket on the train) and low and behold the other party failed to show.

You will get the right one, must be patient, but be ready to strike fast when she , sorry for you its an it, shows herself (itself).

Good luck mate.

Have you seen this one Chris?

Petrol and sequential LPG fitted. Nice colour too (rare colour and the same blue I think the same blue as the one Paul bought from me last year).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1996-TOYOTA-LANDC ... 500wt_1182

I can get to Liverpool if you want me to take a look for you so you'll know if it's worth a trip for you to view. Only 45 minutes away from me and I'd be happy to do it for you if it helps. Obviously no guarantees if I inspect (that said I used to be a trader so have a pretty good idea of what to look for).

Indeed - not your style at all ;-)

(Hijack over??)

Where is Chris today? Has he bought one over the weekend??

He's gone down souf
Battered and Blue said:
Of down South West for a couple of days in the morning. Have to keep my eyes peeled :shock:

C

Thanks fellas but think I will hold out for an oil burner. Away on iPhone tonight with no 3g or wifi so surfing is slow will look when I get back but many thank for the help really appreciated

chris

adrianr said:
Hi Chris

I waited months for the right one to appear, and my criteria was quite strict

metallic green
quote]

Funny that, I really do not like Green cars, mine is the dark metallic green in fact it is almost black but I think the colour is growing on me, all bar one person have said what a great colour it is and that I should not respray it too the metallic red I like.

Hmmm decisions decisions,

regards

Dave

Stay green Dave ;-)

I do like the red too though...

Back