Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Buying an 80 - deal breakers

Is that Lee from 7 Star autos? If so I can recommend you. Remember I phoned about that 1 owner green 80 you had and I went to see the owner in Droitwich who told me it was a really good car? Well I was coming down next day to buy it and my 3 year old 20,000 mile golf failed. NO NO NO it's true. Read my posts where the fuel pump tore itself apart. Never buy a 1 owner Diesel golf :icon-biggrin:.

Be warned - this is a very poor Landcruiser from a seller who is wasting people's time, apparently this vehicle has rust starting in numerous places, air-con pump has been removed, etc, etc... very misleading
advert!

thanks for that
shopping for an 80's a PIA
looks like you need to know the owner personally or through a friend
i hate buying anything older than 1 owner, 5 years/50k miles anyway
so i'm gona have a problem finding a 20 year old 'straight' 80

cheers

thanks for that
shopping for an 80's a PIA
looks like you need to know the owner personally or through a friend
i hate buying anything older than 1 owner, 5 years/50k miles anyway
so i'm gona have a problem finding a 20 year old 'straight' 80

cheers
shopping for an 80 is definitely a pain in the ass. first off, there's not a great deal of them about. i reckoned all the good ones were probably exported early on in life. secondly, they're usually bought for work and are well used. thirdly, if a good one at a reasonable price comes on, then a dealer pounce on it and strap on a hefty profit too. but on the bright side, there are low mileage, 1 owner from new ones out there. i know an elderly man who has had his from brand new, 1998 r-reg amazon, not even done 80k. Deep green, etc etc. it's gorgeous and gets my heart racing everytime i see it.

i should ask for first shout at it one of these days. ha

When i see "good" trucks going for like 8 or 9 grand or more and poor trucks going for like 3 or 4 grand or less i always think to myself what couldn't you fix with around 5 grand set aside for maintenance . Surely nothing gives confidence like knowing for certain that all the usual suspects that might fail are brand new making the trucks history is irrelevant .

I just read a bit of this thread, what a difference the criteria here in the states. We have no choice within a year model on engine trans or T-case and no diesels or manuals. my 80 series holy grail is a "poverty package". NO sunroof,fender flares or split rear windows. I do not mind the split windows but no holes to weld in after removing flares would same me a lot of work. No leaking Sun roof, you bet!!

I look at the body first and interior after that. Odds are I will be rebuilding axles and suspension and doing a motor swap in it at some point anyway. Although there are some cases that break the rules. I bought a 95 with lockers and a "blown" motor for $750.00, sold the ugly aftermarket bumper for $250 and put a set of BFG ATs on it from another 80 I had bought. The PO had put a new radiator in it that cracked on the lower tank so Heather tracked down where the radiator was purchased and got me a new one under warranty, great wife!

Turns out it has a wrist pin knock, or that's the consensus. She has been driving it for 18 months or so. She commandeered it as her own. She has also told me that I need to build sliders for it and bumper it up and a 2.5" lift install because she wants to wheel this summer. We'll trailer it to where we will wheel, she is gonna break it for sure.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Is that Lee from 7 Star autos? If so I can recommend you. Remember I phoned about that 1 owner green 80 you had and I went to see the owner in Droitwich who told me it was a really good car? Well I was coming down next day to buy it and my 3 year old 20,000 mile golf failed. NO NO NO it's true. Read my posts where the fuel pump tore itself apart. Never buy a 1 owner Diesel golf :icon-biggrin:.

Yes that's right Lee from 7 Star here, we do look out for 1 owner vehicles and the green 80 we had earlier this year did generate a lot of interest, I think you would have bought it if you had a chance to see it:icon-smile:, Cheers Lee

Hmm not sure about that one. 1993 k plate so clearly not an Amazon. Roof rails? How well have they been fitted? And one side turbo sticker missing so you have to wonder about re sprays
Lot of money for a 93

Agreed Chris, the colour on the tailgate looks wrong too. Something off about that one.

When i see "good" trucks going for like 8 or 9 grand or more and poor trucks going for like 3 or 4 grand or less i always think to myself what couldn't you fix with around 5 grand set aside for maintenance . Surely nothing gives confidence like knowing for certain that all the usual suspects that might fail are brand new making the trucks history is irrelevant .

Ive said that many times Shane.

Looks and reads OK. A 24v auto regarded by many as the most desirable version. For the spec and at that price it looks a good buy but, as has been said many times, seeing it in the metal is essential.
been for sale ages as well

That's an import? So no front or rear lockers? Looks good otherwise though...

TBF this has a lot going for it and not much not going for it. Yes it needs a close inspection but if its anywhere as good as it looks there is a ton of money not to spend. It has leather interior which is rare for an import but a bonus in my opinion as I dont particularly like the "suede" the imports usually have. The last import auto 24V I ran (the green one) was a pleasure to drive and returned a consistent 25mpg.
Although I'm not looking to buy another 80 at the min if I didn't have one and was looking this would certainly be viewed and considered as a £5K 80 can quickly become a £7K 80 without much effort before any "bells and whistles" are added.

Andy

The ad says London but the postcode given (HP51NH) is Chesham 33 miles north of London.

Back