Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Buying an 80 - deal breakers

Gavlad said:
Stay green Dave ;-)

I do like the red too though...

In the bright sun the metallic really shows out and the pain is in good condition so think it can stay for a while, to do it properly is a lot of money with the door shuts ect.

regards

Dave

Here's tip - make sure it comes with a spare key and it works the immobiliser!!

Lose the main key and you are a world of monetary pain.

Resurrecting - given we're a few years down the line, any other pointers to look out for?

Key seems to be leaks, steering knuckles and CVs and the under sill/water trap area rust and upper tailgate rust. What else (for a 24v manual diesel)?

Rust on the rear arch where it meets the door, only on the right side?

regards

Dave

Tricky thing is Gary that not all of these thisng are immediately aopparent. Not on simple inspection on the owner's drive. I've had a couple where I thought the rear inner arches were sound only to later find they were gone completely. All repaired now and super sound, but a bit of a surprise. Most owners will be blissfully unaware that theirs are rotten. They seem to go from the inside out. I have found condensation on the inside of the quarter panels and this runs down and tracks along the joint between the arch and the wing. If they haven't gone then it's a very easy area to treat with your favourite rust preventer. If they have gone, it's not a hard repair, but should technically be welded I understand.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Toyota Landcruiser 80 series GS model 1995 133000 miles. TDS 9500 winch with synthetic rope plus 40ft extension. Snorkel, Alisport intercooler OME suspension. Full service in November 2014 to Toyota specifications including new brake calipers all round and all drive belts. New wheel bearings and CV,s June this year, both front half shafts are fitted with Speedy Sleeves. Centre difflock changed to push button, front and rear axle lockers all operational. Oil changed at least every 3000 miles with Toyota filter. Colour very dark green, Toyota colour reference (6M1) Bodywork in good condition, robust seat covers on front seats. 4 very low mileage BFG all terrains on alloys and 8 Toyota steel wheels, 4 with low mileage BFG mud terrains fitted. Danita 3000 UK CB Radio. Available shortly. £ 8500 ish. Build date April 95. Intercooler fitted by Julian V.
John

Toyota Landcruiser 80 series GS model 1995 133000 miles. TDS 9500 winch with synthetic rope plus 40ft extension. Snorkel, Alisport intercooler OME suspension. Full service in November 2014 to Toyota specifications including new brake calipers all round and all drive belts. New wheel bearings and CV,s June this year, both front half shafts are fitted with Speedy Sleeves. Centre difflock changed to push button, front and rear axle lockers all operational. Oil changed at least every 3000 miles with Toyota filter. Colour very dark green, Toyota colour reference (6M1) Bodywork in good condition, robust seat covers on front seats. 4 very low mileage BFG all terrains on alloys and 8 Toyota steel wheels, 4 with low mileage BFG mud terrains fitted. Danita 3000 UK CB Radio. Available shortly. £ 8500 ish. Build date April 95. Intercooler fitted by Julian V.
John

Id be interested in that. Tried PM'ing you though doesn't seem to work

John

what colour?

auto/manual?

cheers

It is dark green as it says. Toyota colour code is 6M1 as it says. Manual as it does not say but does now.
John

i must learn to read slower when i'm excited

manual,that's me out then

cheers

All GS's are manual as are all UK spec 80's after Aug 95 with a 24V engine.

Be warned - this is a very poor Landcruiser from a seller who is wasting people's time, apparently this vehicle has rust starting in numerous places, air-con pump has been removed, etc, etc... very misleading
advert!

Tricky thing is Gary that not all of these thisng are immediately aopparent. Not on simple inspection on the owner's drive. I've had a couple where I thought the rear inner arches were sound only to later find they were gone completely. All repaired now and super sound, but a bit of a surprise. Most owners will be blissfully unaware that theirs are rotten. They seem to go from the inside out. I have found condensation on the inside of the quarter panels and this runs down and tracks along the joint between the arch and the wing. If they haven't gone then it's a very easy area to treat with your favourite rust preventer. If they have gone, it's not a hard repair, but should technically be welded I understand.
Hi

are you referring to the wheel wells ("inner arches"), or the body thats hidden behind the rear bumper corners?

Inner arches where the inner arch meets the body panel. The bit where the wheels go round and round.

do you prefer the manual Andy?

cheers
TBF I had an auto 80 for 16 years and never got fed up of driving it. That said I now drive a Manual 97 GX and I like driving that too, but it might be the novelty of the stick/pedal arrangement. In todays traffic, especially stop start the auto wins hands down.
Having been fortunate enough to have owned probably the two best 80 off roaders around one manual the other auto, I would say I prefered the overall greater control offered by the auto, leaving a greater proportion of available concentration to be channeled elsewhere.
If I had to choose to jump just one way it would be AUTO.

Andy

Inner arches where the inner arch meets the body panel. The bit where the wheels go round and round.
Hi

thanks for clarifying. was just checking over mine. they're all ok. same cant be said for the body hidden behind the rear bumper corners, sadly. however it doesnt really bother me, as where it's located it can be remedied quickly without having to worry how it looks, so long as it's sound.

before i got this 80, i looked at at least 3 and they were all rotten behind the bumper corners.

Back