Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Camping, B&B's in the Lake District

Bert

Country Flag
great_britain
Fellows. We're planning our Scotland trip and were wondering about camping or BnB'ing it halfway up around the Lake District, adjacent to the M6. Can anybody recommend somewhere we can go? A little off roading along the way up would also be nice, but we need to hussle to Inverness to start the journey round the coast. Can anyone help? Oh, we're going about 18/19th August for the Lakes... cheers, Simon

Anybody? Anybody at all? Surely someone has some advice?

My ACSI app only shows one Camping site close to M6 and lakes, @ Penrith

This one

IMG_2551.PNG

We did atravelodge on our way up last year,, think it was Kendal? Right near where Stan lives, he should be able to point u in the right direction ,drop him a pm

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mains Farm in Penrith is great - stayed a couple of times - its a working farm, very chilled - good couple of pubs within walking distance...

My so far favorite to recomend campsite in the lake district is this one.
Be warned you will not get a caravan in to the site ;)

My so far favorite to recomend campsite in the lake district is this one.
Be warned you will not get a caravan in to the site ;)
Thanks Julian. Caravans are of no concern. We'd be tenting it most of the way, as long as the hydrostatic head is as good as it's supposed to be

So now the Good Woman is worried about midges. So, Scotland or the Pyrenees?

Pyrenees, but the question is when and where ;)

Sorry I have not been to Scotland yet but I have seen the Pyrenees twice and I do not, sadly, feel qualified to say which areas you should go see, there is so much to see that I have been surprised every time.

As for midges I have yet to experience them in the lake district and I have been there about 15 times now, in all seasons, driving through, hotel, b&b and camping.

So now the Good Woman is worried about midges. So, Scotland or the Pyrenees?
Pyrenees, but the question is when and where ;)

Sorry I have not been to Scotland yet but I have seen the Pyrenees twice and I do not, sadly, feel qualified to say which areas you should go see, there is so much to see that I have been surprised every time.

As for midges I have yet to experience them in the lake district and I have been there about 15 times now, in all seasons, driving through, hotel, b&b and camping.
Hi Julian. The Good Woman is more worried about midges in Scotland rather than the Lake District. We've experienced hoards of them in Wales a few years back and they were right little buggers. So anyway, she was looking at routes last night when I mentioned that someone else on the forum (sorry, can't remember who it was) said the Pyrenees weren't that much farther so now we are in a quandary......

IME, you need to go to Scotland early in the season to avoid midges, May time is when we enjoyed Scotland the most.

High summer can be a nightmare, June/July, but I have no experience later on in August.

I can say I really liked Lac d'Aubert in the Pyrenees the last time I was there, swambo who wanted to go hated it as she suffers from vertigo and the altitude got to her, we went via Rocamadour in France, and the drive south on the D173 into Spain from there was very nice, we stopped there for the night en-route to Portugal.

I can say I really liked Lac d'Aubert in the Pyrenees the last time I was there, swambo who wanted to go hated it as she suffers from vertigo and the altitude got to her, we went via Rocamadour in France.....
It looks as though the Pyrenees are winning. The GW is already looking at campsites. I think that we can base at one, and venture left and right. Can you recommend some decent off roadish trails? I love swambo, brilliant :)

Wikiloc has loads of routes on it.

Some nice trails around and west of Andorra. Starting near Veilha

Back