Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CANCELLED: Plains play day and braai 20 August

Re: Plains play day and braai 20 August

uhem, add them the the list? :dance:

We're going to have to pull out ....

we were over that way (near Romsey) over the weekend and it's too far for anna to travel ....

very sorry to pull out .. but Anna comes first

List? Would if i knew how :oops:

How do i find the mm file i need to send?

1 vehicle less now, Mrs Trev not coming in the 120 but myself and Chris will still be in the 70. Really hoping the event is still on.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I'm also an unlikely starter as this stage. Apparently I have committed myself to another weekend function.... :violin:

I'm still in :)

Are we having a proper charcoal braai, or is it gas/disposable braais? I am wondering if I should bring my little Weber charcoal braai?

Just got off the phone with Salisbury Plain (Range Ops Room 01980 674951) and the news is NOT GOOD. :thumbdown:

They are half way through operations which will run into next weekend and the beginning of next week with very limited movement allowed across the area. This does not look good for our plans and propose we move the weekend?

Warren, are there any other routes or lanes that can be done outside of the red flag areas?

Trevor

Not knowing the area like the back of my hand I would find it hard to answer that question. When Tony and I where there last weekend there red flags flying at every junction. We went over to Bulford Camp to see if we could get in from that side and there where flags everywhere.

Now I am not sure if they will be changing the area over the week but when I asked the chap in the opps room if there was anywhere we could come down and have a drive about his answer was "Best not as I cannot guarantee what will be open or closed as we are running one of our largest operations over the weekend".

Happy to wait and see if someone with a better understanding of the area has anything else to say/recommend.

I was so looking forward to getting out.

Me too, I did go out laning last year with some guys in Wiltshire not too far away but don't have the knowledge either. Hoping someone has something on MM that would do at short notice.

Wont be attending guys, truck will still be in bits at the weekend.

I think the best thing to do on this day out is to CANCEL so that those who where thinking of attending can make alternative plans for the day. Sorry to have to do this but I don’t know enough routes for a full day out without having to go onto the plain and so it seems pointless going all that way.

If anyone wants to propose a new date for the future please do and we will see if we can get this to go ahead.

Have a good weekend all and sorry for the inconvenience.

p.s could one of the mods change the title of the thread to include "Cancelled"

Its a shame, if i could be certain that i could attend then i would lead a group but work is so unpredictable due to the weather.
If we set a date a bit later then i can go. What was popular some time ago was day to take some people on known routes, but stopping many times and get people to plot the routes themselves so they could do it again at any time. Quite a slow pace but good map reading exercise, could even setup some simple map and compass courses.

Warren, you know any lanes nearer your area that we could do instead?

Trevor

I dont know many if any lanes my way, there is one down in Surrey that was posted in the "database2 but i have never done it and so am not sure of its legal status or condition. There is someone in the Surrey area that knows more than I do but cant seem to find the thread.

I want to go but cant seem to load the page so have no idea if its on today or tomorrow?

If tomorrow then i will do my best to pop down and take a look...hope the site loads later in the day.

I went for Sat & Sun, but if you didn't go you didn't miss much, the Berkshire 4x4 show http://www.berkshire4x4show.co.uk/index.htm wasn't really any better than last year, there was only one trader (R & G, selling anything vaguely connected with 4x4 but nearly all LR related) one stand with CB stuff, and one person who turned up on Sun with auto jumble bits & pieces, mostly it was food stands and things for kiddies, toys etc. :thumbdown:
The stands were situated much too far from the sides of the arenas so it all looked too spread out.
There were three arenas, so it was a matter of going from one to the other to see whatever attractions were happening at the time. There was a monster truck jumping cars :thumbup:, a display by a hovercraft racing group which was interesting :thumbup: , I got a ride in a small two seater one, that was great fun, I managed to cling on for dear life and not fall out :dance:, displays by junior motorbike riders (one was only four yrs old :o ) a dog search and rescue group, :thumbup: a stunt group, quite good :|, but like all the others the commentary was given over to the performers so most unfortunately sounded a bit amateurish, and just about the worst display of all was a wrestling display, so predictable :roll:
One chap I met up with again from previous years was the Reverend Tyrone Glover, a genuine Rev who runs The Church of 4x4 http://www.churchof4x4.co.uk/ dedicated to drivers who worship their vehicles, all a bit tongue in cheek but genuine all the same, as an example;

The Church Prayer

Our father who art in heaven,
Offroading by thy name,
Thy mud will come,
It will be done,
On earth as it is in heaven,
Give us this day our daily fuel,
And don't let any of us trespass,
As we forgive those what despise us,
And lead us not onto tarmac,
And deliver us from roadways,
For thine is the 4x4,