Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Coleman

Gary820

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
I think I know what the answer is going to be but.....

I'm wanting a new stove for camping, Lily enjoyed her trip and can't wait to go again, my 2 small gas stoves are ok but want something better.
Looking at the Coleman dual burner and have seen that people rate them. Are they the way to go?
On offer currently at go outdoors too with free delivery £99. Seems a good deal. Opinions?

Check e- bay Gary. I saw some virtually unused ones this week when I was buying some spare parts for mine seeing as I dropped a rear disc on mine in the garage. Oooof. Do not be scared of a used one. Your new one will look used in a short time anyway.

We have debated this long and hard before. Let me say this. Are they the best option out there? I can't say I haven't seen or used every one available. Do I have one? No I have 2.

There you go.

Gary just looked and there is a dozen on there now. Honestly no stove look like new for long and you can save a heap of money buying used. I have just repainted mine with Rustoleum BBQ and Stove paint in green for £8.00 and it looks smashing. Watch one nearing the end and whack a last minute bid on it.

Here's the one. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coleman-D...REE-POSTAGE-/371396385240?hash=item5678f319d8

Last edited:
Cheers Chris. That one does look good and worth a bid.
My little gas ones have always been fine when it's just me, I've used all of my gas supplies up, figured time to look for something better, not like I'll run out of fuel for it while out and about!

Took me a while to finally buy a Colman Gary. Wish I'd have bought one years ago.

I have been thinking as well but when you see the flames that come out of Karls I think twice...

Lol Stu.

It's just fun seeing how high you can get them. Joking aside, I shxt myself every time I light it :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Lol Stu.

It's just fun seeing how high you can get them. Joking aside, I shxt myself every time I light it :lol:

I was thinking that about Gary or more specifically Lily , its a chance in a million but you wouldn't want her copying dad while he's under the truck or somewhere and deciding to put the kettle on for him .

Under the truck!?? I drive an 80 series but you did say chance in a million :lol:

Tbh lily is very good with stuff like that and seems more sensible then me at times!! Tells me to be careful when cooking at home never mind camping

Lol Stu.

Yeah, me too, so I keep a fire blanket and extinguisher close by.
fart-036.gif

Last edited:
Is it only mine that the flames go six foot high on or does it happen on other people's? Maybe I just turn it up too much to light it.

Karl, it shouldn't do that. Somehow it's not running correctly. If you start with no pressure in the tank, twist the plunger pump, put thumb over hole, pump 30 times, twist the plunger back, turn the little wire toggle up, open the valve, wait until you hear hissing and see white mist then light it and it doesn't run properly like a normal gas hob at home, then something's wrong. I think that the long pipe (called the generator) might be sooted up or something. Mine just runs like a normal cooker. Occasionally I get what's called a flare up where the flames are yellow and 4" high. Just turn it off, blow it out and re light it.

I think yours needs looking at.

Is it only mine that the flames go six foot high on or does it happen on other people's? Maybe I just turn it up too much to light it.
I've only had mine go up about a foot, but it makes you jump a bit when it does.

They are awesome Gary you won't regret buying it.

I've had mine probably 3ft high but pretty sure this is from over pumping as Chris has said. I've also had trouble solving a persistent yellow flame which turned out to be the burner itself being dirty and clogged up. Once cleaned it was as good as new.

They also have a few diff models that have differing heat outputs ... I think it would be worth trying to track down the high output one. I'm not sure what the actual differences are between models that gives the higher outputs ... Anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

424 is the one you need. I think the 442 was an older model.

Just doing some more googling on this ... looks like the more powerful one has a 414 designation.

Grant that's very interesting. I have never seen that Powerhouse model before and I'm always looking at these things. Not sure the extra BTUs are necessary I have to say. It's damn hot as it is. Still, they exist and therefore I must have one.

Damn it's huge

Last edited:
Got out bid on the bay but some others to go at. I will have one in the next few days :icon-biggrin:

Is it better to use the bottled fuel or just chuck some super unleaded in?

Got out bid on the bay but some others to go at. I will have one in the next few days :icon-biggrin:

Is it better to use the bottled fuel or just chuck some super unleaded in?

I've found brake cleaner to burn the cleanest ... if you have a handy supply at work it would be a bonus for you. I do find unleaded to burn more fumey if using in an enclosed space otherwise it's perfectly fine.

Our brake cleaner is in aerosol unfortunately, it does burn very well tho :whistle: plenty other flammable stuff in 5 litre tins lol. Advantage with unleaded i guess I can always pop the fuel line off, switch ignition on and re fill the stove.

I'm looking at an awning for the back of the 80 anyway so should always have an outside shelter to cook under.

Back