Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Collie 2.7 petrol

greengrass

Country Flag
england
Has anyone ever come into contact with a Collie with a 2.7 petrol lump under the bonnet?????

One of my customers has one hiding somewhere and is looking to off load it, just wondered its worth picking up if the price is right. Was thinking about using it as a spare hack over the winter months.

Anybody ever driven one??

Wondering if you really have to drive it or weather its got enough power to pull itself around easily. Remember the small petrol engine disco's they did, wouldn't pull a greasy man out of bed. :icon-biggrin:

Anybody ever driven one??

Wondering if you really have to drive it or weather its got enough power to pull itself around easily. Remember the small petrol engine disco's they did, wouldn't pull a greasy man out of bed. :icon-biggrin:

I had a look at one of those Disco's (The MPi version) in the late 90's when I was after one and ended up with a Tdi. It used a 4cyl 2liter engine from a Rover car. To use your phrase, you really had to 'drive' it. It had much less torque than the other Disco variants with a max of 137lb/ft at 2500prm and max power developed at 6000rpm so could feel quite anaemic low down. LR realised this as the MPi had a much lower towing rating. The Collie engine has a fair bit more torque than this, albeit higher up the rev range so may not feel quite as lethargic at the bottom end but will obviously feel so compared to the TD and larger V6 petrol engined models. I'm assuming the Collie and Disco are of similar kerb weights.

Drive it and see is the simple answer i can't see it being a problem i think many of the old Hilux used quite small petrol engines , a Surf is bigger than a Prado90 and a pickup is rated to carry what - a ton on its bed ? probably has different gearing but its a Toyota so its not likely to resemble an old Landrover performance wise .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's the same 2.7 as was used in the same age HiLux, so as others have said it's not too bad. I've used the engine in a HiLux ute, which was pretty good.

A reasonably common vehicle over here in Australia; the big thing here is they are all narrow track and no flares, as well as a single tank as opposed to the twin tank.

Hope that helps a bit.

Back