Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diff guards?

pberrey

Country Flag
uk
As i was driving Strata Florida this weekend I realised I didn't have any diff guards and i haven't heard anyone mention them on the forum. I presume such a basic accessory is available though? Can someone point me towards a vendor please?

Thanks

Paul.

And you'd need one for an 80 series why exactly?

The diff pans on Toyotas are a damn sight stronger than a landrovers, not really needed IMO, but I do have one just because it looks good lol

When I first got my current 80 I had diff guards fitted front and rear not knowing at the time that 80's didn't really need them, probably as Andy said I had seen them on a LR :oops:
The front one was attached by the bolts that hold the diff together which eventually caused the diff to weep oil so it was removed on the advice of Julian V and has been OK ever since. The rear is still in place with no leaks apparent (I can't remember how that one attaches) so as it ain't broke I won't fix it . . . . yet. :pray:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Did you drive the bomb hole on strata? Were the water levels still low?

Gwyn lewis weld on ones fit well. I have one on the front. Got for when you hit rocks!!

Gwyn lewis weld on ones fit well. I have one on the front. Got for when you hit rocks!!

My 80 has hit a few rocks in it's time, result Cruiser 1 (or more) rocks 0.

Your a brave man with than one Chris! :icon-biggrin:

Remember the old one "god forgives, rocks do not!"

That said I have also ran my cruiser without diff guards and no issues to date, Ive killed many a LR diff pan in my time though (even ones guarded), so they must have much more inherent strength.

If you are going to guard up (certainly no harm in doing so) as mentioned above, weld on not bolt on, they either cause leaking or bent studs or just fall off - never rely on the wrap around clamp type, its just a matter of time before you lose it.

Did you drive the bomb hole on strata? Were the water levels still low?

Yes and yes although it was raining constantly so I wouldn't take it as a given that the levels will remain low. It might take a day or two for it to run off the fields and hills??

We had a good day on Friday, a comfortable camp overnight and a less good day on Saturday. Some lanes must have had a gate every 100yds and twice property owners claimed we were on private land when Memory Map clearly had us located on the byway. 99% of the time it's just not worth arguing the toss. We decided we'd had enough soft laning and went home a day early but all in all it was a good trip.

Rgds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your a brave man with than one Chris! :icon-biggrin:

Remember the old one "god forgives, rocks do not!"

That said I have also ran my cruiser without diff guards and no issues to date, Ive killed many a LR diff pan in my time though (even ones guarded), so they must have much more inherent strength.

If you are going to guard up (certainly no harm in doing so) as mentioned above, weld on not bolt on, they either cause leaking or bent studs or just fall off - never rely on the wrap around clamp type, its just a matter of time before you lose it.

With most diff gaurds you loose some ground clearance meaning you could actually make it worse off road!

I've never heard of or seen anyone break a Toyota diff housing, or a Suzuki one! :icon-twisted:

Landrovers and Jeeps need them because their weak! :thumbdown:

Not trying hard enough then Chas ;)

I have not holed a LC one yet, but then I have a diff guard fitted ;). But there's always a first time!!

Back