Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Elecronic Diesel Tuning Devices

Damn it i have metrinch sockets in my set and never gave them a thought , i've been cursing my Halfords socket set from day one because the proper 6 face sockets we use every day such as 12mm can only be used on the tiny ratchet handle unless you also use an adapter socket which in this case there is no room for . I guess i will try again tomorrow . If i can get a proper grip on the nut the power steering will crack the nut for me if i tie the spanner to the wheel :icon-wink:

I couldn't get those nuts undone at all so I blocked my EGR valve off on the other side by the valve itself. If you cut out the bolt holes into slots all you have to do is loosen the bolts off, lever the pipe away from the inlet manifold and just drop the plate in. Tighten up the bolts and job done. Doesn't matter which side the blank goes as long as its stopping the exhaust gases getting to the inlet manifold.

I've undone all the other bolts without much trouble its just that one i can't budge , its so tight i can't really apply pressure to the spanner in a parallel line as you should , if i could get a spanner to grip well on the nut it would turn even if i'm pulling 10 degrees in wrong direction . If i can't get it tomorrow i will prob just block the plastic pipe on the EGR valve .

Ah i see what you mean Steve i can undo the EGR valve easy enough so i could bolt a plate in there :think: it would be better than blocking the rubber pipe . I would still prefer to stop the gas ever leaving the zorst though .

Last edited:
Any way to tell EGR is blocked already ?

I am in the middle of having another go at blocking the EGR only this time i removed all the underbody protection panels so i could actually see the offending nut .

It looks to me like there are 2 thin metal plates in there already which would explain why the nut i can't get undone is slightly rounded making it hard to get a grip of . It's hard to see and even harder to take a pic but i expanded the pic to get a clearer view . If you can see the plates in the pic they stick out the same on the other side too which makes me think they are very unlikely to be gaskets .

Opinions please .

egr0042_zps860183a7.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm, I really don't recognise that pic but it looks like the underside of the EGR unit, I just loosened off the bolts where the gasket is in this link - http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_199607_TOYOTA_LAND+CRUISER_KZJ90L-GJMNTW_2501.html - part no 25627. I got a gasket from my toyo dealer, fashioned a blanking plate in the same shape and put two slots at the bolt holes so it could slide in without me having to disassemble the unit. Seems to be working, I have some build-up outside where I loosed it off though, think maybe the gasket is on the wrong side of the blanking plate? Cannot remember though.

I guess this answers my question - it's already blocked i reckon :banana-wrench:

tHROTTLEBODY001_zpsad99c375.jpg
tHROTTLEBODY002_zps6941f01d.jpg
tHROTTLEBODY004_zpsbb9b4936.jpg
tHROTTLEBODY005_zpseb408365.jpg

And i haven't cleaned it yet :icon-biggrin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hmmm, I really don't recognise that pic but it looks like the underside of the EGR unit, I just loosened off the bolts where the gasket is in this link - http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_199607_TOYOTA_LAND+CRUISER_KZJ90L-GJMNTW_2501.html - part no 25627. I got a gasket from my toyo dealer, fashioned a blanking plate in the same shape and put two slots at the bolt holes so it could slide in without me having to disassemble the unit. Seems to be working, I have some build-up outside where I loosed it off though, think maybe the gasket is on the wrong side of the blanking plate? Cannot remember though.

Almost dead centre on the pic running crossways between the other bar/pipes you can see maybe an inch of the foot long stainless pipe which connects at the other end to the EGR valve . There is a nut above and below and on the opposite side of the bottom nut you can just about see 2 thin metal plates . If these plates were anything original from Toyota i'm pretty sure they would sit flush and i wouldn't be able to see them .

Sweet! That was nice of a previous owner ;)

I am looking at intercoolers, there are so many out there but nothing really suitable (suitably priced that is) for the 90, as in bolt on, no adjustments and add ons, tailor made jobby. So think I'm going to do a DIY and got something like this. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-UNIVERS...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20ba19fb2a

What do you think? Just as effective as the £900 ones? Don't get the price difference in intercooler kits tbh?

I've been looking at the same but for me it needs to be top mount and then i'd need a bonnet vent cost cost cost , though i could just get rid of my aircon and fit that in its place in front of the rad . But i really am starting to wonder if its worth it . While messing around today i wondered about wrapping copper pipe all around the throttle body and connecting it to the radiator so cold water is pumped around cooling the air inside a little more . That's when i realized i am seeking a solution for something that isn't actually a problem :doh:

Don't mean to go too much off topic, but why top mount? Handier? Less boost loss? I am in Ireland with out LSD rear diff and no air con so I think I have more room in the engine bay for the front mount.

Any ideas as to the price difference in intercooler kits? Don't want to buy an absolute dud.

I want top mount because i want as much air as possible going through my standard rad when off road also i have a fair bit of room on top of my engine because i have a body lift . If i were you i would be looking for the intercooler from a D4D Prado , it should fit straight on but i think you will have to relocate the throttle plate and find a different throttle cable to fit . Theres a Prado intercooler on ebay right now for £130 but you will also need the plastic cover that seals it when the bonnet is shut and and the rubber scoops that go under the bonnet at the front of the engine . They force air into the channels inside your bonnet and down into the cooler , check your bonnet under the soundproofing you can feel an obvious hollow in the centre underside where the cooler was intended to sit .

Some years back I bought a top mount intercooler from off of a Mitsi L200 for just £30 to fit to my Zuk Vit 1.9TD Commercial. The reason I bring this up it that it had a cooling fan fitted and a control thermostat that would offer an advantage over just having a top mounted intercooler with a bonnet scoop.

P5160042.jpg

1.jpg

http://www.shropshire-suzuki.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8128&hilit=intercooler

P5040221.jpg

P5040222.jpg

P5040223.jpg

On one of the Imprezas that we owned over the years we had one that had a button that when spressed sprayed water across the top of the intercooler to aid with rapid cooling, just another thought :) ;)

Last edited:
When I fit my intercooler I might modify the headlight washer to spray the intercooler. I disconnected them anyway when I fitted the bullbar.

Just booked my truck in for the new exhaust and Charlie obviously wasn't so busy today so had time to chat about the intercooler . He says the intercooler from an L200 Warrior should fit without much fabrication but may need a bonnet scoop :think: the plot thickens .........

Just booked my truck in for the new exhaust and Charlie obviously wasn't so busy today so had time to chat about the intercooler . He says the intercooler from an L200 Warrior should fit without much fabrication but may need a bonnet scoop :think: the plot thickens .........

Once again im watching with interest:icon-cool:

Any more updates here? Looking at KZJ90 thread is also a good read, seems to just fool the turbo into boosting more. Still have not got an answer yet, do a need a chip or can I do all myself?

OK so got my 3" exhaust and an intercooler fitted and while i'm happy with the results i still feel they could be improved upon . Upping the fuel as Beau suggests seems an obvious way forward ,,,,,, but ,,,,, so far mods have definitely hurt my fuel consumption . I'm thinking now i need to balance fuel against air . I haven't yet connected the electrics (both intercooler and main loom have matching connections only slightly too short to meet) I am hoping that the ECU will recognize the intercooler and automatically adjust fueling accordingly :pray:

If that doesn't work the only thing i can think of to do is have the ECU remapped can anyone tell me more about remapping without the use of a rolling road . From what i can tell they just use preset maps which leaves me in doubt as to its worth given my truck is no longer standard platform . Or am i wrong and the technicians can read and adjust whats going on so to balance things out ?

OK so got my 3" exhaust and an intercooler fitted and while i'm happy with the results i still feel they could be improved upon . Upping the fuel as Beau suggests seems an obvious way forward ,,,,,, but ,,,,, so far mods have definitely hurt my fuel consumption . I'm thinking now i need to balance fuel against air . I haven't yet connected the electrics (both intercooler and main loom have matching connections only slightly too short to meet) I am hoping that the ECU will recognize the intercooler and automatically adjust fueling accordingly :pray:

If that doesn't work the only thing i can think of to do is have the ECU remapped can anyone tell me more about remapping without the use of a rolling road . From what i can tell they just use preset maps which leaves me in doubt as to its worth given my truck is no longer standard platform . Or am i wrong and the technicians can read and adjust whats going on so to balance things out ?

The ECU wont change with the new intercooler at all and will send the same amount of fuel in. All the standard intercooled 90 series had a different ECU specific to the Intercooler so unless you can get hold of one of those, you'll have to adjust the fueling at the pump. There is a very expensive (£1500) back up ECU I found which controls both fuel and boost and has seen significant gains but the price has put off people. The best thing you can do is adjust the fueling on a rolling road until you've seen maximum gains.

I've been away and still am so was not able on doing a guide on turning it up. Hopefully Christmas time!

Back